• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Coating

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    What is the best do it yourself gun coating? I want something that is not a bake on. I dont have anything to cook it in. So im looking for the spray on or wipe on. Let me hear what you think and a pic would help me see what it looks like.

Re: Gun Coating

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cerakote air cure. </div></div>
    Do i need a spray gun for then? I asume i do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cerakote air cure. </div></div>
    Do i need a spray gun for then? I asume i do. </div></div>

Yes and an air compressor and hoses.

At the very least you will need an airbrush.
    Making sure you prep it properly is extremely important with any coating.

Well i got a air brush and compressor but no spray gun. May just get me a spray gun then. What gun do you guys recomend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i got a air brush and compressor but no spray gun. May just get me a spray gun then. What gun do you guys recomend?</div></div>
    I used a 15dollar airbrush and mine turned out great. It's cerakote the bake on kind, but like mentioned above they do make the same stuff in air cure. Here's a link to where I posted it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=1862898

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i got a air brush and compressor but no spray gun. May just get me a spray gun then. What gun do you guys recomend? </div></div>

I use a Devilbiss, but you're talking about spending $250 for just the spray gun, and then you need to get a good filter system $50, and a good pressure regulator $60 and a compressor (which you have), just to do one project. Also, if you don't have experience with it you are more likely to coat it incorrectly than with an airbrush, like too thick. It would be cheaper to send it to someone and have it done for you.
    For DIY I'd recommend sticking to your air brush and saving the money.

I used Aluma-HydeII on my Stainless 40X. I didn't even have to bead-blast it and it's pretty tough. The only issue I had was the spray nozzle on the can started to clog up at one point and was spitting it out a little unevenly. It actually gave the barrel a slightly "textured" look which I kinda' like so I left it.