• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guardian Long Range Competition - Virginia - 2014

Additional info as to format...

There are 42 registered shooters, and of course a substantial waiting list for this match. We will have three squads of 14 shooters working at the same time, going through the stages.

There will be "friendly" competition between squads. The top scoring squad (total score for the entire squad of 14) will net each shooter in that squad a decal or window static specific to that class, and that win. We'll have an image of that item up as soon as design is finished.

The squads will be set up to include--as close as possible--equal talent pools. Veteran competitors as well as newcomers will be placed into each squad. Experience and rifle cartridge being used will be considered as we structure the squads.

This format of squad competition should encourage the better shooters to help less experienced shooters in their own squads to do better, by offering advice and ideas to help them perform better. The new shooters will get the benefit of guidance from veteran long range competitors in their squad--which is something we do want to encourage in the Guardian genre.

Dan

Sept 6 Guardian Long Range Competition - REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!

Release the Krakken!
Public registration is now open for the September 6 Guardian Long Range Competition!

It will be a sprint to fill the 42-man roster for this coveted competition. The April 26th event saw record-breaking registration that filled in less than a month! With Hawk Hill Custom rifles donating a custom rifle package, slots will be filling fast. We are also in the process of updating our site with many new and returning sponsors that will make this event second-to-none. Don’t hesitate, or you will regret missing out on this long range competition.

September 6 2014
BangSteel - Wytheville VA
$150 Donation (100% Tax-deductible)

Register Today!

Remember, 100% of your fee is a tax-deductible donation! That's because it's going towards helping orphans find Forever Families through Bethany Christian Services.

Last edited:
The Guardian Match banner has arrived... :)

Shooters in the Guardian Matches will be signing this banner as participants in the event. The banner will be used in more upcoming Guardian matches (including the September 6th, 2014 match at the BangSteel.com range).

This banner will be a cumulative log for Guardian shooters to review for many, many matches to come, and will become a key part of the legacy of these events.

Trijicon scopes are here! :)

trijiconscopes_zpse47e863c.jpg

The Bettin custom 338 is done! Some amazingly fortunate individual will win this amazingly awesome rifle! Getting closer to the 26th. :)

The Nightforce scope which is mounted in the photo will be offered to the winner of the rifle for a very good price, by the way.

Last edited:
Is the waiting list ridiculously long on this match? Had something free up and could possibly make it. If there's a bazillion people waiting ahead of me the ill sit this one out.

Is the waiting list ridiculously long on this match? Had something free up and could possibly make it. If there's a bazillion people waiting ahead of me the ill sit this one out.

April list is very long. Over 30. Sept list only has 10 on the wait list. Many haven't paid and may drop over the next 6 months. Register for that. What's the worst that can happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April list is very long. Over 30. Sept list only has 10 on the wait list. Many haven't paid and may drop over the next 6 months. Register for that. What's the worst that can happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Sean,

The July team match still has a couple (or three) slots... I've had a cancellation, so there may be 4 slots. If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll get you registered. You can find the email addresses at BangSteel.com

Dan

See you guys tomorrow! I'll be at the Subway in the morning - a big guy with a "US Training Center" shirt on and a military style haircut. If you're a S/H guy, introduce yourself!

Just finished helping out with the setup, and it's looking like a challenging course of fire.
Look forward to seeing everyone in the morning! Thanks, James

The match was awesome, and many thanks to all who helped R/O and spot. Team Havoc did an outstanding job managing a couple of stages, and thanks to silent bushmaster for the targets for two of the stages--they worked great. :)

Many photos will follow, with more updates and match rankings to be included.

Dan

Had a blast today!
This match proved to be one of the most relaxed and enjoyable I have shot. Everyone seemed to have a good time and a great day of shooting.
I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Had a great day today, little sunburned but that's okay. Everything went smoothly. I'm looking forward to some pictures and the final standings.

Great match and supporting a good cause too. Thanks to Garry, Dan, Team Havoc and sponsors. It was good just to be a part of this.

BTW, congrats to Jim, er Melissa :D (ya had to be there) on winning the 338LM.

Great match! The weather couldn't have been nicer, the targets challenging, good cause, and the match staff was great. It felt great to come out with the top shot and the Trijicon scope. Thanks again to all the sponsors and I look fwd to another match down there.

Congrats to the tops shooters, you all did very well! Congrats also to team Samson for being an awesome group of people and also for taking top squad (like there were any doubts!).

I had a great time and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to shoot. Awesome job to everyone who put on and helped run the match, your hard work is very much appreciated and I'm glad to see it was for a really good cause. Also a big thanks to the generous sponsors who put all the stuff on the table/raffle.

Looking forward to the pics and final standings!

Great match, great charity, awesome venue, and a great group of shooters!! You really couldn't ask for a better day spent shooting. It was a pleasure meeting many of you and Team David were an awesome squad to hang out with all day! Many thanks to all the sponsors for their generous donations in prizes and Todd Bettin for the outstanding rifle! I'm usually more of a shutterbug, but I knew Gary was running around like a mad man snapping photos, so I only took a few, enjoy.

Just spoke with Gary Larson... he will post the score sheet later this evening. Pics will also follow. I have a few pics I'll post as well. As you review the score sheet, the stages are not ordered as you may have shot them, as depending on which team you were on, you shot different stages first. Stages were scored by the same crews in the same manner, to ensure all shooters were scored properly at each stage.

Team Samson, lead by Lynn Houck did take the "Rifle Team Alpha" rank, and I do want to credit Lynn (Black X) for taking the initiative to lead and position the members of his team to most positively effect total overall score. We did this to encourage the veteran long range shooters in the squads to help the newcomers in their particular groups. From what I was able to see from the station I r/o'd and spotted, Lynn did a wonderful job of staying engaged with his team members, and it paid off with a win for team Samson.

More to come...

Dan

Just spoke with Gary Larson... he will post the score sheet later this evening. Pics will also follow. I have a few pics I'll post as well. As you review the score sheet, the stages are not ordered as you may have shot them, as depending on which team you were on, you shot different stages first. Stages were scored by the same crews in the same manner, to ensure all shooters were scored properly at each stage.

Team Samson, lead by Lynn Houck did take the "Rifle Team Alpha" rank, and I do want to credit Lynn (Black X) for taking the initiative to lead and position the members of his team to most positively effect total overall score. We did this to encourage the veteran long range shooters in the squads to help the newcomers in their particular groups. From what I was able to see from the station I r/o'd and spotted, Lynn did a wonderful job of staying engaged with his team members, and it paid off with a win for team Samson.

More to come...

Dan

Dan

Congrats on what looks to have been another great match at Bangsteel! I registered quickly for the fall match as I hated to miss this one.

Black X is always a great competitor to have at a match that is always willing to help/coach

Semper Fi

Gary asked me to post this up as he is in the office today and blocked behind a corporate firewall. If there are any errors they are likely attributed to a transcription error on my part generating the BBC code, sorry.

TeamPlaceShooterStateCaliberScore
Samson1Knotts, JMD.308Win19
Moses2Walters, RVA.243Win20
David3Bettin, TIA7mm Dakota20
David 4Gervais, MVA6.5 Creedmoor25
Samson5Nolty, COH7mm Creedmoor25
Samson6Ward, TPA6.5 Creedmoor26
Moses7Knizner, BVA.260 Rem26
Samson8Houk, LKY.243 WIn27
David9McCloskey, TNC.260 Rem28
Moses10Walpole, MVA6 Creedmoor30
David11Kennedy, CVA6.5 Creedmoor30
David12Martin, TVA6.5 Creedoor31
Moses13Mullins, BVA.260Rem31
Moses14Martin, MVA.260 Rem31
Samson15Saunders, JTN.260 Rem32
Samson16Radolec, MMD6.5 Creedmoor34
David17Whitehead, SVA6.5 Creedmoor34
Samson18Daughtridge, MNC7mm WSM35
Moses19Stover, SOH6.5x47 Lapua35
David20Harrision, CVA6.5 Creedmoor36
Moses21Ellis, PVA6.5 Creedmoor36
Samson22Stanley, DNC.260Rem36
Moses23Gimmellie, TVA.300 Win Mag37
Samson24Lester, JVA7mm WSM38
Samson25Thompson, MVA.308Win38
Moses26Burkholder, SVA6.5x47 Lapua40
Samson27Breeden, BOH.300 Win Mag40
Samson28Quesenberry, BVA6.5 Creedmoor41
Moses29Hammons, TMD6.5 Creedmoor41
Moses30Wimmer, BVA.284 Win Mag42
David31Gilliand, JGA6XC42
David32Bowman, LVA.308Win45
Samson33Martin, JVA7mm Rem Mag46
Moses34Bradley, AMT.300Win Mag50
David35Harden, TGA.260 Rem51
David36Fisher, MVA.308Win51
David37Gilliand, MGA6.5 Creedmoor52
Moses38Bradley, DMT6.5 Grendel62
David39Diana, MNY.308 Win78

All ties were broken by the lowest shooter score on the longest stage.

Cool... though my beloved .308 did top the list, the 6's and 6.5's are still obviously the rifles to beat. Great job, all... some of you got some really bad wind breaks, but you made the best of the situation.

My favorite part of the day was watching the 1000 yard three-shooter race unfold, seeing those heat traces going downrange all at once, each shooter trying to connect with the 1003 yard plate before the other 2 did... lots of fun, super intense. :)

Dan

Great Time for all those involved! For a great cause as well. I think everybody had a great time in some seriously switching wind, Including that extremely handsome man that took nearly 20 points for simply taking away the negotiating power with one shot in a Hostage situation. :eek:

Big thanks to team havoc for pointers Given to tyler. He finished 12th and kicked his dad's butt.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Wanted to thank all the shooters that supported this event to support Bethany Christian Services!
Parker and Team Havoc were legit at keeping the peace. We all know that if you don't have solid ROs and spotters, a competition will go crap quick. Thanks to them there was no questions on the scoring, and they even spotted the Lynn Houck .243 hit at 1,003.

Parker and Team Havoc were legit at keeping the peace. We all know that if you don't have solid ROs and spotters, a competition will go crap quick. Thanks to them there was no questions on the scoring, and they even spotted the Lynn Houck .243 hit at 1,003.

Good glass is pretty key to spotting... we've not found anything better than Vortex HD stuff... the new Kaibab 20x56 binocs I've been using have been absolutely phenomenal... Parker uses a Vortex Razor spotter and we had (courtesy of Vortex and Atlas Tactical) other Vortex HD spotting scopes on the line. If ya can't see it ya can't spot it. :D

I had a great time, looking forward to shooting @ BangSteel again soon! I need the trigger time so I can shoot better next time. Great people and an awesome place to shoot!

Hey all, just wanted to thank everyone from Snipers Hide personally for all the support. According to Gary, you guys are the ones that recommended me to Gary as a possible sponsor when he was planning this event. I had no idea what to expect and had never competed before. When all the guys (and gals) started showing up with their sponsored team shirts and high quality gear, it was pretty intimidating. What surprised and impressed me the most though, was how open and willing to share equipment, knowledge and advice everyone was. No one looked down on anyone else due to their equipment, experience or performance. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience for me and my whole family, and we all came away feeling that we just made a bunch of new friends.

Thanks again for your support
Todd Bettin- Bettin Custom Guns

Todd,

It was great meeting you and your family, and congratulations on shooting a great match, and finishing so well. Hope you guys are having a great vacation. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Dan

An awesome shoot for a good cause! Alot of great shooters and all where willing to help each other. It was good to see how much improvement some shooters have made since they started in the sport. It was a priveledge to RO for all you guys. You all made my job easy. It is hard to find people with integrity and you all get an A+ in this category! Congratulations to all of you! Looking forward to seeing you guys at Bangsteel in the future.

Barry