• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report groups opening up

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
On my 700 VLS 308 shooting 175 SMK on top of 44gr of Varget I can get about a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. After about 15-20 rounds my groups open up to about 1 to 1.5 inches. Is this common/normal?

Re: groups opening up

your group closes back down to 1/2 Moa after you clean it right? A dirty bore is causing your group to open up.

On the VLS I bought about 8-9 years ago the barrel was not free floating. It could be that as your barrel heats up stress is being caused by your stock. ALSO, could just be because you are shooting a Hammer Forged barrel and there is a lot of stress in the steel, as your barrel heats up it changes things (?).

Suggestion. You developed your load to be accurate out of a clean bore. Maybe if you tweaked it, it might come in when the bore is fouled, instead. I never test my load's accuracy until I have at least 10-15rd down the bore, I use the first 10-15 as sighter/foulers, then start with ten of the same load for accuracy. I don't shoot groups. I have targets I print with 1/2" yellow dots and a heavy black border. One shot each for the shots, then on to the next set of dots and ten more load of the next increment. Tested two loads that way at 100yd today, taking a SWAg with a new bullet, the second set was good enough to say, hey were're there. Maybe not the best load, but clearly good enough, load testing completed in 25 shots. These are not good times to be engaged in extended load testing.

Typically, a fouled bore shoots a tad faster than a clean one. Try .2gr above and below your 44.0gr load.

Greg

20 rnds and groups open up from fouled bore. Hmmm.. I have over 500 down my bore and seem to keep on forgeting to clean it. I just shoot my smiley target the other day with a group under .25" In fact I usually shoot under .5 moa. Wierd...

I have seen more damged bores from cleaning rods and chemical errosion than fouling.
I used to clean all the time. I hardly ever waste my time with it anymore.

I would say a good bedding job would help with his groups opening up.

H.S. stock and bedded, Rifle Basix trigger, and trued bolt. Around 500 rounds down the barrel. I had a load for 175 SMKs and also worked on a load for 165 hornadys. Now I had some time so I thought I would re-fine the 175 SMK load a little. I guess I should leave well enough alone.

Question on cleaning.
After I go shoot, for example 20-50 rounds, I come home and clean the barrel. It might be the next day I go shoot again or a couple a weeks. How long is it before you guys clean your gun? By the way this is a factory barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Question on cleaning.
After I go shoot, for example 20-50 rounds, I come home and clean the barrel. It might be the next day I go shoot again or a couple a weeks. How long is it before you guys clean your gun? By the way this is a factory barrel. </div></div>

With my TRG 22 when new I only cleaned it running a few patches before 1'st outing, no shoot a round/clean breakin. This week it went from a 1/2- minute rifle to a 1.5+. My log read 438 rounds prior to going to hell. I cleaned it and it was copper fouled badly. Took it to the range and it dropped right back to 1/2" so for me the magic cleaning # will be @ 400 rounds. So the answer is whenever your known accuracy goes to hell.

Clean, don't clean, it's up to you.

My newest guns are at least 5 years old. I clean upon returning home, a very basic, simple technique involving Outer's foam and patching, followed up by a light coat of gun oil.

My guns seldom get dirty enough for accuracy to degrade due to fouling, but that's got very litte to do with why I clean. I have a fair number of them, and some may go a year or two between firings, while others may get fired several times a week.

I clean to eliminate fouling that sits, for an indefinite time, absorbing atmospheric moisture and slowly etching pits into the bore. With a borescope, you can tell my guns get shot, and that the fouling gets removed, but you probably can't tell how old they are, because pitting is usually limited to what occured before I acquired the firearm.

if you're not going to clean a firearm, and you're not certain it'll get fired again in the next two weeks or so, at least put down a coat of oil to serve as an oxygen/moisture barrier, preventing the kind of bimetallic/electrolytic corrosion that causes pitting.

My .22LR's are a completely different story. I seldom clean them. The bullet lube can often cover a multitude of sins, with uncleanliness being one of the most obvious.

Greg

Dont clean it and redev the load. TXMD gets cross with me for it, but I dont clean my weapon until Ive got 15x what youre talking about down her tube.

Are you shooting those 20 one right after another? A really hot factory barrel might be part of the problem.

I agree completely with Shaggy.

A load should be tested by firing it in the same manner as its intended use.

If it's intended as a match load for slow fire, 20 rounds in 20 minutes, starting with a fouled bore left over from the sighters and 10 rounds offhand, that's the way you should test it. If it's intended for rapid fire, ten rounds in 60 seconds out of a more thoroughly fouled bore, then test it that way. Things as intuitive as making sure the fouling is accomplished using the same bullet and propellant are advisable.

Greg

Thanks guys,

That was my other thought, a hot barrel. I try to shoot and let the barrel cool between shots but it probably ends up being something like one round every 30 seconds. Maybe I should take it slower.

I'd really like to get a custom barrel on it too. I think that's the only thing left to do, as far as making it the best I can.

A hot barrel down't only affect your accuracy, it also affects your bore life. Slow down for the long haul.