• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Guns in a Fire

Ranger70

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2007
Stagecoach,Nv 89429
My shop burned to the concrete last Saturday..... burned all of the wood off and melted the scopes one all my rifles. Anyway to save them???

Attachments

• 20180210_124546_resized_1.jpg
    20180210_124546_resized_1.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 20180212_101849.jpg
    20180212_101849.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20180212_101904_resized.jpg
    20180212_101904_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
Hope you had insurance. I can't see that any could be returned to use for reasonable cost. Sorry.

Yeah, I don't think I'd risk returning them to service, and the cost to do so would probably be equal to (or close to it) the cost of buying new. Sorry to see the loss, but hopefully they were insured!

40 lbs powder 200,000 primers and 210 50 cal full of ammo gone and 100 guns!!! 4 Dillon press and all the accessory's of shooting and reloading
47 years worth. Jim Changed to 40 lbs my bad one 0 to many.Jim

Last edited:
400 lbs powder 200,000 primers and 210 50 cal full of ammo gone and 100 guns!!! 4 Dillon press and all the accessory's of shooting and reloading
47 years worth. Jim
That sucks.

400 lbs powder 200,000 primers and 210 50 cal full of ammo gone and 100 guns!!! 4 Dillon press and all the accessory's of shooting and reloading
47 years worth. Jim
Damn, I bet there were alot of booms going on in that blaze. Such a bummer, nobody hurt? Thank god! A huge farm shop lit up near me and the explosions of aersol and propane bottles woke me, scary shit man. It was like bombs going off for a few hours. I hope you find a way to move forward after this with a good attitude.

47 years worth. Jim

What a shitty deal. How may I help?

Those pictures made my stomach turn. So sorry you are having to deal with that sir.
Years as a fireman and it never stopped when I see someone lose their home, barn, or workshop.

Like our friendly farmer asked, what can we do to help?

My shop burned to the concrete last Saturday..... burned all of the wood off and melted the scopes one all my rifles. Anyway to save them???

It may be possible to save a few barrels, but the reconditioning and testing will likely cost more than they are worth. You surely had temperatures above 1200, and likely into to 2000 range just based on what I see, so your actions will be ruined for sure.

So sorry.

I agree with Badfinder , insurance is not gonna write you an easy check on this one , sorry that happened to you.

Let me know if you need anything , I've got some extra powder , primers , bullets, brass.

I agree with Badfinder , insurance is not gonna write you an easy check on this one , sorry that happened to you.

You would be amazed what insurance pays, after 25 years working in this industry on the investigative side, I am still amazed at times. They pay based on the policy, if he had coverage. If he did not, nothing anyone can do about it. Guy is having a rough week, don't make it worse. Public Adjusters and Attorneys will likely cost him more than they will gain him, unless there is a bad faith issue. And he is in CA, which is even better for him.

About 10 years ago I had a collection 90 series HK rifles, a MK23 pistol and several AR's stored at a business that was destroyed in a fire. The HK service center at Trussville cleaned up and recoated the MK23 slide and barrel, put it on a new polymer frame and it was like new. They had no concerns regarding the fire temp. The 90 series rifles damaged receivers, bolts and barrels were blasted and coated and after I picked up new furniture and odds and ends they were back in like new condition. The fire was hot enough that it melted/vaporized the AR receivers but the steel guns were salvaged. As it was a fire, the insurance of the buildings owner picked up the bill on the repairs/refurbishing and replaced the AR's. Not sure of your insurance but they might be covered under your fire policy (instead of a separate rider for theft.) You also might be able to salvage some depending on what you have. Good luck man, it sucks!

You would be amazed what insurance pays, after 25 years working in this industry on the investigative side, I am still amazed at times. They pay based on the policy, if he had coverage. If he did not, nothing anyone can do about it. Guy is having a rough week, don't make it worse. Public Adjusters and Attorneys will likely cost him more than they will gain him, unless there is a bad faith issue. And he is in CA, which is even better for him.

I'm concerned about 400 lbs of gunpowder and 200,000 primers that may not be properly stored........

I'm concerned about 400 lbs of gunpowder and 200,000 primers that may not be properly stored........

Unless the FD issues him a citation, there is no easy basis for the Insurance Company to deny a claim. That means they have to work pretty hard to prove intent. I have been on both sides as an expert, even cases where criminal intent was obvious, but the insurance company paid to avoid the costs of a bad faith claim. Kind of the same when the PD refuses to issues a ticket in a MVA...pretty hard to make the case in front of a jury that a "trained" LEO could not come to more than a suspicion of liability.

Been there - done that. We had a house fire, caused by the incorrect installation of a gas hot water heater that allowed 1000 gallons of propane gas to leak into the house and ignite. DO NOT throw anything out 'til an adjuster takes a look. PHOTOGRAPH everything. If possible, go through everything while making your list, and then organize it so if the insurance company wants to confirm it, it will be easy to walk them through it. My insurance company made me jump through every hoop they could think of in order to get paid. Unfortunately for them, I am the type of guy that documents everything. I had huge amounts of reloading components, along with my firearms. When the adjuster came to verify the amounts I had submitted, after walking though the first 1/4 of it, and seeing the remainder all lined up, he looked at me and said, " is that the rest?". "Yep." I used the pricing from several on line retailers for my replacement costs ( could have used retail pricing ) and explained that they were getting a price break, the adjuster was happy to give me my submitted replacement costs.

2evdlsm.jpg

It will be a tough time. It will break your heart. But, make them pay - that's what you paid your premiums for. Sincerely wish you the best in recovery.

Last edited:

Hi,
For Rangers sake I hope this information is not completely true but I pulled this from Calguns forum during a search on propellants in California...

11-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities
not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original
containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not
exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences
where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least
1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

Sincerely,
THEIS

If there's insurance (and the OP didn't specify), and IF it's on a HO (Homeowner's policy)
It's going to depend on what the State's "standard form HO" policy includes....
This is not the main residence. On an HO policy (speaking for my state) there is coverage for "other structures"...
There is a limit on firearms under std. form HO policies- $2K I believe- along with jewelry....
Unless itemized and covered by a separate rider, that's all there is. Doesn't matter if you've got a half million in contents coverage- these items are limited. Often, appraisals, etc. are required to document values and for them to insure.

Unfortunately I've been through this myself. Sorry for your loss. They're mere tomatoe stakes at this point. The heat ruined them. Best of luck in recovering.