• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

group size vs magnification

jmgstr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2018
this problem I have run across makes no sense to me the setup is a cooper 54 Excalibur in 6.5cm nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 new rifle for me.i have been struggling with this rifle trying to get decent groups tried 5 different types of factory ammo getting consistent 1.25 inch groups with most of them not as good as I expected so as I was working with it the other day while I was giving the barrell cooling time I got out my 7lb 300 win mag it has a vx62-12 & shot sub 1/2 in group with factory rem 180 cl it got me thinking so the next groups I shot with the 6.5 I took the magnification down from 22x to 12x & just like that went to 1/2-3/4 in groups with all the 6.5 ammo I have no idea whatsoever what could cause this maybe somebody here can enlighten me as to the cause

Mirage is possible if you’re shooting off the ground.

Otherwise, probably something in your fundamentals you are doing different that’s triggered by having the magnification turned up. Maybe your perceived wobble (which shouldn’t be much) at max magnification is causing you to tense up or other things.

Really hard to guess from across the inet, but it could have something to do with parallax adjustment. Parallax is almost always more finicky at higher power, with possibly some exceptions. If your parallax was not adjusted our at the high power and your fundamentals are not perfect, it could easily affect group size.

Just a guess.

+1 regarding the parallax. I had the same issue realized I wasn't quite parallax free on my 4.5-30x as I was still working fundamentals. Didn't happen on my 1-6x which is parallax free at 100.

60 dg day cloudy off a bench so I think I can eliminate the mirage possibility . I adjusted out the parallax as best as I can see at 22x maybe it wasn't completely out

What type of target were you shooting at? It could be that that target circle is too large and your cant consistently center the reticle on it .

By adjusting the magnification, seems you improved your ability to lock onto a point on the target.

What type of target were you shooting at? It could be that that target circle is too large and your cant consistently center the reticle on it .

By adjusting the magnification, seems you improved your ability to lock onto a point on the target.
It’s called quartering. Learn how to do it.

Not necessarily directed at you, but it’s a concept lost on some people.

By the way, this is magmafication...

f4dab4c6-62a2-4c4f-acd0-5886ccca6f92.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head and lash
More than likely it's mental.

I'd I had to guess, you're jerking the trigger a bit when on the higher power because the reticle has a little more float and you try to time it to hit.

Try different targets. I like the accurate shooter diamonds as easily seen and centered with just about any reticle.

Only time I shoot round dots is with a couple sightron Target dot reticle as it's easier to center a circle in a circle.

On 22x I can 1/4 the center black diamond on 12x i just 1/4 the orange 1inch dot

Attachments

• C8B1C529-CAA3-438F-954B-1DA413C23F55.jpeg
    C8B1C529-CAA3-438F-954B-1DA413C23F55.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 43
I always shoot bad groups on max magnification. I prefer no more than 16X. It's mental I don't like watching the reticle moving within the target.

How far are you shooting your groups from?

When you get older the retical stops moving as much.

Some day I figure it will stop completely. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: lash
I always shoot bad groups on max magnification. I prefer no more than 16X. It's mental I don't like watching the reticle moving within the target.

im the exact opposite, especially over the past few years

the more mag the better (off bench/prone), unsupported is another story

i think it makes me focus more on aiming point more/ aim small miss small

I shoot 100 yard groups better at 6 or 8x then I do high magnification, but everyone’s different

It's a possibility of three things.

1. Mirage - mirage does funny things. Shoot off a bench or make sure your barrel/can is cool.

2. Parallax - can be more finicky. Make sure it's perfect, maybe play with it while concentrating on fundamentals.

3. Mental - seeing your reticle dance can cause apprehension or anxiety, and not concentrate on fundamentals. In the archery world its called target panic. It's where you essentially in the end rush the shot. You see your reticle cross your mark as it dances and you rush the shot.

Printing groups at 100 yards can mess with your mind... I always feel like I’m steering the rifle better on longer shots.

It's a possibility of three things.

1. Mirage - mirage does funny things. Shoot off a bench or make sure your barrel/can is cool.

2. Parallax - can be more finicky. Make sure it's perfect, maybe play with it while concentrating on fundamentals.

3. Mental - seeing your reticle dance can cause apprehension or anxiety, and not concentrate on fundamentals. In the archery world its called target panic. It's where you essentially in the end rush the shot. You see your reticle cross your mark as it dances and you rush the shot.

I agree with this as well and I would put them in the reverse order for what is likely happening.

Mental - I find my self un-intentionally muscling the gun more on higher magnification because I can see the 1/8" I am off from perfect. This causes breathing to change as well. On several of Frank's podcasts he has talked about this same thing happening with a lot of shooter, Less magnification results in better groups, less is more.

Parallax - To add to this I think head position is more important on higher magnification. Maybe this is more of a fundamental thing then parallax. Slight head movement can change the impact even if parallax is totally out. At lower magnifications the head position is more forgiving.

My 2cents.