• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Guns and coffee

IMG_20220101_113836735.jpg

My old tried and true Ultra Carry ll.

Coffee & getting out this .45 for a range session tomorrow.

Something just a bit better than normal with this cup of java, however.......... it is extra smoove.

Finally followed through on the tip from @azbiker

I had a friend recommend one of these years ago. Did some research and ended up buying one. I bought the thermal carafe model which keeps the coffee hot all day long without heating it after it's brewed. Available multiple places including Amazon.

Got a deal on this smaller model which will actually be moved to the reloading bench in my mancave.

Thanks for the most excellent suggestion.

These things truly brew a smooth cup and do so very swiftly.

Minimal time farting around waiting on it to brew. I can wake up, fire it up, go let the dogs outside-back inside and it's ready to sip.

Coffee & getting out this .45 for a range session tomorrow.

Something just a bit better than normal with this cup of java, however.......... it is extra smoove.

Finally followed through on the tip from @azbiker

Got a deal on this smaller model which will actually be moved to the reloading bench in my mancave.

Thanks for the most excellent suggestion.

These things truly brew a smooth cup and do so very swiftly.

Minimal time farting around waiting on it to brew. I can wake up, fire it up, go let the dogs outside-back inside and it's ready to sip.
Great! Glad you are enjoying it.

I like the color you chose and your 1911.

Found this orphan.
First year (1983) production, Smith & Wesson N-frame Model 50 / 24-3, new in the box 4" .44 Special, Goncalo Alves (tiger wood) target grips, case-colored hammer-trigger, guarded ejection rod, adjustable rear sight. Gotta love the $5.00 / hr labor charge sheet.

IMG_2154Smith & Wesson Model 24-3 4 02.19.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2156Smith & Wesson Model 24-3 4 02.19.22 copy.jpg

IF we could just get the liberal coffee purveyor to engage in a nickel-per-cup donation to the NRA or some such, life might be better
for the unwashed at large.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Won this brew from a relative who works there. Not bad. Here's a cup for the wife (I drink my coffee "plain") with her carry.

20220228_194741.jpg

Thinking about one of these Moccamasters; working up some questions for y'all.

Reactions: MJF and DubfromGA
My favorite coffees are Specialty Grade Ethiopians, prepared using the pour over method. Today's offering: a washed Nansebo Ethiopian.

Pictured is the Jamaican 6gt.

Attachments

• 20220219_122009.jpg
    20220219_122009.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220303_074633.jpg
    20220303_074633.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Public Service Announcement:

This stuff is horrid.....too much flavor additive bullcrap. Good coffee is good beans, proper roast and desired grind.....no additives.

Glad I tried it.....never would know otherwise. Gave their sampler pack a run.

YMMV, but it's not for me.

Reactions: MJF and DeRico
You don't see these everyday. Franchi SPAS (Sporting Pump Auto Shotgun) 12 with folding stock with the metal "hook" butt stock.
The "Sporting Shotgun" was added to the nomenclature of the shotgun to avoid the notion is was a tactical firearm that was
was prohibited by the 1984 BATF firearm ban; mine shown is one year pre-ban. There are several butt stock variations that were offered, but the metal folding "hook" is the
the desired collectible.

A cult following of the shotgun after being featured in the movie "The Terminator" with Schwartznegger. It took 10 years but I finally cobbled together all the possible accessories for the shotgun. The pump mode was desirable to shoot riot soft rubber rounds. It had a recall for the original lever safety which could fire the round when taking "off" the safety; a factory recall involved cross-bolt safety replace the lever style. One of the interesting "accessories" was a 2-piece "muzzle diverter" that screws on to the end of the threaded barrel and transforms the shot pattern into
a lateral (horizontal) pattern for a higher probability of humanoid target hit; purchased it new from the Spas12.com site for $1300 last year, a few years ago I paused @ $500 bucks, bad idea! in retrospect. This one shown has about one box of shells thru it. I authored a technical manual on the lever v. cross bolt safety mechanisms just for fun. It is a very clumsy shotgun to manipulate and I would never consider picking it up for self-defense.

A little mind-numbing back story on the "muzzle device" historical development.
A variety of shotgun muzzle devices have been tried over the years to enhance their effectiveness in a defensive role. One item that comes off often is "Duck Bill Spreaders" most seem to originate in the early 70's. Crane Lake is often cited as were their origin and cited has being used by the SEAL's in Vietnam and by the Air Force Security Forces.

In each case they are cited as being regulated for use with #4 buck shot. Relative reference manuals from the early 70's reveals #4 buckshot was the preferred load for LE-military shotguns.

Crane Lake is often cited as such prototype muzzle devices used by the SEAL's in Vietnam and the Air Force Security Forces.

A&W muzzle in "The Police Shotgun Manual", by Roger H. Robinson, 1973. Mr. Robinson includes many high speed photos that were provided by A&W Engineering of shot loads coming out of the A&W duck-bill device; photos show the diverter to be very efficient at pattern modification

At 10 yards a 7 1/2" H x 29" W pattern with #4
At 30 yards a 25" H x 96" W pattern with #4.
A claimed a 22% reduction in recoil an diminish the muzzle flash to that of a .38 special at night.
A slug can be used as well, imparting two grooves on either side of the slug with a reduction in projectile yaw.
According to Swearengen in _The World's Fighting Shotguns, the US Air Force Directorate of Security Police in the mid-1960s developed a requirement for a spreader choke that would produce a wide elliptical shot pattern. This horizontal pattern spread was supposed to increase the hit probability from a shotgun on a moving target.
The Air Force request went to Frankford Arsenal for action, at the time Frankford was working on improvements to the military shotgun in general. Early experiments at producing a spreader choke were less than successful- the chokes split, patterned poorly and in various ways failed to produce te desired result. Ultimately Frankford ordnance engineer Charles A Greenwood developed the duckbill choke in answer to the Air Force requirement. It was subjected to a good deal of laboratory and field testing.
The original duckbill choke was simply a sleeve with a long V-notch cut on either side, the apex of the V toward the rear. The top and bottom of the sleeve were compressed toward the center line at the muzzle, constricting the emerging pattern of shot in the vertical plane and forcing it to spread horizontally. The sleeve was permanently brazed onto the barrel so that it would not be blown off or rotated by firing the gun.
Early examples of duckbill- equipped shotguns were deployed to Vietnam in the hands of Marines and Navy SEALs. It was found that the open V- notches in the muzzle of the duckbill hung up badly on vegetation as the shotgunner tried to move through thick growth, so the duckbill was modified with a ring around its muzzle to exclude vines and branches. It was discovered that the spreader device worked as advertised, but in reality what was needed in a fighting shotgun was a way of producing dense, lethal patterns.
Spreaders in field testing produced patterns five feet high and twelve feet wide at 30 meters with #4 buckshot loads. At 40 meters, patterns were six feet high and sixteen feet wide. At 40 meters an average sized man would only be hit by a couple of pellets. But with a standard cylinder bored barrel shooting approximately a four- foot circular pattern at 40 meters, some 60% of the shot would strike an average man- sized target.
Still, the duckbill choke had its adherents, among SEALS especially. Development on the idea continued for several years. Clifford Ashbrook and Wilson Wing of Kexplore, Inc. in Houston, TX developed the A&W Diverter in the late 1960s using mathematical concepts, and received patent protection (# 3,492,750) in February 1970.
The HK 512 gas operated 7+1 shotgun, it was manufactured by Franchi for HK under a contract to supply an elite force in Germany (GSG9), i.e. the "Anti-Terrorist Shotgun" . A production over run of 270 units which were imported into the US, employing a shot diverter that creates a rectangular spread .
CIMG0983 Franchi SPAS 12 copy.JPG
Franchi Brochure Cover copy.jpg
Franchi SPAS12 Recall Notice 1991 copy.jpg
IMG_3261 copy.JPG
IMG_9416Franchi SPAS 12 Muzzle Diverter Device 2021 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.00.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.01.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.05.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.05.49 PM.png

Last edited:
.......Needs coffee!
Found this like-new 1988-89 S&W M29-4, round butt, case colored 3" highly polished
blue unfluted cylinder to be the stable mate for my 629-Backpacker.
S&W used both a Pachmayr and Hogue grip on this model, 5:1 mfg with the Pachmayr "Presentation" grip style.
The same Pachymayr grip was designed for the K frames, but it apparently fit good-enough to mount it on their N frames.
It's handsome. I have the Hogue combat grip to mount.

IMG_2765 copy.jpg
IMG_2766 copy.jpg
IMG_2767 copy.jpg
IMG_2770 copy.jpg
IMG_2773 copy.jpg
IMG_2778 copy.jpg