• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Group Build Thoughts, 2022 SH Rifle build from Spartan Precision

We carried a separate meat frame, it just for that …

And also I was a bit in context of hunter series but also just thought meat frame for that part
I do have a few aluminum meat pack frames, they would take some finagling to attach a bag.

Mine are a backcountry hunting backpack so the frame and bag are a system. It takes less than a minute to attach/detach the bag.

KUIU uses a load sling and with the bag detached a moose/caribou quarter can be hauled. Dall sheep are small enough to debone the meat and still have the bag on.

When you come back for class’s i need to swing over, I can show you the bags if your interested in seeing them. Or have Marc bring you by Barney’s Sports Chalet in Anchorage.

Reactions: Lowlight
He has stuff in the shop too, we used his stuff, the frame he has there, and his meat bags - though I don’t know his brands

He has all that stuff as well, remember he wrote the two books on hunting in AK so it’s an easy borrow

Reactions: rope
I just want to ride up, the kayak was fun, but give me a bigger boat or let’s see Mr Rope and take the side by side View attachment 7833000
45643CFF-E6CB-4B61-92A9-F686FACB2339.jpeg
1CE7A036-79EA-4EF5-A350-7B77B5C1E899.jpeg
E5D04EE4-5235-46C5-AB29-E5268B671017.jpeg

Let me know if you want to do some fishing out of Valdez.
208EE59B-E9D8-4F25-9A3A-61EBA25B7EF9.jpeg
B4A7D185-552D-4F3E-9D74-4497BF681056.jpeg
C8F68271-4A8F-4B50-91DC-C3D3BA0F325F.jpeg

Picked this up for Upper Susitna.
A36BC88D-2A78-4A15-A3C1-DEB23D5E7730.jpeg

If it must be a SA, then a 25 cal in Creed or PRC or SST. Otherwise, SA Mag on a Med action in a WSM cartridge. Custom action accepting prefits. Carbon barrel (at least as option). MDT would be cool to offer an option for the HNT or a full chassis. Jewell or TT or Bix. And option an optic - LHT 4.5-22 or a G3. Depending on config, you have a real lightweight or a fat sled. If the whole package could save us 1K or so over building ourselves, I would probably grab one.

He has stuff in the shop too, we used his stuff, the frame he has there, and his meat bags - though I don’t know his brands

He has all that stuff as well, remember he wrote the two books on hunting in AK so it’s an easy borrow
I don’t know how I forgot that, I have both books.

Reactions: Lowlight
What barrel profile are we thinking? Is it possible for a carbon fiber wrap barrel for those using this as a hunting rifle vs NRL hunting comp gun? If it’s a steel option only I prefer a 300 or 7 WSM option, I have a few sheep rifles so I don’t need that niche filled.

I am excited about this build…going to work some OT today.

7saum, Archimedes, Triggertech special flat, bartlein light palma or Bull sporter at 22inchs. -or k&p equivalent. Or upcharge for a mod bb bartlein. M5 bottom metal with accurate mag 7rnd wsm magazine in a grayboe phoenix. Or do we need an even heavier contour?

If you want the best Alpine packs. http://www.mchalepacks.com/index.htm

I have some pictures floating around from one month on Everest and the following month at Steel Safari. They're more of a custom pack so just design it around the mission.

They work equally as well packing a sheep or atop Everest.

• Wow
Reactions: DJL2
The problem we all acknowledge with the hunting world is, they use old school thinking and don’t practice. And you can’t really shoot because the barrels are tiny. We can get a better barrel today that can shave weight and handle 10 round strings vs 3 rounds
Frank - July 16th's 'Hunting rifles in Alaska' podcast brought me here ...

What is the lightest contour barrel that you think works for this application?

And twist rate / velocity aside, do you consider the Tikka T3X standard barrels as too thin for 10 round strings?

Reactions: Carlos0311B4
Frank - July 16th's 'Hunting rifles in Alaska' podcast brought me here ...

What is the lightest contour barrel that you think works for this application?

And twist rate / velocity aside, do you consider the Tikka T3X standard barrels as too thin for 10 round strings?
I think a light Palma or bull sporter, both .75” at the muzzle should be able to do it. I’ve been thinking of a similar upgrade to my Tikka lite. Thinking of a taper-less .75”.

LL, if a better selection of ammo were available 6.8 Western. But since it’s not 6.5 PRC.

It’s been said but $4k is a little steep $2.5-3 might be more palatable for most.

You’re spot on in the weight. 11-12lbs is more than manageable hiking around, if you’re in half way decent shape. My hunting rifle last year was 14lbs complete. Two of my buddies have 16-17lb rifles. We all hike in a few miles 3-5 day hunts in AZ. 13lb or less is fine.

As far as packs I’m a Kifaru guy. If you’re packing game out Kifaru is the way for me. I would say hunting packs and hunting match packs are not the same. I don’t do many matches but the ones I have done I carry everything in a 3day pack. Hunting I use a Kifaru Timberline 2 (5000ci)