• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guns: Wish you had, wish you skipped

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Fun Sunday topic..

We've all been there or are there. What guns do you wish you would have picked up over something you did, and what guns do you wish you would have passed on but didn't.

Happy Sunday.. go SMOKE in Vegas!

Re: Guns: Wish you had, wish you skipped

Wished I never sold off my original Brit L1A1, and wish I never laid eyes on that POS SMLE Ishapore carbine in 308. Every other gun I have ever owned I still have except for teh UZI Model B and it's 'parts'(traded for the L1A1, best trade ever) and the Ruger P85(traded back straight across for the 45 I built for my friend).
Wished I had an HK a while back, found one cheap, wished it was a FAL, then traded it straight across for a R1A1 Aussie FAL...Aussie FAL is every bit of the gun my L1A1 was and has a better barrel

M1 Garand I picked up cheap, but the insurance needed to get paid so it got sold. Same thing with my first 1911 and the truck payment. I'm still trying to get that one back but that's another story.

I have a couple bought from some friends who were in the same money trouble I was when I was younger, but buying a gun off a friend and letting them keep their honor beats giving them a loan any day of the week. The guns weren't that great and I paid more than I could have paid otherwise, but that wasn't the point. I still have them just in case they ever want them back. Not necessarily a regret, but definitely some dust collectors in the safe.

My first gun I wish I had passed on would have to be my .338lm r700 yah it seemed reall cool but its just a big money pit, now for all I have into it I wish I had boughten my buddies used KMW from him.

89Hmmm lessee-

wish I never had? an EAA witness compact and a clone HK 91
both shot like crap...

wish I kept- my first Para P14, at least ONE of the
Colt HBARs ..

One I should have bought ?? an SP89 converted to a SBR,
with an registered /pre 89 FA conversion and an "undrilled"
can for .....................3500.00 ouch!!
(would have had to store it out of the PRKA- but ir would
have been worth it!!!!!

Purchased a M1A new in box around 1985 , dealer going out of business $441.00. Great investment !!

I wish I'd bought a Marlin 39TDS when they were being made.

My dad talked me out of buying an MP-5 from a class III dealer in 1985.

Dad was sure wrong about that one...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wish I didn't sell:</span>
Les Baer Supertac 1911 (best hangun I ever touched)
Armalite AR10 fully custom WOA (jammed several times, and sold it... should have sent it in to have it looked at.)
SIG 220 .45
M14 Scout

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wish I never bought:</span>

Any cheap 1911 (FTF, FTE, list goes on)
Stag AR15 (Bad fit)
S&W M&P AR15 (Jamamatic)
M1A SOCOM II (Heavy turd)
Steyr SBS Prohunter (Great rifle, no aftermarket support)
Glock G26
TAURUS P22 (Worst handgun ever made IMHO)
Keltec U16

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: super-tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Glock G26

</div></div>

why is this? I rather like mine

Even though I love the taste of Glock Coolaid, I could never get used to the pinky hanging off. I'm sticking to the G19/23. G26 is a great concealable sidearm for some, just not me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: super-tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Glock G26

</div></div>

why is this? I rather like mine </div></div>

What happened with the Ruger pistol? Was it a MKII? Those things are bulletproof, and if they aren't, Ruger just flat out delivers on CS..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened with the Ruger pistol? Was it a MKII? Those things are bulletproof, and if they aren't, Ruger just flat out delivers on CS.. </div></div>

I'm sorry, I miss typed. It was a Taurus P22. Biggest POS that I ever touched. This thing would not fire more than one shot in a row no matter what ammo used, how dry/oiled it was.

Wish I hadnt sold the Springfield Armory NM M1A I bought in about 1990.

Should have bought the MP5 with the Navy trigger group for $3500 a ways back.

Should have passed on the black powder 44 cal revolver.

Wish I would have bought a Winchester model 94 30-30 for $75 in college that a guy was selling who needed money.

Wish I skipped- any Taurus, PT145 and titanium 357 Mag.

When I was a youngster, ma said I could have my choice of rifles to be used for the upcoming deer hunt. I had it narrowed down to a .30-30 M94 Winchester or a .270 M70. Well, I chose the M94. I guess all the cowboy movies at the time was the major influence in that. This took place in 1957.

It didn't take too many years to realize I had made a mistake. I still have the M94 though.

I kinda wish I hadn't sold my Barrett M99 a few years back.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wished I never sold:</span> Galil Model 329 7.62 Pre-ban because I was young, broke, and needed rent money.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wished I never bought: </span> Universal brand M-1 carbine that blew up on me.

Tec-9 ghetto sprayer with the screw-on "barrel extender".

wish I never sold a smith corona 03A3 I got about 10 years ago and sold about 6 years ago for beer money.
Wish I still had a 98K bring back I bought from a friend who was hurtin for money, traded it for sumthin I dont even remember what

Sold my Para Ordanance 45, had 3, 15round doublestacked mags. A friend offered 1k for it, I paid 500 from a guy that needed rent money, sounded like a good deal at the time.

Sold my little browning 22 I got as a kid from my father. saw it later at a GUN SHOW for 1200 dollars as a collecter item.

Traded a 8 guage for a new set of remington ultralight 1100's ( got the 16, 12, 20, and 28 guage for it) once again was a collector item.

Sold a malfunctioning muzzleloader, found out later it was my great, greatgrand fathers Musket issued from the confederate army. was offered 3k for it and I was 16yrs old. Sold it to a cousins husband. He would not sell it back. My mother was extreamly pissed over that one.

Kept everything else from both my grandparrents, was not or will not sell another firearm with out research it first.

Along the way I passed up severel I should have bought but never look back at what could have been for it will not give you what you have now.

But I recently aquired a Win 284, and a Sears and Robuck 20g with pollychoke gave 200 dollars for the both at a pawn shop.

I sold a h&k usp custom combat in 40 for 800. Brand new they are 1000+ now and don't have colored frames. Mine was OD.

My Ruger P85 was a gen 1 before the Mk1 safety fix came out. It shot like a dream. I built my .45 for a really good friend and when we moved to Hawaii, I didn't want to get rid of all my 15 round mags so we traded straight across, my P85(that at the time had the MkI fix factory direct), Hogue grips, and six mags for the .45 and 8 mags. I go tthe better deal on that! When I think back on that Ruger, it ran like a sewing machine with anything that was fed into it from fmj's to plastic coated hp's or 147jhp's. +p+ and less it shotit all really well. Panty 6 loved it...until she fired the .45. That was all it took to seal the deal on the trade

I should of passed up the Henry AR-7 plastic barrel and all.

I wish I had passed on my S&W 5904. Thing is a POS.

I haven't sold any that I wish I didn't, but my old man sold a Sig 220 I told him not to. Still wanna hit him every time I remember he did that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Ruger P85 was a gen 1 before the Mk1 safety fix came out. It shot like a dream. I built my .45 for a really good friend and when we moved to Hawaii, I didn't want to get rid of all my 15 round mags so we traded straight across, my P85(that at the time had the MkI fix factory direct), Hogue grips, and six mags for the .45 and 8 mags. I go tthe better deal on that! When I think back on that Ruger, it ran like a sewing machine with anything that was fed into it from fmj's to plastic coated hp's or 147jhp's. +p+ and less it shotit all really well. Panty 6 loved it...until she fired the .45. That was all it took to seal the deal on the trade </div></div>

Every Ruger P85=Fail. If you had made it a boat anchor you would have been doing the gun world a favor.

Guns I wish to have skipped:

* Bauer .25 auto(even at only $40, POS!!!)
* Two Bushmaster AR's (just not accurate at all!)
* Ruger M77 in .223 (Just not as accurate as other rifles I've had.)

WISH I'd Purchased/Had:

* A few of the 1903's I see at a local store that all seem to come into store RIGHT AFTER I spent any savings I had on another gun.!! GRRRRRR!!!
mad.gif

* Kept my Colt Gold Cup

-G45

Skips
Ruger LCP
EX wife's Beretta 92FS
S&W 442
Stoeger model 2000 (aweful POS)

Wish I had
H&K SP89 (700.00 at the time I passed on it... stupid)
Benelli m1 Super 90 (had one, sold it, miss it)
Sig 228, should never have sold that one
M1A, I promised myself 14 years ago, if I broke up with this chick that was draining my bank, I'd save and get one... I never did.

Wish i had ordered the $1000 Russian Flame Thrower from Shotgun News in the early 90's

Wish I never bought:
Kimber 1911 TLE/RL11
Sporting Clays shotguns worth more than AI's and resell worse then remingtons
FN TPS
Weatherby deer rifles, because that deer doesnt care how expensive of a rifle you shoot it with the end results are the same

Wish I never sold:
My first M1A i bought at 18
FN SPR
Dan Wesson CBOB

Wish I had never bought, model94 30-30 in 04, that thing was such a piss of shit it wouldnt hit a coffee can at 50yds. Midland 30-06, sold it to a friend for $80, he said the barrel was LITERALLY bent. Ruger vaquero 45.

Wish I would never have gotten rid of a 10gauge hand made in spain, side by side.

Wish I'd never bought H&K VP70Z, glad I found a sucker, er buyer for it.

Wish I had bought Calico 9 mm w/ 100rnd mags.
Pre 68 deal on 55 cal German anti-tank rifle.

Never seen a gun I didn't like.
Have regreted parting with every one I ever got rid of.

Once upon a time I had an HK 94 I very foolishly traded it for a mini 14 with a bunch of accesories

shankster said:
<span style="font-weight: bold">Wished I never sold:</span> Galil Model 329 7.62 Pre-ban because I was young, broke, and needed rent money.

I just threw up in my mouth ! The Horror.

A few years back I saw the S&W Sigma 40. A gunstore was selling a pair of them for $200 dollars. hell of a good deal, felt good in the hand was brand new would be perfact for the wife. Brought them home. Next day took the wife out shooting. watching her shake, quinnge, grunt, and them BOOM no where near the target. WTF not like her at all. I tried mine, i could not pull the trigger back, am i handleing this right, you damn

Tested the trigger pull out to 22 lbs and no adjustments. Sold them to another Marine the next day. cost him $100. was glad to be rid of them.

my buddy bought a colt delta elite for 800 brand new from some old geezer colt fan he knew. he hit tough times and offered it to me for 650. i wish i had bought it, but i didnt have the cash laying around at the time.

Never should have passed on a NIB HK P7M10 in matte nickel for $1000 a few years ago. Even had it on layaway, but used the money for an 1100 Competition gun.

dscn1724.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
I had an AR15 handgun that was too loud.
I sold it.
It cost me $350 to shoot it twice.

I wish I had stayed away from the 10/22 I had. I made the mistake of thinking it would be fun to customize. It was nothing but a money pit, and it the end of the day it was never fulfilling and did not hold its value well.

Wish I hadn't sold my BAT F-Class rifle.

Wish I skipped the Jennings .380 I bought when I was a dumb kid.

Wish I'd never given up:

My Buffalo Bill Commerative 30-30. Man, that rifle could shoot.
My Billy Dixon Sharps. But that's another story.

Never bought:
Lost some money on a lightweight Colt. Should have just went with a Series 70.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
shankster said:

I just threw up in my mouth ! The Horror. </div></div>

Me too. I physically get sick to my stomach every time I think about it.

About 15 years ago, a guy I worked with was desperate for cash. He offered to sell me an HK 93 with many accessories and several mags. Was the real deal and in excellent shape, only wanted $1000 cash. Not my dream rifle, but coulda made a shit load of money on the resale if I didn't want to keep it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I hadn't sold my BAT F-Class rifle. </div></div>
I told you never to sell that gun!! That was THE best shooting rifle I've ever seen! It was amazing!

Another one I forgot to add. Sold this fireball monster the week after buying it. I can't imagine a real world use for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
dscn1724.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
I had an AR15 handgun that was too loud.
I sold it.
It cost me $350 to shoot it twice. </div></div>

Kicked myself by letting my dad trade a NIB fabarms/HK FP6 pump for a Lanber O/U M82, wasn't a horrible deal (at the time) but I would have preferred the FP6. Haven't sold any of my own. Don't really regret buying any, yet. I do wish I lived in a different state Iowa doesn't allow any class 3, AOW, suppressors etc etc.

I wish I never would have sold my Kimber Desert Warrior.

I wish I would have never bought a SIG P250 but glad I sold it.
The worst DAO trigger ever produced IMHO.

Three things that I wish I would have picked up at the time:

NIB Barrett when they came on the market. $2400 bucks. Still kicking myself.

Steyr AUG, semi auto around the same time as the Barret.

NIB semi-auto BAR that a fellow club member was selling, that he had had for like 10 years, for the same price he paid for it. By the time I decided to go for it, it was gone.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...