• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun safe space.

Why not just gun socks? I believe they come preteated to prevent rust. Sweatpants/cotton on guns may not be the best strategy from a rust prevention standpoint
I've bought6-8 socks at gun shows for $5-7, all very nice and they last forever.

In the market for a gun/fire safe.Was wondering how many non optic guns are equal to one with optics in regards to space?
Figure with optics or a sling you get 1/3 of the capacity it says . So you get 12 guns in a 36 gun safe . Bolts get in the way too. Otherwise figure half. I've got the Liberty Fat Boy 48. It's too crowded now with 16 in it .

I now have 3 safes, largest being 48" Browning. If I was to do it again I would have just bought a Pendleton and all my guns would fit into 1 safe.
Most of the arms have optics and they take up a lot of room. I would say 50% of what is advertised is correct on capacity.

These are what I use.
Titan and Titan XL double door.
Because of their design, you can put a safe where you want it and transport it too.
SnapSafe

Thanks for the input,it was very helpful. I am planning on more capacity than the guns I have now.I want extra space for documents and valuables.

Look carefully at the safe models and you'll notice that many of them have the same dimensions.

The one with the smaller capacity is closest to being the 2/1 lie.
If a 48" safe says 42 capacity and the next one (same size) says 64, the safe isn't different. The cutouts are just closer together.

Tall scope turrets cut space even more.

I think the rating must be for unscoped lever guns. That is the only way you could possibly fit rated numbers. Add optics and that number drops significantly.
Bolt actions change it too.

Look carefully at the safe models and you'll notice that many of them have the same dimensions.

The one with the smaller capacity is closest to being the 2/1 lie.
If a 48" safe says 42 capacity and the next one (same size) says 64, the safe isn't different. The cutouts are just closer together.

Tall scope turrets cut space even more.

I think the rating must be for unscoped lever guns. That is the only way you could possibly fit rated numbers. Add optics and that number drops significantly.
Bolt actions change it too.
I'm thinking more like 1960's era .22 rifles.... with open Daisy BB gun sights.

Or you can get 50 handguns in a 24-gun safe if you remove all of the shelves. LOL

My safe also came with the ridiculous "rifle cut-outs" that are spaced so as to only allow the placement of broomsticks in all the slots.

I bought a sheet of plywood, cut out slots with a scroll saw, routered the edge, and covered it with cloth.

This reduced my alleged safe space from 50 ( realistically 16 with scopes, bolt, and pistol grips) to an actually usable 22 even with 4 shelves on the side taking up space.

"Yeah I’d hate to lose my guns, some are irreplaceable."......

Not just you OP.

The heirloom on the left saw it's last day on the range years ago, has a couple of very slight scuffs you can barely see, and all metal is under a thick layer of grease. The furniture is heavily waxed. It was "old-new" stock that sat in the dealers warehouse for years when I tracked it down.

It has the old Remington WM "KKKAAA-CHIINK" when you rack it. Has the best wood I've seen on a WM in person, and it's going to my younger son when I go, because his eyes light up, and he gets a big grin on his face when he racks the gun.

It's his, to remind him of me.

Rem-WMLST34-W.jpg

My comment is after you decide on what the proper size safe is for your needs you should purchase the at least the next size larger safe and more likely will need or eventually need two sizes larger. No matter what size safe you purchase unless you really diligently restrain yourself the number of long guns will equal or exceed the safe capacity. Whether long or short guns or other valuables, people will tend to fill the avaliable safe space with something of value.

In the market for a gun/fire safe.Was wondering how many non optic guns are equal to one with optics in regards to space?
Others' comments about functional capacity is about half advertised capacity is pretty close. In regard to the "buy bigger" suggestions, consider multiple safes rather than the "buy biggest." Easier to move, spreads the breaching risk over more safes in the event of a theft attempt. Always good to have a strong safe/s. Better to have a strong safe/s that aren't located to even attempt breaching. Safes, especially the typical RSCs....Residential Storage Containers , are merely an illusion of security. As old Harley buddy, a professional locksmith, liked to say, "Locks and safes merely keep kids and the terminally stupid out. However, one never breaches what one can't find."