• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grilling with Infrared?? better or not? 1200 F

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I am looking to get a new grill and there is a infra red option that cooks meat 3 times faster but bore improtantly thisis how the high end steak places sar in the juices of the meat on a great steak?
    thisis the way to have warm red center and blackened outside

Anyone using infrared, also the cost of the grill is a lot more ??

Re: Grilling with Infrared?? better or not? 1200 F

Nope, never considered it. Good Natural chunk charcoal has heat that does the same thing, sears in the outside, leaving a nice blue or rare inside. The trick with a steak on a grill is getting a level of heat that you prefer for your meat.
    Infra Red has one huge advantage in a commercial kitchen. It keeps the cooks out of the doctor's office from the sinus issues that prevail from exposure to char broilers and all the grease in the air.
    I of course am old school and will only use Panty 6's gas grill when she's in a big hurry. I have made sure it has the right stuff burned onto the plates over the gas to give the flavors and the gas holes are always scrubbed for high performance. Nothing gets hotter than my big firebox using those chunks of natural charcoal though, that stuff is HOT!

Of course if you want speed, cleanliness, and that sanitized system and have the bucks to throw down for a infra red system, go for it. Me, I like the other stuff and having the money for things like harley parts, bourbon and cigars and such

I have a TEC and paid 1200 for it. YOU WILL FUCK FOOD UP for the first few times. The grill is only good for steaks. I have used mine for about 6 years. I have had it for 10 years. I now use charcoal exclusive. If you want my TEC I will give it to you just come and get it.

Problems with Infra red grills are burners and grates. Make sure you buy a good one that will warranty for 10 years.

Rich

I've got a very high end professional gas grill that has this feature. There is nothing that compares with charcoal for taste. But for convenience in the dead of winter this thing can't be topped. And yeah in ND we got a lot of dead of winter. I grilled some filets for Christmas on it, in my garage...some of the best steak I've ever had. Sear the steaks over the hot IR burners, and then move to a regular burner for finishing.

The Big Green Egg is one of the best deals going. You can smoke or grill and it is extremely efficient. There is a small learning curve to it. But some of the best meals I've ever had have been cooked on one. I've had smoked meats, grilled fish, grilled veggies and meat, pizzas, potatoes, and I'm sure I am forgetting something. All turned out wonderful.

Eddie

If you don't have kitchen staff to constantly be cleaning the holes and grates in an infared then the pain in the ass is not worth the extra performance.

Charcoal is the best.

I close the hood on mine and turn on everything when it needs cleaned. Leave on the burners for about 30 min, turn everything off and let it cool. EVERYTHING gets turned to a fine grey ash, and clean up is really easy. YMMV tho.

Shit are these expensive for a ceramic pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Big Green Egg is one of the best deals going. You can smoke or grill and it is extremely efficient. There is a small learning curve to it. But some of the best meals I've ever had have been cooked on one. I've had smoked meats, grilled fish, grilled veggies and meat, pizzas, potatoes, and I'm sure I am forgetting something. All turned out wonderful.

Eddie </div></div>

The BGE is a great cooker. Retains heat and moisture very well for slow cooking and smoking. Yep they are expensive. Like fine rifles, optic and accessories...buy quality and keep em for ever, buy something inexpensive of lesser quality and replace it after a few years of service. I buy the best quality I can afford, or save for better quality. It does make a difference.

I would not recommend any Kamado to a dillitante for the simple reason one can crack them in short order with too much charcoal making them useless junk, although expensive useless junk.
    Master the barbeque and charcoal and you will surely be taken as master to many a grasshopper. Master electricity and gas and you are just another guy in the backyard just getting by with mock flavor
    grin.gif

I will sum it up. There are some thing in this world that are better off not changing and cooking meat is one of them. It won't get any better than using the goos old tried and true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis Muldrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BGE is a great cooker. Retains heat and moisture very well for slow cooking and smoking. Yep they are expensive. Like fine rifles, optic and accessories...buy quality and keep em for ever, buy something inexpensive of lesser quality and replace it after a few years of service. I buy the best quality I can afford, or save for better quality. It does make a difference.</div></div>

Yeah, what he said!

the key with the searing burner YOUR UNDIVIDED ATTENTION. if you are not all eyes on,you will ruin shit extremely fast. i dont care for using on the steaks. sear some tuna,etc. what you should have thou is a rotissere.you WILL become famous for your chicken,pork,prime rib,etc.. take a look at LYNX brand if you want top shelf one time purchase

BGE = Kamado, or if you will, the Japanese version of a barbeque. My Pop bought one way back before you could get them here in a lot of places at a high falootin asian shop in the city. That clay burned more meat than we could shake a stick at, but when we figured it out, man it was on. I was workin three part times, doin the NG thing tryin to support Panty 6 and No1 Son. Sunday's were Pop's house for grilled meat and all the trimmins with lots to take home(two to three days of meals).
    I earned my chops on that Kamado, as well as one of those lump char burnin 4 x 8 grills. The old Brinkmann probably cooked more hot chow than some members have on the planet in years. BUT, there are many who have me as grasshopper when it comes to smokin meat or grillin stuff. The things I have learned in HAwaii, Nor-Cal, Indiana have made me even more wicked with it when it comes to fire and meat, maaaan I am teh cat's ass when it comes to food.

<------ man don't listen to this jive ass southern transplant he just been hittin up the bourbon bottle again
    grin.gif

Switchblade,
    Thanks for all of the info I am going to get a small competition smoker / grill reverse flow made from 3/16 steel with this one you can smoke slow and low then if you like add coal to the deflector plate for some high heat searing or anything else its a 2 in one grill but there also like fine rifles . $1600.00.

have my eyes on a once used one .

Thanks will let you know hope it comes out
    Bill

Mesquite, hickory or oak. No contraption will ever replace good ol natural wood.

I am agreeing with you thhis new grill you have the 20" firebox under the ceneter of the grill and its reverse flow for smoking . then if you want to use high heat you can use the deflector for the smoker as the pan for water and chips or for charcoal.

its going to be a sweet grill can use wood or lump charcoal or a mix if you like

Bill

The real game in town is cooking over wood.

I use either my wood fired oven or a Santa Maria grill. The real secret to out standing steaks besides meat selection is the preparation.

Here is the secret:

I just use kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper to season after coating in olive oil and let sit.

Never cook cold meat. Pre heat your steaks @ 200 f for 20 min before you start grilling them.
    I use a smoker and like to use any thing from apple wood to hickory for 20 min. If you don't have a smoker heating in oven for 20 min works too.

then using a hot grill or wood fired oven cook the steaks to slightly less than desired firmness (doneness)

From there you must wrap the steaks in foil and let rest for 15 to 20 min.

Using this method your steaks will be perfectly cooked rare to med rare with no gray at all in the meat. Personally I like a slight char on out side and a good uniform pink through out the meat.
    steaks-1.jpg

I forgot to mention My steaks of choice are Aged Prime Ribeyes cut at least 3 fingers thick. I have a local butcher shop that ages awesome Iowa beef. A good lower cost second choice for Prime Ribeyes is Costco.

Oh man, it's a tough choice between a 1.5" NY cut or a Rib Eye the same thickness. The common thing for either is let them come to room temperature after a day of drying on a rack, then add some red alea, cracked black pepper, and apply some serious fire. Sear the outside with high flame just past 'blue'.
    Before beginning I like to mix 25% sweet butter with 75% bleu cheese. Roll it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it in a round cylinder. As the steak finishes for the last two minutes, slice a few rounds of the cheese and butter mix onto the steak and cover with foil. Remove the foil, and plate the steak.
    As RJW stated in the other thread, a bit of butter crunch lettuce, belu cheese dressing, and a nice old vine Zin and man that IS dinner!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Costco works great for me

</div></div>

I hear you Costco Prime Ribeye is about $13lb cheaper than my butcher.

CostCo & Charcoal! It's like Peanut Butter & Jelly!
    You Can't Beat They With An Egg Beater!!!

Depending on the mood and time I have all the bases covered. Each one has it's likes and dislikes but I can honestly say I love the all. We do alot of entertaining and this stuff gets used year around her in the warm climate of South Texas.

For the most part, our outdoor kitchen featuring Lynx Professional equipment gets used the most. Their Prosear feature using infared cooks steaks like a champ, It's a very high heat source. It is always ready to go, doesnt take much time and does a great job.

ahhhribeyes.jpg

For a casual supper with more time involved I use one of my fire rings with mesquite to grill some beef.

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

If longer cooking times are needed for roast, brisket and such I'll use my self built smoker fired with oak,pecan or mesquite.

IMG_1426.jpg

For dried ring sausage, jerky or snack sausage I have a smoke house for that, it can hold 100's of pounds of meat. Fired with pecan, mesquite or oak.

9-29-08SausageSmoking.jpg

Oct1stsausage.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TEC and paid 1200 for it. YOU WILL FUCK FOOD UP for the first few times. The grill is only good for steaks. I have used mine for about 6 years. I have had it for 10 years. I now use charcoal exclusive. If you want my TEC I will give it to you just come and get it.

Problems with Infra red grills are burners and grates. Make sure you buy a good one that will warranty for 10 years.

Rich</div></div>

If you want to get rid of the TEC send me a pm as I have been looking for one.

Bill

Well bought a reverse flow smoker grill wood or charcoal . just got it home and the biggest problem is getting it to the back of the house 1 story down in a walk out basement, damn thing weighs approx 400. pounds!!!

Will post pics later

My mother in law gave me an old starch mixing vat from a laundry.

It is all stainless steel except for the heavy brass hinges on the lid. The sides are 2 in thick, insulated. Insulated top with a 3 in plug in a hole in the center. Air comes in through a 1 in pipe connection at the bottom. I have a small cast iron tray that I put the charcoal and wood in at the bottom. Two racks that will hold 2 turkeys, or equiv.
    A handful of charcoal, dry wood on top of that, tilt the plug in the top to regulate the burn, and in a few hours, you have some of the tenderest smoked meat you will ever experience.

I also have a charcoal grill made from an old Toledo commercial dishwasher.

Waste not, etc....
    I just finished a great med rare NY strip about 1 1/2 in thick with trimmings, and all this is making me hungry all over again.....

Smoking is the wqay to go , cannot wait to smoke the crap out of a bunch of stuff.

Hey send some of that sausage this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoking,and grilling with charcoal is the way to go.. I have a weber one touch grill and a $39 dollar charbroil smoker that does pretty well. in the near future though I would like to purchase a better smoker, just have to do some looking..

cheddarb
    Take your time it surprised me when the smokers got into the 2-3K range in cost.
    Well worth it as I bought one but more than I expected
    Bill

Wait until WINTER! They all go down in price. You can find $600 - $800 smokers for under $400.
    I am talking about nice professional grade(read that thick 16G steel, well over 200#) Landmann's and Brinkmann's for half price or so. Of course if you have $1,000 - $4,000 burning a hole in your pocket and absolutely need that big ass smoker that you will find you don't really need later on, but desire the backyard status, have at it. Me, I got other things to spend hard earned dinar on
    grin.gif

I have to admit. I just bought a $300 grill this year and have already found my next. I had the pleasure of cooking on the "Big Green Egg" last night, damn I'm hooked. The large one is pricey around $1200 I was told, but that thing is more consistent than my oven. You can sear a steak on that thing at 500 degrees, cool it down to 350 and bake a cake for desert, then jump her right back to 500 and do more steak for the late arrivers, and the heat is steady and lasts a long time with their natural lump charcoal. I had the "Egg" going as well as a Walmart Brinkman, the Brinkman had me running my butt off, the "Egg" was like a set it and forget it deal. I'll have one one of these days when my porch is done
    wink.gif

I have heard these are great but a cake??? the BBQ / grilling hobby can be as or more expensive than shooting!!!

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may have to try an EGG!!!!!</div></div>

You will not be sorry you did.

Smoking chickens on the new grill now pretty happy with it to ??
    Egg will have to wait for now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cheddarb
    Take your time it surprised me when the smokers got into the 2-3K range in cost.
    Bill </div></div>

I know,I had no idea that smokers could demand such a price.. oh well like someone said wait till winter to catch the sales, Atleast in FL I can use them all year long!!

Man You got me there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have just one gun do ya? </div></div>

I bought a used one and yes its big yesterday smoked 6 4 pound chickens in 4 hours but this thing can handle approx 12 chickens max. best part is I got mine for 1/2 of the original cost so not a bad investment grate size is 20" x 36" and have a plan for a small pig next month , going to make 30# of brisket for the daughters party in a few weeks. I agree buy a used one there a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddarB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cheddarb
    Bill </div></div>

I know,I had no idea that smokers could demand such a price.. oh well like someone said wait till winter to catch the sales, Atleast in FL I can use them all year long!! </div></div>

there is a lot to learn like using wood do not let the fire "choke " it causes creosote and bad taste. also temp regulation is another learning curve but now there are temp control devices that can maintain the temp at say 225 by using a blower in the fire box connected to a controller .
    www.BBQguru.com

or search bbq guru