• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Vaults

nevertoomanyar15s

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2010
Recently I have been doing gun and burglary safe research. Came across this. This stuff looks serious and probably out of most people's league, but checkout the ultimate gun storage for the avid gun collector, or bank-grade storage of major assets! ;-) Very cool! Good information. Different than your normal retail online gun safes.
-Terry

www.defensiveterrain.com

Re: Gun Vaults

Just wanted to share my own discovery in my own search for a gun safe. I've learned some information that I haven't seen mentioned on the board related to Gun Safe options. Sharing it with my gun-brothers.

I've been doing my own research for buying my own safe, and after talking with my sheriff posse friends, I have really changed direction. Most gun safes are just RSC ratings....literally 2 minutes to break in to. My Posse brothers say they are broken into quite often; normally not to get to guns, but people are storing cash and jewels in these containers thinking the storage is safe.The only (2) "Gun Safe" that is actually secure from 90% semi-pro thieves or punks are the Graffunder or also checkout Brown Safes which offer pre-configured safes for gun storage with equivalent protection to the Graffunder - at HALF the price!! Graffunder is nice, but VERY expensive and their security is not as secure as high end professional burglary safes.I've also discovered that hard-to-get european burglary-grade safes can be obtained and the brands offer entry level models that are very secure and actually affordable. These are being imported by www.defensiveterrain.com . They are not velvet lined and pre-configuredinside as gun safes. The are only general use bank and jewelry grade sales, just shelves offered. So DIY internal configuration would be needed to convert these into a plush "gun safe" inside. But talk about high end security! I'm seriously considering the entry-level Chubb Grade 1 safe which is fire and burglarly and equivalent to TL-15 protection.

Hope people find this useful....keep in mind...everyone has an opinion. My 2 cents

Terry

thats the problem with safes....most of them are worth more than the guns i own!

I hear you! Insurance will cover the guns, but once I started colelcting guns I may never be able to find or that the Feds will prevent me from getting again in the future, it became another story. Last year with economy I also started to think about hiding ca$h with my guns, then I felt I finally needed a real safe both fire and burglar proof, and started down the path.

The bad and the good news; bad - there is a lot of false security people are buying in gun safes - the good news - if you research - you find that "real security' can be obtained for a fair price. Options I found:

1. Used safes...found a local commercial bank safe distributor that sells used reconditioned that are TL-15 steel-plate safes for about $1,800. Some friends are buying old used ATMs and getting them re-locked and using the built-in safe from the shell of the ATM to store their weapons. They aren't pretty, but for about $600 you have something more burglar proof than a UL RSC-rated gun safe.

2. Next up, found that I can get high tech european safes New, at the equiv of TL-15 protection; much lighter weight than american sold safes, both Fire and Burglar rated - and for around $3K-$4K depending on size. Better than anything I could find sold in US. Defensive terrain imports them. If you want to hard core protection, they can import explosive, burglar and fire proof safes that are equivalent to TXTL-60x6 all 6 side protection for 1 hour of attack with explosives or torch. Wow! Only down point, no internal pre-fab decoration for Gun stow.

3.Brown safes offers a lot of options for more value than the popular brand names on this board, and these guys just must have lousy marketing, because nobody seems to know them.

-T

This smacks of guerilla advertising.

i bought a used tl30 from a jewlery store that closed, weighs around 4k but i sleep better at night, i installed carpet on the floor and a golden rod. not pretty like a gun safe but more secure..

I have been looking also. Seems like the Amsec BF series is the best value that I have seen. Not a tl30 but a nice safe

AMSEC makes some good safes, but note that their BF series are just RSC rated gun safes. 2 Men with crow bars can break into them in 2 minutes. Just know what you are buying and careful what you put inside - make sure it is insured.

U.L. Residential Security Container (RSC) Burglary Classification.

Good luck in your hunt.

Just my opinion from my research, but The AMSEC AMVAULT is the way to go if you are storing high $$$ valuable assets, and if you can swing the cost.

Good luck.

Just wanted to add... The AMSEC HS Series Gun Safes are very nice...one my short list fo consideration presently. Check out the specs on these. People pay $10K for Graffunder, but actually, these are just as good for security and protection.

I looked at the hs series. my local gun store has 2. They are sweet, but 8k for the safe and another 2-3k to move it into the house. Weighs like 3500lbs. I think the fire resistance is the most important. But if you are storing cash gold ect.. in excess of 100k tl30 is the way to go, but get one with fire protection. cash burns easily and insurance wont cover it.

Brown safes (link above) makes a commercial gun safe for police that is nice and very affordable. I stumbled across these guys web hunting. It is really nice, you can even get them up to a TL-30 rating. Take a look there before you buy. For a pre-configured safe as a gun safe, these seem a lot less expensive than other options out there.

I've narrowed down my own choices. My short list has become the following, not in any order: Leaning towards the Chubb or Brown right now. Interested in other's comparisons of these?

1.Chubb's DuoGuard TL-15(Fire and Burglary) - not pre-configured as a gun safe, very light, easy to move into a house (about $4K for larger sizes), S&G electornic lock. awesome technology and value
www.defensiveterrain.com , then follow the Chubbsafe link.
http://www.chubbsafes.com/Pages/default.aspx

2.Brown Safe's Commerical weapons safes, available from B-rating to F-rating, with Fire protection options. (About $4K-$5K), configured for basic weapons stow, not fancy inside, but functional. Great value it seems. Not handled by local dealers, but they will coordinate shipping to your house. See
http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/commercial_gun_safes/gun_safes.htm

3.AMSEC AMVAULT in TL-15 (Fire and Burglary), (about $5K-$6K), local dealers available, heavy and hard to get in house, no pre-configuration as gun safe, electronic lock is additional cost. http://www.amsecusa.com/Burglary_and_Fire_Protection/AmVault_TL-15_and_TL-30/

4. AMSEC HS Series in TL-15 (Fire and Burglary), (about $9K), high security, plus a traditional Gun configured safe. Retails for more than a Graffunder, but AMSEC dealers can discount where Graffunder won't allow, so the safe is actually less expensive to get, and better. http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/HS_Series_Gun_Safes/

5. Chubb's Trident in TXTL-60x6, Explosive proof, if I went to the extreme (About $10K), 1 hour 6-sided protection from fire, tools, torch, and explosive attack. Not pre-configured as a gun safe, but holy crapy, as secure as a bank Class I vault. If I even would consider spending $9K+ on a safe, I'm giving this one serious consideration. I can cancel my bank deposit box and put all my high $$$ valuables in it too and know that nobody is gettin to it. This is an Extreme security safe/vault. Only catch, would have to DIY to convert into a plush gun safe also. They a also make a big double-door version for about $15K. More than I can afford, but Graffunder high spenders should know about these in my honest opinion. ;-)
http://www.chubbsafes.com/products/combinedprotection/Pages/Trident.aspx

6. Original TL-30x6, very good value for $$$, made in South Africa I beleive, imported, used by jewelers, high security with Fire protection, no toruch protection however, and very HEAVY. (about $5K-$6K). Not pre-configured as gun safe. Not typically carried by local dealers, but dealers across the country will help ship for you. http://www.deansafe.com/lkjrepoimem.html

From what I've researched over 4 months, these really seem to be the best money spent safes with highest value to $$$ ratio. Plan decide in the next couple weeks. Interested in what others have found that I may have missed.

Of course, for the man that has everything or just has so many guns he needs 2-3 safes, this is way cool!! About $45K, your own personal vault! Imported by defensive terrain.
http://www.rosengrens.com/products/vaults/Pages/celinus.aspx

Buy the biggest one you can afford. They fill up quick. All those you listed look like great choices. Check how much delivery into your house is especailly if up or down stairs. It can get crazy expensive with these monsters you are looking at.

REally good advice, I've had a number of friends advise, get a safe at least 50% bigger than I think I need and they even suggest double the size that I think I need.

Agree, Weight is definately a problem if trying to move a safe inside. This is why I am really liking what I am finding out about the European stuff. Their technology is very advanced and their barrier material they are using for safes is 50% the weight of American brands. With them, you can get high security small safes as light as 300 lbs; Larger Gun-safe sized safes weighing 1,000 lbs. Of course, then they need to be secured so somebody doesn't try to move them. Interesting enough the Modular Vault is revolutionary in weight, only 6,000 lbs...and because it comes in pre-fab sections, it is moved section at a time. So you can almost put that thing anywhere.

Btw - beware!!! I've been finding out that safe dealers are sometimes ripping off people on the "Moving of the Safe". I had one dealer try this with me. Gave me a great price quote, but then hit me with a $1,500 delivery estimate.

This is a gimmick of local safe dealers - be careful. It only takes 2-3 guys and some lift tools to move these safes over a few hours.

I discovered this, when I was looking at getting a used safe from a bank-grade safe company...and they only wanted to charge me $400 to deliver a 3,000 lb safe, and install in my residential garage.

Another example, even the guys that import the european safes can deliver european safes anywhere installed into you garage for between $400 and $900 depending on size - and that includes cross country shipping.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nevertomanyAR15s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LA,California - surrounded by a bunch of liberal anti-gunners! ;-)</div></div>

Your IP address says Scottsdale, AZ. Same as Defensiveterrain.com....crazy coincedence.

Ouch

POPCORN and cold drink in hand this should get real good!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This smacks of guerilla advertising. </div></div>

combined with jasonk's comment I would have to say.....

ding ding ding, we have a winner!!

Maybe MrLA will pony up a safe for the Bash (or maybe he'll disappear).

So you think, actually I know of them because they are local to Scottsdale, AZ which is my home base and I currently am working remote from CA. Living/Contracting in LA, CA remote because I lost my AZ local job.

Get a life.

14 posts in one thread pushing a product?
Too many vendors here that play by house rules for schills to go unnoticed pal.

Can see how it looks like that. Not sure what product I was pushing here, other than being a fan of quite a few.

And No, MrLA ain't going to pony up a Safe...needs to get himself one first when he can afford it.

For that much I am sure I would be sleeping in it, trying to mount a scope and bipods to it, and trap wild game with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: widnerkj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That web page is kinda fishy... Everything is comming soon. Neat idea, but jury is still out. </div></div>

Yeap, this seems to be more of a scam than advertising. I find it hard to believe someone is so enamored with this defensive terrain site when it plainly looks like a shit scam site and offers no details. All the links go to something "coming soon".