• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safe

Charliehorse794

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Tallahassee, Fl USA
I am trying to choose between two gun safes: A Liberty Colonial Deluxe and a Cannon TS6030E. Both hold about 21 guns. The Liberty has 2" extra depth. The Cannon has the integrated outlets. Price is the same and both have electronic key pad entry. Any pros / cons on either? Thank.

Re: Gun Safe

Go with the one that has the best fire rating. Looks like the Liberty Colonial Deluxe can withstand 1200 degrees at 45 minutes.

I did a lot of research into this, Sturdy Gun Safes won out for price and performance. Not the prettiest, but protects a lot better for a lot less than competitors. I just need to save up and buy one now.

Most safes out there have too thin of steel. The Liberty Colonial has only 12 gauge which a sawzall can get through. As well, many use stuff like fiber board or sheet rock for fire proofing instead of material actually designed for fire proofing. No safe is completely safe and it is definately diminishing returns, but if you do some research and look at some videos of how easy it is to get into your standard safe you see at Cabelas your opinion might change about getting one as did mine.

Yeah, Graffunder also looked really solid but as I recall the price put them out of my range.

For the price go with the AMSEC SF series, I was between the Colonial and SF but the Amsec SF has a sixty minute fire rating where the colonial has a 45 minute fire rating. And they are in the same price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Home fires do not last 45 minutes. Fat Boy Jr. is the best safe for the money. </div></div>
Exactly. If the fire does last longer than 45 minutes, your gun safe will be the least of your worries

My opinions on safes are we spend 3-5K on these rifles not to mention the scopes so don't skimp on the safe. I'd get the best safe you can afford.

I went with a Liberty from Gander Mountain when they were running a sale. Have no complaints...is roomy and fire rated.

I have both Drake and Cannon Fire Safes. A good design feature of the Drake is that it has WELDED edges. The Cannon has bended edges. This makes the Cannon (and other safes like it) more vulnerable to a safe cracker who uses a grinder along the edges. Also, my personal preference is the tumbler type of lock--I have a natural concern for anything that uses a battery...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to choose between two gun safes: A Liberty Colonial Deluxe and a Cannon TS6030E. Both hold about 21 guns. </div></div>

Just make sure the safe you buy will be big enough. If your guns are loaded with scopes, bipods and other stuff you will not be able to get 21 guns in a 21 gun safe.

Although Liberty safes are decent safes for the money I wouldn't call the fire protection they offer great, but it is better than nothing. I'm not bashing Liberty safes, I own a Fatboy myself and it serves it's intended purpose. But if you want to see some real fire protection check out Graffunder and Brown Safe Manufacturing and see how they fireproof their safes. They cost more for a reason.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/faq.html

http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/faq/Fire_Protection.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Home fires do not last 45 minutes. Fat Boy Jr. is the best safe for the money.</div></div>

I've always wondered about this. Say you had your safe in the basement and it ended up at the bottom of a smoldering ash pile. I'm guessing if so it could stay and quite an elevated temperature for some time. Maybe that's highly unlikely, but I bought Liberty's Presidential mostly for the added fire protection.

I've been doing my own research and after talking with my sheriff posse friends, and really changed direction. Most gun safes are just RSC ratings....literally 2 minutes to break in to. My Posse brothers say they are broken into all the time, normally not to get to guns, but people are storing cash and jewels in these containers thinking the storage is safe.

The only "Gun Safe" that is actually secure from 90% semi-pro thieves or punks are the Graffunder or also checkout Brown Safes which offer pre-configured safes for guns with equivalent protection to Graffunder - at HALF the price. Graffunder is nice, but VERY expensive.

www.defensiveterrain.com
I've also discovered that hard-to-get european burglary-grade safes can be obtained and the brands offer entry level models that are very secure and actually affordable. These are being imported by www.defensiveterrain.com . They are not velvet lined and pre-configuredinside as gun safes. The are only general use bank and jewelry grade sales, just shelves offered. So DIY internal configuration would be needed to convert these into a plush "gun safe" inside. But talk about high end security! I'm seriously considering the entry-level Chubb Grade 1 safe which is fire and burglarly and equivalent to TL-15 protection.

Terry