• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Grouping problem 338LM

redbang

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
New Zealand
Hi folks, got me a problem and am hoping someone can come up with a fix.
Brand new Savage 110 FCP in 338 LM, Sightron 8-32x56 shooting off a bipod and rear bag at 110yds. 285gr Hornady projectiles,H1000 working between 90-93grs, Norma brass.
Problem:- One shot jumps out of a group of 3 shots( by about 1-1 1/2") and sometimes its 2 shots jump out of a 5 shot group, the others shots are touching or pretty close.
I've checked all scope mounts, rail mounts, action screws and the free float is well clear. The powder loads are all exact, and round is concentric to within .001-.003.
Any and all comments welcome, cheers, Red.

Re: Grouping problem 338LM

it maybe has to do with the way you load the bipod each time.
If you do not load he same each time you may get flyers.
it is all about consistancy.
Just my 2 cents.

I mean no offense whatsoever, but it sounds like it could be shooter induced.

I recommend you hit the range with a friend, dry fire PERFECTLY 5 times per time you actually load the chamber, and have a friend do the loading, while you close your eyes and honestly don't try to determine whether/not he put a dummy in the chamber.

I think this will tighten things right up.

Yep, I think you are right, shooter induced inconsistencies seems the most probable cause. I'll have to be more careful as I shoot, and keep the cheek and shoulder weld properly, instead of taking my arm away to write speeds down ! !

It is much harder to shoot nice groups when you're chronoing... Paying attention to velocities, lifting your head, shifting your focus to other things, not shooting your chrono, etc etc etc.

My partner was having a hard time getting the groups out of his rifle we know it's capable of. The technique I explained above had him single-holing at 200 yards right away.

Sounds like something is rubbing or not tight. Take the gun apart, check the action and see how it's rubbing. Torque the action screws to 65, loctite the scope base screws, shit like that.

I agree with the others as well, shooter inconsistency. is the bench wood? I find wood benches and bipeds don't mix, jumps around. Make sure your sight picture is the same every time.

I have the same rifle and had to get it bedded because it was doing exactly that... My gunsmith said its the last savage he hopes he has to do because it was a bitch to do compared to remi actions. It now shoots better!

Could very well be shooter, but i had a 110ba in 338lm with the same problem running 300 Bergers. Never grouped better than 1.5MOA with hornady brass, lapua brass, h1000, us869, or retumbo. I was a fairly new shower at the time so i just chalked it off to me. Interestingly, it drove tacks at 500+ though.

Has this rifle produced better groups in the past with the same load and such?? Or is this ur buddies load that shot well in his rifle.. it could b the rifle. If a rifle that large is notbeddig u can induce flyers. Have u tried 250 grain bullets?? Messing with seating depth.. sounds like ur rifle doesnt like where that bullets jump to the lands.. did u do load development?? Many questions still to be awnsered before we just chalk it up to thr "shooter" in my opinion

bodyworks- my 338 lapua has loads that group awesome with 300 grain bergers to 300.. then are junk.. I have a load I found that shoots 1.4 moa at 200.. but at 500-800-1200 is groups better than 1/2 moa.. sometimes those bergers work way better at distance.. its weird

With my 338lm, i discovered that I was overloading the bipod. It doesn't take much, just touch it to shoulder and light press. My cheekweld wasnt consistent either, 338lm takes getting used to! Dead weight on the stock with cheek, as if you're about to take a nap. Worked for me. I ended up ditching the muzzle brake it came with and replaced it with a Ross Schuler brake and it made a big difference. Ports on the original brake are too big.

Werew, does Ross make a magnum brake or is it the same as the older 3 port brake with 3 holes on top? I've been wanting to change my 110 Fcp stock brake.... It's not very effective. I don't know why they just didn't keep them like the BA model!

I have this rifle, and I am using those projectiles. I have found pet loads for over 20 rifles successfully, but have never spent more time and effort finding a pet load than with my Savage 110fcp-hs. I read of troubles that others had before I purchased the rifle, and tightened all screws on the gun & optic before shooting. Despite this, the optic rail shot loose within 50 rounds. I used a semi-break in procedure, cleaning immaculately every 10 rounds for the first 100 rounds during load testing. At the first cleaning, the nylon brush made a sound similar to a zipper as I pushed it down the bore. Rough bore. For the next 200 rounds, groups were as you described, two touching and a flier. 5 shot groups were much the same, with two touching and three strung or sprayed randomly at 1.5 to 2 MOA.
At about 250 rounds, I finally started getting the .5 MOA accuracy. Presently, I am enjoying .5-1 MOA accuracy using 285gr hpbt, 93gr Retumbo seated at 3.625". I concede that my lack of experience shooting larger magnums, as well as seating depth issues, played a part in the length of time it took to find accuracy, but I also believe that this rifle had THE roughest bore I ever owned.

Ishallbie pretty much has it right. I started with the 285's also. Ran 3 rounds over a chrono, should be good, off to the range to test. Do all my testing at 1000 yards, 36" round disc. Shot 1, center about 3" low. Shot 2, no hit, no idea where it went, wasn't expecting a miss. Shot 3, center about 4" left of shot 1. Shot 4, at least 2 MOA low in the dirt. Shot 5, 9 o'clock on the edge. Man it started so well, but could not recover, my mind says, not me, not the load, but I do know the barrel is extremely rough. Had about 15 loaded and all performed about the same. Decided the 285's couldn't make the 26" trip and stay together. Switched to the 300gr Scenars, just excellent, no wild shots, good groups, just wasn't the bullet I wanted to use. Ishallbie is correct, barrel gets pretty good at just over 200 rounds. Going back to the 285's when I get rid of the 300's, still want to use them. If your running a stock barrel, don't get to excited at the start, it takes some time.