• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grouping issues when shooting suppressed.

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Hey boys!

I’m shooting a 6.5X47 Lapua with 140gn Berger VLD’s. The rifle easily shoots 1/4 moa with a hand load of 39gn H4350 and CCI 450 primers.

The problem I have is when I add a suppressor. Of course there is a POI shift, but my groups consistently open up to close to 1 moa with the can. The suppressor is a Tigershark, direct thread. I had similar issues when shooting lapua 123gn Scenars.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a suppressor, and if there is anything at all that can be done to resolve.

Thanks so much for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Attachments

• 1A311C6E-3A82-48E6-B97A-6CBBDD52974E.jpeg
      1A311C6E-3A82-48E6-B97A-6CBBDD52974E.jpeg
      230.6 KB · Views: 32
    • 8BDF9948-E96F-453D-B7DC-D031B080FD83.jpeg
      8BDF9948-E96F-453D-B7DC-D031B080FD83.jpeg
      188.3 KB · Views: 38
    Have you tried tuning the load to shoot well with the can on it?
    That was something I am wondering about.
    Has there been others who had a different accuracy node between suppressed and loud?....

I plan to experiment with MV to see if it makes a difference.

My 6BR didn’t care if it was suppressed or not. But now that I own my ultra 9 and just got a new rifle, I’m going to do load dev on both barrels/cals strictly with the can on as I will be shooting 100% suppressed. As mentioned you will probably have to rework your load with the can on it. Best of luck man!

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    Is this the first time shooting with the can or have you shot enough to become comfortable shooting with the can on it? The recoil impulse is completely changed from running a brake and takes a bit of getting use to in my experience. I thought I had a grouping problem and ran some test loads but ended up right back at my original load. I will likely rerun those test loads on another day to make sure though.

Is this the first time shooting with the can or have you shot enough to become comfortable shooting with the can on it? The recoil impulse is completely changed from running a brake and takes a bit of getting use to in my experience. I thought I had a grouping problem and ran some test loads but ended up right back at my original load. I will likely rerun those test loads on another day to make sure though.

I’ve shot the rifle suppressed for over a year. Shot suppressed bolt guns (.308, .338, 6.8, .408) for over 10 years. So far, this rifle has been the only rifle that exhibits less accuracy with a suppressor. BUT, you have a point. I may try and let another shooter try the rifle and see if there are similar results. 🤞🏽

I’ve shot the rifle suppressed for over a year. Shot suppressed bolt guns (.308, .338, 6.8, .408) for over 10 years. So far, this rifle has been the only rifle that exhibits less accuracy with a suppressor. BUT, you have a point. I may try and let another shooter try the rifle and see if there are similar results. 🤞🏽
    With your experience you may want to move right to load development and see if the groups can be improved. Making an assumption that you haven't already been down that road. It could just be a bad match between the suppressor and the gun. May want to try the suppressor on a different gun and see if you have similar results to your original gun.

All of my rifles shoot as well or better suppressed, but almost all of my cans are TBAC. Do you have a friend with another suppressor you could try? I’ve never heard of a Tigershark suppressor.