• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grizzly- Bartlein barrels

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Yesterday I called Grizzly to order a 6.5 Bartlein barrel (#3 contour, 26") and the lady said there was an oversize fee + shipping. That was $36 to ship from Penn-Va. I then called Bartlein and they said shipping was $17. I have ordered numerous barrels from Bugholes and shipping is around $20. There is no reason why Grizzly should charge that outrageous shipping fee. My guess is they figured out how to squeeze more $ out of someone.

Life is about choices....Either wait a year for the barrel you want...or pay a little more to get it next week. Every business needs to make margin to stay in business. They spent a hefty sum purchasing that inventory and then having to store it, and handle it several times. I was very pleased that bugholes had the exact barrel i wanted for the group buy at long rifles. Could I have saved a few dollars if ordered one from the maker instead? Yes but i wanted it quickly and now i am a happy customer getting ready to send a barrel and action to Chad for discount!

I live in pa about 8 hours from them and had to pay the same, with tax shipping cost me 48$ it was here in two days but still, I emailed them and they said its because ups charges them a over sized fee, total bs I put the package size and weight in last night when I got it and used both our addresses and shipping was 14$ ground...but I needed it for the group buy build so I tock the hit,
but I will say this the barrel is very nice
good luck with your choice,

dave

what the hell is oversized about a barrel? They ever shipped a rifle? That is laughable at best!
They need to stop trying to take advantage of people on shipping charges.

We live in a Capitalist society. They are in the business of making money. As a customer I payed it to. Did I like it? Of course not, but I payed it because the extra shipping cost was worth it over waiting X amount of months or a year. If you don't want to pay it, then don't. If you paid it, you accepted it so quit whining. If you're going to cry, what's the baby going to do?

I also have to agree that if you don't like it don't buy it. That is the same with everything you buy. Convenience has a price. A bottle of wine that cost $70.00 in the store cost 2 to 3 times that much in a fine restaurant. Why?? Handling fees. The more a Human touches something that's getting paid to do so, the more it cost. They, like all big accounts with UPS get a discount on all they ship. You don't get the discount passed on to you, and in there case, they add to it. UPS charges $15.00 to ship a barrel regular ground out of our family business. We get a discount due to the volume of merchandise we ship. That's how I know.

I agree paying a little more is sometimes worth it if you are in a hurry, I also realize that margins aren't always as much as people think. That being said, just adjust the base price instead of trying to pass it off as shipping. Treating your customers well goes a long way in this market.

After reading through this thread, I went and dug up my receipt for my Grizzly supplied Bartlein. Shipping was $23.95 on a 31" 1.350" taper to 1" barrel (heavy). Funny thing is I never asked nor cared about the shipping cost. Grizzly had something in stock that I needed and I didn't have to wait 6 months to get it. Only had to wait a few days. When building a custom or purchasing premium products, people tend to spend more money on them. Why start penny pinching the shipping. Really, If one is that worried about a few extra dollars, building a weapon with premium products probably isn't the best route. Especially if you want those products in a timely manner.

That reminds me of the special handling fee that comes on certain items you order from midway usa. One year ago there was no such thing.

This has nothing to do with a barrel but just last week I returned some incorrect cutting tool inserts to Grizzly.

I had to pay for a return shipping label and shipping for the correct inserts. Cost was $34 for shipping! Now this is something that weighs a few ounces and is in a plastic box that is 2"x3"x1/4" thick. If I was to use a small bubble wrap envelope myself to ship the cost would be under $2.
I understand the cost of doing business but it seems that some of these companies are raping us with shipping cost.

I will and have happily paid that extra price to have a bartlein barrel in less than a week. They are worth it. But, it is still kinda bullshit.

Sure, they can charge whatever they want. Buy it, or not...
But it's B.S. to "hide" the extra OVH&P they're trying to make in "shipping charges".

Be up front about it, and put whatever money you "need" to charge in the price of the product. Shipping costs should reflect only the costs to package and ship.

I don't care who you are, it doesn't cost $36 including OVH & P to package and ship a barrel. Normal business markup (including order processing) should be in the price of the barrel.

They expect you'll already have "bought it", and by the time you get to the shipping cost you've probably already entered all the order info, including your CC and are ready to hit the "submit" button- so they figure they got ya.

Last edited:
Suck it up or call Bartlein and get in line. The additional shipping accounts for a small tube that weights more than normal. Best choice is to quit griping to get a barrel with NO wait time.

A small tube that weights more then normal? What is normal in your book because most barrels range from 8-10 pounds. That is pretty normal weight for UPS and FedEx. They must really hate us all when we ship 24 pounds of rifle back and forth.

I'd gladly pay $36 for shipping if I was in the market for a Bartlein barrel. $36 or wait 9 months?? No brainer for me.

I'll gladly pay (and have paid) the total out-the-door cost that Grizzly charges. It's worth it to have a high-quality barrel in about two days. And it's not like Grizzly tries to play "hide the weenie" with this surcharge, as it's very clearly displayed on the product page.

But having also been on the other end of shipping a barrel, I know that there is no "oversize" charge. From what I recall, the last barrel that I shipped went from Michigan to Texas for something like $10 via USPS Priority.

My preference would be for an upward adjustment of the product's base price, but I really don't see a big problem here.

This has nothing to do with a barrel but just last week I returned some incorrect cutting tool inserts to Grizzly.

I had to pay for a return shipping label and shipping for the correct inserts. Cost was $34 for shipping! Now this is something that weighs a few ounces and is in a plastic box that is 2"x3"x1/4" thick. If I was to use a small bubble wrap envelope myself to ship the cost would be under $2.
I understand the cost of doing business but it seems that some of these companies are raping us with shipping cost.

Now that is absolute BS. I would have fought that.
But i gladly paid extra to get my bartlein barrel in just a few days verses several months.

I can drive to the store and have one in about 30 minutes... :)

I agree with most here. It would be more palatable if they would just adjust the base price to account for their investment in stock, storage, etc. instead of recovering it through an "oversize" charge that doesn't make sense.

Sure, they can charge whatever they want. Buy it, or not...
But it's B.S. to "hide" the extra OVH&P they're trying to make in "shipping charges".

Be up front about it, and put whatever money you "need" to charge in the price of the product. Shipping costs should reflect only the costs to package and ship.

I don't care who you are, it doesn't cost $36 including OVH & P to package and ship a barrel. Normal business markup (including order processing) should be in the price of the barrel.

They expect you'll already have "bought it", and by the time you get to the shipping cost you've probably already entered all the order info, including your CC and are ready to hit the "submit" button- so they figure they got ya.

On their web page they plainly say there is a oversize shipping charge

also, when I ship items if a package is larger by dimensions but doesn't weigh enough ups will charge extra. It doesn't seem to make sense in this case because the barrel should be heavy enough for the package size, but maybe they (grizzly) also get a fee like that.

Last edited:
Few (correct-thinking) people mind businesses making a profit.

No one likes being lied to.

Bone up and pay the money for the shipping. Calling grizzley liars in an open forum is completely unprofessional. If I were them I'd fire u as a customer for slandering them here.

Night eagle

It could be that they are recouping the shipping charges they paid to acquire the items they stock. A company like that may not be able to absorb the cost depending on their margins.

Or they could have a crap contract with the shippers.

thing is, we really dont have any real info on what is causing those barrels to ship at the price they are shipping. ups/fed ex changes their rates and their add on rates every week. maybe grizzley is using seperate insurance and they have to pack to certain specs to cause the oversize charge. maybe they are shipping in a round tube which causes the price to go up, maybe the moon and the stars have to align to get their pricing down...point is, i have 3 businesses, and if one of my customers ever called me a liar in my store or infront of other customers, i would throw his ass on the curb and have the police write up a no tresspassing document on him with out a second thought.

night eagle

thing is, we really dont have any real info on what is causing those barrels to ship at the price they are shipping. ups/fed ex changes their rates and their add on rates every week. maybe grizzley is using seperate insurance and they have to pack to certain specs to cause the oversize charge. maybe they are shipping in a round tube which causes the price to go up, maybe the moon and the stars have to align to get their pricing down...point is, i have 3 businesses, and if one of my customers ever called me a liar in my store or infront of other customers, i would throw his ass on the curb and have the police write up a no tresspassing document on him with out a second thought.

night eagle

+1
The most annoying thing I find is when I am at a gun show and some douche bag says to the seller " I can find this cheaper at ...." I really want to tell that fat slob to go buy it there then and leave the seller alone! He is trying to make a living not cater to your wallet and want to save a dollar. If you don't like their prices then don't buy them and save the inventory for those of us that find paying $30 more for shipping a better deal than waiting a year

I would equate this to GM charging for floor mats on a new truck. I will also bet they get a decent shipping rate to get the product in hand. That said I have bought barrels from them when I had to. I find I am buying more from Bugholes recently. YMMV

R

Simple solution here... don't buy from them if you don't like the shipping rates. Isn't free will grand?

they probably get them in a bulk wood crate. someone there needs to box each one and send it out. if you are not happy with the shipping/handling price, get your product else. what, no one else has what you want in stock? i guess you need to make a potentially life changing decision right about now: pay the shipping/handling fees or save $15 and wait 6-8 months...sometimes decisions in life are difficult...

...actually, there is a third option: start a thread on al gore's internet about it.

they probably get them in a bulk wood crate. someone there needs to box each one and send it out.

I don't think so.

Recently I was considering purchasing two barrels on one order from them. I saw they wanted to hit me for two "oversize fees", one for each barrel. I called to inquire, and see if they'd waive the fee, being that both barrels could fit in one "oversize" box.

The reply I got was that "The supplier boxes each barrel up, and Grizzly doesn't package or repackage them, so we'll actually ship you two boxes with one barrel each".

So, I got the impression Grizzly actually pawns off the boxing/packaging work on Bartlein.

Which reminds me: The "destination charge" you pay when you buy a new car.

Turbo, that's exactly what crossed before I got to it in your post. Destination charge, aka, another way to charge the consumer extra. It's a business practice used in every consumer industry today. You either pay it, or take your business elsewhere.

I don't think so.

Recently I was considering purchasing two barrels on one order from them. I saw they wanted to hit me for two "oversize fees", one for each barrel. I called to inquire, and see if they'd waive the fee, being that both barrels could fit in one "oversize" box.

The reply I got was that "The supplier boxes each barrel up, and Grizzly doesn't package or repackage them, so we'll actually ship you two boxes with one barrel each".

So, I got the impression Grizzly actually pawns off the boxing/packaging work on Bartlein.

Which reminds me: The "destination charge" you pay when you buy a new car.

When I've ordered, the barrel came in a cardboard tube with a little packing material around the barrel, but not enough room to put a second barrel in the same tube. Total shipping weight was 8 lbs, and no oversize or other unusual UPS fees. Their total cost to ship is probably not far above $10, depending on their UPS contract.

just for reference, I looked at my somewhere in the south shop that stocks bartlein and brux, etc.. invoice today. shipping $15. Credit card fee $10 for one barrel. Shipping $15 AGAIN and $11 fee for card for second barrel. Both barrels shipping to the same place. Maybe it was overlooked that there was combined shipping but oh well, I got the barrels shipped the next day after the order was placed.

Yesterday I called Grizzly to order a 6.5 Bartlein barrel (#3 contour, 26") and the lady said there was an oversize fee + shipping. That was $36 to ship from Penn-Va. I then called Bartlein and they said shipping was $17. I have ordered numerous barrels from Bugholes and shipping is around $20. There is no reason why Grizzly should charge that outrageous shipping fee. My guess is they figured out how to squeeze more $ out of someone.

They charged me $14 for the oversize fee last year, Mo. to Wis.

You guys are bitching about 14-16 dollars? Hahahahahaha come to Canada were you wait 8 months for a barrel. Stop your whining and cry once buy once.