• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gun Case?

The last I bought was a single gun SKB that's about 49" long and I think I bought it for just over $100.

The foam is one piece of convoluted in the lid with another piece of convoluted glued on top of a piece of white styrofoam in the base.

I'm getting rid of the foam in the base to replace it with Kaizen and do a custom cutout when my gun is ready for it.

The case itself has nice latches and an O-ring seal. No wheels but it's sturdy.

If your rifle will fit that, I don't see many reasons to spend more (wheels would be one) but I see many reasons not to spend less. Cheaper cases feel cheap by comparison. I wouldn't trust the latches, hardware or waterproofing of the cheaper cases I have seen.

Maybe some China cases are ok but it's taking a chance if you don't know exactly what you are going to get.

wants a gun case shaped like this
1580539315008.png
no one would guess it held a rifle . that and a way to mount it on the family car . :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: pewpew300WM
The last I bought was a single gun SKB that's about 49" long and I think I bought it for just over $100.

The foam is one piece of convoluted in the lid with another piece of convoluted glued on top of a piece of white styrofoam in the base.

I'm getting rid of the foam in the base to replace it with Kaizen and do a custom cutout when my gun is ready for it.

The case itself has nice latches and an O-ring seal. No wheels but it's sturdy.

If your rifle will fit that, I don't see many reasons to spend more (wheels would be one) but I see many reasons not to spend less. Cheaper cases feel cheap by comparison. I wouldn't trust the latches, hardware or waterproofing of the cheaper cases I have seen.

Maybe some China cases are ok but it's taking a chance if you don't know exactly what you are going to get.
I haven’t swapped the action yet but from the measurements I took it’ll be real close to 50” in the end with the brake.

My commuter car is a compact hatchback. I can fit about a 48" internal case across the rear seat (barely) and the 52" case I have is a pain because I have to fold down the rear seats and load it diagonally.

I haven't tried out the 49" case for fit yet but it is easy to run in to issues like that if you go too big.

Beside the length, the SKB is a pretty small case so I'm going to choose my barrel length to fit.

I've been getting folding stocks to fit my long barrel stuff in 40-44" soft cases which fit easily but I like a hard case too and the SKB is for a gun in a chassis that has no folding version.

Any way, a case is about storage or transport so make sure the transport aspect will work.

I just looked at the vault v800 and it had better reviews than the Im series. Some reviews on the Im said the foam was lower quality and did not provide support to a heavier weapon. I’d say my gun will weight in around 20lbs or so.

I use the Pelican Vault 800 to carry my match rifle (50 inch) for a couple of years and loved it. Only down side was the size. It doesn’t fit in my SUV without laying the seats down. Comes with the good foam and has wheels.

I ended up adding a folder and getting an Air Armor Tech case. I highly recommend them and believe they are worth the price. Rifle plus Air Armor Tech equaled the weight of the empty V800.

I’ll be the poor that suggests harbor freight Apache cases. Shockingly high quality, good wheels, water tight, and pluck foam makes setting up super easy. I can stand on the center of the case with minimal flex.

Pluck foam can be very very bad. You spend a bunch of time plucking your inlet but it never is a good fit unless your gun is a brick with only 90° angles, then the first time you use it, you are going to probably tear out a bunch of cubes making your inlet go from ugly to real ugly.

The stuff Pelican uses is somewhat tolerable but most of the "cubed foam" I've seen in less expensive cases is just garbage.

Kaizen is the DIY solution I like. Some places will do nice high density foam cutouts (not cheap).

Spending money on bad foam is not good.

Pluck foam can be very very bad. You spend a bunch of time plucking your inlet but it never is a good fit unless your gun is a brick with only 90° angles, then the first time you use it, you are going to probably tear out a bunch of cubes making your inlet go from ugly to real ugly.

The stuff Pelican uses is somewhat tolerable but most of the "cubed foam" I've seen in less expensive cases is just garbage.

Kaizen is the DIY solution I like. Some places will do nice high density foam cutouts (not cheap).

Spending money on bad foam is not good.
Been using mine for a year and have had the rifle in and out of the case no less than 50 times. Still in good shape and looks good. I’ll take a picture when I get back to the house