• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GS who will prep a barrel for a Krauger barrel

craigos

craigos from Scout 2015
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    PNW
    My regular GS (plural) said they cant do me a barrel for a Kauger action. Anyone had one done ?

1667617832317.png

Did they give a reason why? The print looks straight forward. Is there anything unusual about the action, like it requires a proprietary wrench for example?

Mentioned his machine isnt programmed for it, but thats ok anyone recommend? Need a 22GT barrel spun up for it.

• Haha
    Reactions: Tperry
    I'm instinctively leery of any craftsman using "my machine isn't programmed for it" as a reason something can't be done. Can't be done quickly or cheaply? Sure. Not work they want to take on with their backlog? Fine. A flat "no" because they can't run it on a machine? Doesn't sit right with me.

I've had good luck with Southern Precision Rifles. I sent them a take off barrel from a rifle, so they could measure just to be sure (versus going off published spec). After measuring (probably twice) and cutting (just once), I had a barrel that performed exactly as intended for a reasonable cost and a quick-ish turn.

Reactions: powdahound76
    Kauger is in Georgia and is popular around Georgia in PRS. Multiple local gunsmiths in Georgia have barreled Kauger actions for PRS and hunting. Hammer Rifles for one. I am sure Kauger can provide a list of gunsmiths who build off their actions.

Larry Archer of Archer Custom Rifles.
    He does a lot of work with the Kauger actions and will spin up a prefit for you. He was recommended to me by Tim Kauger...
    Cell:
    Larry Archer
    1-478-455-4519
    Have you used Larry archer to do any work for you or known anyone who has used him? He is close to me over in Georgia. I need to know how legitimate he is. Looks like he is just a one man business.

He's been building rifles for a long time. Some of the best builders are one man shops.

And yes, he's done work for me with total satisfaction. It was a Proof comp contour that I had him remove most of the heavy tenon section and finish at 22".
    He threaded and chambered the barrel without the action in hand. Note that the barrel markings line up...

20220217_110542.jpg

Next barrel will be a 30 BR.

Michael DeLoach/Nine Run Gun.
    He has already done a custom rig on a Kauger action-Does superb work!
    Michael Deloach at Nine Run Gun just did a great rebarrel for me when my 6XC barrel died - great to work with!