• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Grizzly Defcon 1 clamp-on muzzle brake

sawman556

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2012
Bucks County, PA USA
Has any one used on of these? I want to put something on my .308 Stiller Tac 30/Krieger barreled action and really don't want to have to have this barrel threaded. Basically I'm just using this rifle a lot this summer and don't want the down time. I also am worried that it might screw-up the accuracy if the barrel and action are taken apart. I have this thing shooting sub .5moa with factory 168gr. Federal FGMM's. The problem is since I have my left hand on my rear bag and I ride my thumb and barely use any grip with my trigger hand. So the damn rifle jumps off target every time it's fired. I don't mind the recoil but I want to keep this thing on target. So has anyone used one of these?

With my next barrel, I plan to have it threaded for a APA Little Bastard.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

13363044664811846311882.jpeg

http://shop.grizzlygunworks.com/product.sc?productId=69&categoryId=1

Re: Grizzly Defcon 1 clamp-on muzzle brake

I've never used one myself, but I have seen too many clamp on brakes go "downrange" to trust them. This one might be different, but to even consider a clamp on type, I would have the end turned down to a straight, no taper for it to clamp on. With any kind of taper, if the brake moves just a little bit, there's nothing holding it and it's coming off. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your help. Grizzly says they never come off even on a .50BMG. </div></div>

Try it and give us a report.

I might but I'm getting tired of waiting three day to get questions answered in an email and the phone number isn't working for me. Is there some special number I got to press to get a phone call to Canada?

I might just order the Little Bastard and find someone that can turn it around quick. Anyone know a fast gunsmith that I can trust?

Fuck it. I just ordered the Little Bastard and will send it to Karl Kampfeld for the work.

You won't regret any work Karl does for you. He killed It when he fluted two barrels I sent him a couple of months ago. I was VERY impressed and had them back before I even knew he had received them.

thats just like a brake darkmetal custom sells for 80.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats just like a brake darkmetal custom sells for 80.00</div></div>

+1.

My Darkmetal brake is rock solid with 500 rounds of 6.5CM under it. It has not shifted one degree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats just like a brake darkmetal custom sells for 80.00</div></div>

+1.

My Darkmetal brake is rock solid with 500 rounds of 6.5CM under it. It has not shifted one degree. </div></div>

Is it clamp on or threaded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This one might be different, but to even consider a clamp on type, I would have the end turned down to a straight, no taper for it to clamp on. </div></div>

Since they ask for both the muzzle diameter and the dimension 1" back from the muzzle they are no doubt tapering the mounting surface so the unit clamps tight. I seriously doubt that the small amount of taper on most barrels near the muzzle will cause much, if any, grip loss. For those that might be unsure, I'd just add a drop or two of loctite stud sealer. I seriously doubtt that the muzzle gets hot enough on most rifles to loosen the grip of that stuff. This might also help if you're trying to move a resonance node forward in the barrel. Similar to a barrel tuner.

Dark metal is threaded 5/8x24, after you time it, you tighten two Allen bolts to lock it in place. I can snap a pic later if you want to see it. I was using Ross' brakes (Hide member with outstanding service and a great product/value) but I keep buggering the crap out of the stainless fins, so I tried the clamp on to ease timing and my propensity to damage brakes during torquing. It works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck it. I just ordered the Little Bastard and will send it to Karl Kampfeld for the work. </div></div>

Good Call!!

If you are order this from Jeff at Grizzly gunworks in Canada, beware. When dealing with customers in america, he will steal you money. I ordered a muzzle break from him over 2 months ago, and he has never sent my product, and wont return any of my calls, or emails. Soif you dont want to get scammed, do not deal with Grizzlygunworks....Trust me, go will a legit american gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigchris_tex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are order this from Jeff at Grizzly gunworks in Canada, beware. When dealing with customers in america, he will steal you money. I ordered a muzzle break from him over 2 months ago, and he has never sent my product, and wont return any of my calls, or emails. Soif you dont want to get scammed, do not deal with Grizzlygunworks....Trust me, go will a legit american gunsmith.</div></div>
Everytime someone registers and makes their first post a negative one, I pretty much disregard. I dunno that might just be me.

These are made in Canada and look like an exact copy of the brake that "Pete Lincoln" of Roedale Precision makes. Even though I'm a Canadian and think that Grizzly makes great products, I'd go with the Roedale as they originated the design and Pete has contributed much to these forums.

Yeah, I'm in Australia and I'm having the same problem. Ordered over a month ago, money was taken but nothing supplied. No answer to emails.

Just checked my emails and I have if fact had a response. Apparently my order will be despatched this week. Just wait and see I guess.

Nice, id like to hear how it turns out. I swear theres not a gunsmith within 200 miles of me that is setup to thread a barrel.

I just ordered a Defcon 1 Thread On Muzzle Brake on Nov 21,2012
I chose Grizzly Gunworks because I read a thread on other forum about Roedale Muzzlebrake taking forever to get the lack of responses to peoples emails/phone calls, and the fact it time getting it from over seas.
Personally I think the Defcon1 brake looks better IMO.
383_0.JPG

vs.
1335181559065-476548269.jpeg

I hope to get it soon. I cant wait to test it out.

i wonder if anyone has thought of calling their credit card company when something like this happens?

i have seen countless people say this or that company has yet to give them a product they ordered X amount of time ago. there are ways to get your money back no matter what country they are from as long as you didn't pay cash or money order.

if you payed cash or money order then you are generally screwed if they are out of the country.

if you paid by check and they cashed the check you can call the bank and tell the bank you have yet to receive a product that you order from the company that cashed the check. they will call the company on your behalf and if they can not get ahold of them then they will accept the claim and put the claim through to their bank and request the money back

if you paid by credit or debit card the process works the same. any good bank will make sure you get your money back (i have USAA and have paid for more than a few items off of AMAZON that i never received and USAA got every dime back every time).

if you paid by Paypal or Bill Me Later (run by Paypal) then you can send a claim through Paypal.

i just never understand why people wait so long to try and get their money back if the company is not shipping your item, has not responded to emails, not responding to phone calls, or even worse they respond and act like a d-bag as if their shit doesn't stink and they are the king of the world (the kinds of people that should have been aborted at birth).

hope everyone in this type of situation gets it taken care of. i also hope that companies that operate like this eventually go bankrupt.

I emailed Jeff at Grizzly the day after my order.
I received an email yesterday that my brake will ship on Friday!

Its funny, when Ebay first came out I was so lery of paying over the net/ paypal, and now its nothing for me to buy something on eBay, and sent the payment immediately.
I just recently bought a KelTec KSG on Gunbroker and had the same feeling about it like my first eBay purchase.
I still have faith in people. Not all people are creeps. To this day, I have yet to have an electronic purchase go bad......knock on wood!
I agree Mike0341. I wouldnt wait to long to follow up.

These are made in Canada and look like an exact copy of the brake that "Pete Lincoln" of Roedale Precision makes. Even though I'm a Canadian and think that Grizzly makes great products, I'd go with the Roedale as they originated the design and Pete has contributed much to these forums.
I have got in touch with Roedale in Germany, their problem is they don't make muzzle brake for barrels that are less than 20mm in diameter, mine is 14.90mm, so my next best choice was Grizzly, hope I have not made the wrong choice.

Try Witt Machine & Tool.

You measure your barrel and they custom machine it to fit. I have one and it works pretty well.

Try Witt Machine & Tool.

You measure your barrel and they custom machine it to fit. I have one and it works pretty well.
Thank you Bandit320 for your quick reply.
I did consider Witt Machine but then I read many negative reviews that knocked them down ranging from not delivering the muzzle to not responding to queries. It sure is a delima.