• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Guidance on The Path... (scope selection assistance)

Bounty

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2020
DFW
  • What is the platform for the scope? Ruger American Hunter rifle. Magpul stock. 20" heavy barrel. When I say heavy I mean heavy...measures .850 at the crown
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target shooting. Benchrest. No ELD shooting. Might see an occasional hunt in a pinch. Interested in exploring PRS.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, lowlight, occasional nightime with an illuminated target area
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? About the effective range of the cartridge...100 to 800 yards. Most of the action this gun will see is 350 yards and in due to range limitations.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? MOA, FFP, 30mm or 34mm tube, 50mm or 56mm objective, something between a basic duplex reticle and a Primary Arms christmas tree with ranging, Einstein's calculations on physics and everything else etched on the glass. I really like the SCR reticle from Steiner if that gives you a good idea. Illum is a "nice-to-have" and not a "need-to-have." Same with a Zero Stop.
  • What is the price range you can afford? $850 and below

Gentleman, I appreciate you taking the time to review the thread and offer assistance. This scope will sit atop a relatively inexpensive rifle as my foray into long range shooting. With a previous military and law enforcement background I am very familiar...and own...handguns and AR-pattern rifles. I have had the itch to get into long range shooting and eventually extremely long range shooting. But as with anything else, this rig is for gaining experience and proficiency. Once I can out-shoot this rifle/scope, I can feel confident dropping the coin to follow an upgrade path that works for me.

That being said, I have done some research on the scopes in this range. Given my desired feature set, is there a scope better than the Steiner P4Xi at $850? Or for a bit less, is the new Vortex Strike Eagle a better option? Significant magnification upgrade but is it comparative glass quality/optical clarity?

As a final note, I do realize there is the occasional scope in the PX that dips into that range. If I had all day to spend refreshing the page I'd give it a serious shot but from what I have seen so far, the deals to be had in this range are few and far between based on my preferences. Feel free to ask any questions.

The Steiner P4Xi would be a great option. I have heard from some people I know that the Vortex Strike Eagle glass leaves to be desired and there are better scopes for the money. 2 other great options would be the Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44, which has grown into one of my favorite personal scopes for the money spent and the Meopta Optika 6. You can get a 3-18, or the 4.5-27, which I very recently purchased myself.
Each of the 3 scopes that I think you should consider fill a bit of a different niche. The Bushnell would function as likely the best crossover scope for hunting, but still hold its own as a target gun. The Steiner would be similar, with a little less magnification and less going on in the reticle. I've heard they are nice scopes to look through though. The Meopta Optika 6 would give you the largest magnification range. The reticle also allows it to function as a crossover with the MRAD 1 reticle. If you get the 5-30 version, it would have a 34mm tube and more of a tactical reticle.
All of these can be had for less than your budget if you talk to @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland and he can probably give you a bit of guidance as well. All of these are Milradian based rather than MOA, but most people here would likely recommend that for your purposes anyway. If MOA was really what you wanted to go with, you could pick up an MOA Athlon scope from Doug as well, either the Midas Tac or the Ares BTR Gen 2.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Pretty much what he said. Vortex gen 2 pst 3-15 would also be a good fit. I wouldn't get a strike eagle. Scope is the most delicate, weakest link in the system. Not the place to save money if you have the money to spend.

I have a Remington 700 LTR which has a heavy 20" barrel. I ran Leupold 6.5-20 (2nd focal plane, MOA) for many years but have been moving to Mil F1 scopes on my other rifles. Recently installed the Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 as mentioned earlier and like it. Previously I ran a Nightforce SHV F1 on that gun which I also recommend but a little more expensive. Moved the Nightforce to a new Tikka.

Checkout cameraland sport optics clearance sales. They had an open box Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44 for like $720. That would be real hard to beat. They have great deals on scopes!

Reactions: JakeM and Alabusa
Also, for that price range I would recommend looking in the optics PX for a used Burris XTR II 3-15. They have a good track record.

I don't think the PX4i was made in MOA.
It isn't. The LRTSi, P4xi and meopta are all going to be mill based. If he wanted MOA he would have to get something like the athlon. Although my .02 cents would be to get a mil scope.

I think an underrated scope is the Weaver Tactical, either one up to 14x or 20x. I've have both and their great budget scopes.

The O.P states he wants MOA. I agree go mils. It will open up more options. Although MOA is cheaper to get used in the PX.

Gentlemen, thank you! Tons of info and assistance. Especially @koshkin and @zaprosper with the quick and detailed responses. After refining my research and traveling to a local DFW gun show this past weekend to get hands-on with a few of the suggested models I believe I have narrowed my focus and made the switch from MOA to Mil. That being said, is the Steiner still the one to beat of the models listed below?

Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 - $850
Burris XTR II 4-20x50 - $950
Athlon BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 - $850
Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 - $899
Bushnell Elite DMR II 3.5-21x50 - $899
Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5-18x44 - $999
Meopta Optika6 5-30x50 - $950
Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 - $1100

Pricing above is the listed price on the usual forum vendors (Cameraland, Liberty, etc)so I realize there could be substantive savings from what's shown but none should be too far off my $850 initial budget.

Gentlemen, thank you! Tons of info and assistance. Especially @koshkin and @zaprosper with the quick and detailed responses. After refining my research and traveling to a local DFW gun show this past weekend to get hands-on with a few of the suggested models I believe I have narrowed my focus and made the switch from MOA to Mil. That being said, is the Steiner still the one to beat of the models listed below?

Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 - $850
Burris XTR II 4-20x50 - $950
Athlon BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 - $850
Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 - $899
Bushnell Elite DMR II 3.5-21x50 - $899
Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5-18x44 - $999
Meopta Optika6 5-30x50 - $950
Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 - $1100

Pricing above is the listed price on the usual forum vendors (Cameraland, Liberty, etc)so I realize there could be substantive savings from what's shown but none should be too far off my $850 initial budget.

For general precision and low light: Steiner 4-16x56

If you want to keep things a little smaller and lighter (better for hunting): PST Gen II 3-15x44 or LRTS

If you like a little more magnification and tree reticles: Meopta Optika6 5-30x56

You need to decide what is important for you.

ILya