• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun cleaning foam

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I've heard in the past that guys have just used good ole fashioned shaving foam to clean out their service rifles. I've seen some gun cleaning foam on Midway, and it sure seems convenient not to have to go scrubbing in the bore or around the trigger group of my M4.

Anyone care to weigh in with their own experience with gun cleaning foam (and not just hearsay)?

Re: Gun cleaning foam

I use Wipe Out on my bolt guns. I've heard of other brands etching the barrels but Wipe Out is safe so I stick with that brand. It works amazingly well on getting the copper out and that is really all I use it for. I still use good ol Hoppes #9 for the carbon prior to the foam. I'm not sure if using it in the trigger group of your M4 is a good idea or not though. For that I use compressed air and Q-tips only. But as far a foam goes, Wipe out brand is really good stuff and saves a LOT of time scrubbing copper if you are anal about getting it out, like I am.

Geb

Shaving foam was one of the last cleaning chemicals (along with CLP, Laundry Detergent and in some cases oven cleaner) used prior to weapon inspection circa my time in the USMC (86-91).

Something in the shaving cream (alchohol perhaps) masked the carbon bleed out so that a q-tip would not turn gray when wiped across a gun surface. Its affects only lasted about an hour.

Was it proper cleaning practice? No, neither was the half inch drill with a bore brush attached. All this crap was response to assinine cleaning requirements. I would never treat my own guns the way that "make work" rifle cleaning caused.

I havent tried any of the foam cleaners but I'm sure they contain better chems for cleaning carbon/copper than shaving foam.

Wipeout is good stuff...been using it for years now. Only complaint I have is that it goes EVERYWHERE if you're not paying attention. Give it a try though.

I use Wipeout and it works so good I haven't tried anything else. It really makes getting the copper out of my .300 Weatherby easier.

I use Outer's Gunslick bore foam cleaner. It's so quick and easy, it's a no-brainer whether or not to clean the rifle.

Usually two soaks of a half hour each is enough to produce pretty clean patches. Totally clean is not necessary. I don't use a brush. If the rifle will be, or has been, put up for more than two weeks; the bore gets a thin coat of gun oil.

Borescoping has shown that this product is extremely effective, and has not revealed any signs of cleaning damage.

Lots of debate about if, when, how to clean. I leave that to others. It's quick and easy, and I do it. 'Nuff said.

Greg

I received an M1 from the CMP that I cleaned all kinds of snot out of using Hoppes #9 and Montana Xtreme Copper Killer. I then tried some Breakfree Bore Foam.

The BF foam got a bunch more fouling out even after a Hoppes patch said it was clean.

Wipe out with the accelerator and a tight patch is the best combination I have used. They should really sell the stuff in smaller containers. 2 cans and a bottle of accelerator will last a very long time.

If your interested in an alround good cleaning foam that also takes care of copperfouling, you should try Mil Foam. We have been using it for 6 years now, and it is a quick and easy cleaning method for everyday use.

http://www.milfoam.fi/

I use Wipeout foam overnight then Shooter's Choice.

good ole bore brush, hoppes and dewey rod, jag and patches and less than 5 min and be cleaner than these foams could ever do. About the same lines of a bore snake. good for okay cleaning but nothing like a good brushing

I use Mercury outboard engine tuner. It foams well. It cleans great. Learned that trick when I use to work for a custom gun shop. All I use is it and on ocassion some JB. Couldn't believe it till I tried it. It's also cheaper.

Wipeout on all my bolt guns and gass guns, just use compressed gass to clear gas tube.

I use outers foam bore cleaner on all the AK's FAL's HK'S AR's it works great especially with corrosive ammo, spray and go sit down for 1/2 hours, come back and wipe out the stuff and done.
for bolt action, I use slip 2000 for carbon and sweet7,62 for copper, bore is clean enough in no time.
hope this helps.