• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun and gear storage on your truck

Tex_ponch

Ponch
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Baltimore MD
I coyote hunt so when I go out I may hit a stand for 15-45min, then load back up and go to the next spot. I would like to outfit my crew cab full size truck (with camper shell) with something that I can get gear in and out of QUIETLY, quickly, and in the dark (or near dark). What do I mean by gear: gun with suppressor and thermal scope (LONG), predator call (and remote), decoy, tripod, thermal scanner, head lamp, scale, batteries, gloves, hat....you get the idea.

I have looked at the decked systems but not sure they are fit the bill exactly. right now I have a scabbard hanging across my back seat and my back pack hanging on the back of my drivers seat, with my tripod, call, decoy, and tote full of clothes in the camper shell.

Has anyone built something similar to this for their truck? I have seem some ideas online but just curious if anyone had done it for a truck.'

Thanks in adv.

Roll backs or even pre built vaults are the way to go.
You can store shit on top of them or even use the flat area for sleeping if you decide to overnight it.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I used the decked system and like it a lot. One negative is they make some sound closing so you need to carefully close them if that’s an issue. I have their purpose built tool boxes that fit the drawers. One for tools, the other for hunting. The other drawer can hold rifles bipeds etc... no water intrusion issues and secure. 2 hours to install but can be removed in 20 minutes.

Keep it simple. Angle iron, caster wheels, and lumber. Just rolls out if you need the extra height in your box, which is pretty often if I buy a new welder, go camping, etc. I think alot of the drawer or commercial roller units require bolting into your bed...

Reactions: midwestoffroad
My buddy has something similar to a lumber rack on his truck and just bolted a pelican case to it, works pretty well.

I used the decked system and like it a lot. One negative is they make some sound closing so you need to carefully close them if that’s an issue. I have their purpose built tool boxes that fit the drawers. One for tools, the other for hunting. The other drawer can hold rifles bipeds etc... no water intrusion issues and secure. 2 hours to install but can be removed in 20 minutes.
Same here. Works perfect for the gear you described. Very secure too.

958B9BE5-715E-44CC-90A2-3CF46F7FB713.jpeg
FE6698FE-E157-48B9-A6F7-481A3AEB5C02.jpeg

I’ve had the decked system for approximately six months and I like it. I’ve had no problems with the weather getting into it, as I have a cover over it.

Packrat

I have had one in two trucks since 2004, still works as new. weatherproof and lockable. I am sure it will move to the next truck as well. Worth every penny. they can be found on FB Marketplace or Craigslist for less$$$

I run a tool/utility shell. I have one side that is one large door/shelf. I just toss stuff in there in $30 plastic plano cases because it's not getting beaten around. You could easily put some foam/wood together for a custom drop-in rifle holder.

It keeps the weather out as well as giving a locking storage with no weakness (glass). It's as quiet as it needs to be if you keep up on lubing the hinges/handles/moving parts (as is everything in life not made of plastic).

I have a camper shell with windoors on the sides...

I am waiting for Pelican the release their storage box

Reactions: lead.rain
Anyone who built their own have blueprints? Those all look sexy.

Displaced Texan, I don’t have a drawing or plan for the drawers I built. I measured the length and width of the bed and subtracted a couple inches from both to make sure I didn’t have clearance issues. I wanted the drawer deep enough to hold several rifles and didn’t want to have two drawers because I would loose about 4” of space.

I made a post on Expedition Portal (link below) with more details. That’s where I got some ideas for my design, look there in the Storage Systems and I’m sure you’ll find something that works for you.

Reactions: DisplacedTexan
Packrat

I have had one in two trucks since 2004, still works as new. weatherproof and lockable. I am sure it will move to the next truck as well. Worth every penny. they can be found on FB Marketplace or Craigslist for less$$$

I’m an oilfield brat so I’ll admit I have never bought one with my own money. But Pack Rats are amazing. Indestructible/life long investment version of most all the other options discussed. Is it necessary? Probably not. But you won’t ever wonder where the money went when you lay your hands on that sum’bitch.