• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Gunsmith bench question

DonnieF

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
I am building a gunsmithing/reloading room and i came across a problem i cant sort out. I was just going to buy cheap pre fab kitchen cabinets but i realised the work bench counter top would be to low when sitting on a stool.... so i will have to build my own. So my question is this , how high are you guys bench off the floor?

Re: Gunsmith bench question

mine's 40.5" floor to bench top. Works well standing, or from seated on a taller stool/chair. But guess it depends on how tall you are.

Mine is 39.5" from floor to bench top. I acree with tac220, works well while standing and I bought an adjustable "drafting chair" because the are so tall, works perfect for that height.

The major work the bench is 44" and I use that when I'm doing something that involves being on my feet.

The reloading bench is 36" tall to the primary work surface.

I use on of these.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=329601

The same bench from an industrial supply retailer or hardware store runs around $750, but Sam's keeps them in stock at under @200.

It's 38" high, which is plenty for my shop stool and puts me at the right height. It's also good for standing. It would be hard to find a sturdier be

I use several different types of benchs in my shop and all of them work good. The best deal was I bought 5 solid core doors that were factory seconds for really cheap from a door salesman. Just so happen to have a buddy whos dad sells doors to hardware stores, etc. and he hooked me up with blemished doors that weight about 75 lbs a piece for about $10.00 each. Those are the best bench tops I've ever seen. I put one of them on top of a bathroom cabinet, one on top of some legs I made from pipe and one on a bench that I made out of treated 2X6's for my lathe. I put 1/4" steel on top of that one and then the lathe on top of that. All of the benchs are super sturdy and relatively inexpensive.

url]
[/img]

url]
[/img]

url]
[/img]

i would take a small table you have around(coffee table or something)and use books or something under the legs to adj. the height until it is at a comfortable height for you when standing or sitting in the chair you'll be useing and then measure the height from floor.That should give you a good measurment to build your bench off of.

If you are building it yourself and have the option of any height you want try this. Stand straight with your arms by your sides, bend your elbows so your forearms are parallel to the floor and have someone measure the distance between the floor and your elbows. This will give you teh ideal height for you to work standing and it works well with a barstool too. Mine was either 44" or 46", I can't remember exactly and I don't feel like going to the shop to measure. The point is to be able to easily work with your back straight so you don't develop back issues. Too late for me though.