• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths - Who Do You Trust!

Changed

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2012
    I have had a run of bad luck with gunsmiths. My shooting partner and I have used five different gunsmiths and ordered thirteen barrels over the past few years. Of these thirteen barrels, five had chamber defects or chambering errors. That's a 38% defect rate. Four of these smiths are exceptionally well known ( I will not give their names).

Am I alone in this?

So, who do you trust? Who takes time to understand what you want before agreeing to do the work? Who have you used for F-T/R and Precision Repeater builds. Who specializes in repeaters and single shots that are the most accurate you have ever owned?

ETA: We are running Impact actions for the most part. I am looking for someone who does Impact Pre-Fits.

Last edited:
    WTO and LRI are my go to smiths but Sawtooth rifles, straight jacket armory, Axisworks and GA Precision have also done a great job for me.

I have had a run of bad luck with gunsmiths. My shooting partner and I have used five different gunsmiths and ordered thirteen barrels over the past few years. Of these thirteen barrels, five had chamber defects or chambering errors. That's a 38% defect rate. Four of these smiths are exceptionally well known ( I will not give their names).

Am I alone in this?

So, who do you trust? Who takes time to understand what you want before agreeing to do the work? Who have you used for F-T/R and Precision Repeater builds. Who specializes in repeaters and single shots that are the most accurate you have ever owned?

ETA: We are running Impact actions for the most part. I am looking for someone who does Impact Pre-Fits.
    What kind of defects/issues were you experiencing? Were these all prefits, or send your action in type work?

What kind of defects/issues were you experiencing? Were these all prefits, or send your action in type work?
    Nearly all of these were pre-fits. For Impact's, and TL3's.

The defects were, two chambers cut too short, one chamber cut with wrong freebore, two chambers with severe damage due to the chambering process, and one chamber cut off center or at an angle. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Attached are two examples. Three of these issues came from the same smith.

Honestly, I'd rather not focus on the issues. I want to focus on finding a competent gunsmith with great communication.

IMG_1287.jpegIMG_2421.jpeg

I am not a huge fan of these pre fits other than AI or DTA barrels.

There’s effectively no difference. One could say a prefit for the TL3 is simpler to make because it merely requires a clearance between the bolt nose to the barre breech, whereas the AI needs to be exact to kiss the breech ring.

Nearly all of these were pre-fits. For Impact's, and TL3's.

The defects were, two chambers cut too short, one chamber cut with wrong freebore, two chambers with severe damage due to the chambering process, and one chamber cut off center or at an angle. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Attached are two examples. Three of these issues came from the same smith.

Honestly, I'd rather not focus on the issues. I want to focus on finding a competent gunsmith with great communication.

View attachment 7441489View attachment 7441490
    I understand what you mean, I’m just curious. So of your five gunsmiths, they each made one error? There no easy answer for you I’m afraid.

I understand what you mean, I’m just curious. So of your five gunsmiths, they each made one error? There no easy answer for you I’m afraid.
    Three had a mechanical error of some sort, One is a semi-production shop the product was good, but they do not do one-off customs, One was a dick.

I would go back to the dick for straight easy things. He does great work. He's just too damn busy for little ole me.

Again, all of that is behind me. I'm trying to move forward, but want to find an amazing smith.

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: Baron23
    There’s effectively no difference. One could say a prefit for the TL3 is simpler to make because it merely requires a clearance between the bolt nose to the barre breech, whereas the AI needs to be exact to kiss the breech ring.
    I agree with you, I have never heard nor have I experienced an issue with an ai preferred whereas many have had issues with all the other pre-fit out there and I have multiple AI pre-fits from many different gunsmiths

I agree with you, I have never heard nor have I experienced an issue with an ai preferred whereas many have had issues with all the other pre-fit out there and I have multiple AI pre-fits from many different gunsmiths
    Not all of these were pre-fits. In the cases where the chamber was too short, and the freebore was not to spec the actions came from the same smith. So, no excuse for that to happen.

Again, I do not want this thread to be about anything other than good smiths that have chambered multiple barrels for you. We are not debating the merits of Pre-Fits...etc.

Last edited:
    Three had a mechanical error of some sort, One is a semi-production shop the product was good, but they do not do one-off customs, One was a dick.

I would go back to the dick for straight easy things. He does great work. He's just too damn busy for little ole me.

Again, all of that is behind me. I'm trying to move forward, but want to find an amazing smith.
    Check those guys off the list, and move to the next five. That’s really all you can do. Everyone is just going to recommend their gunsmith. One approach you might take if you’re sure of the chambers and freebore is to have a bunch done at one time but the same outfit. Edit: go in a few separate ways with your buddies on some reamers too, that’ll fix the chamber dimension issues.

Last edited:
    Check those guys off the list, and move to the next five. That’s really all you can do. Everyone is just going to recommend their gunsmith. One approach you might take if you’re sure of the chambers and freebore is to have a bunch done at one time but the same outfit. Edit: go in a few separate ways with your buddies on some reamers too, that’ll fix the chamber dimension issues.

Thanks, Sups.

We are all over it. Appreciate the advice. Definitely moving on,

I have had some gunsmiths who are highly recommended here on the Hide make some errors that were really unacceptable. I have had each one do work for me on different projects after those errors and the work was spot on. What I at getting at is everyone makes mistakes what really matters is how they handle them.

I have had similar a similar experience over the past couple years. I've yet to receive a barrel both ON TIME and IN SPEC. Always one or the other or neither.

I have purchased a lathe and I'm currently learning to chamber my own barrels. Things will still be overdue and out of spec but at least it will be my own fault :LOL:

Like Super said, everyone is just going to recommend their buddy or someone they have had good luck with, but that doesn't mean they will do good work for you.

Dave Tooley

I know I'm repeating, but Dave Tooley and Chad of LRI are the answer to the question.

I’ve used Phoenix Custom Rifles for two full builds and smaller work and West Texas Ordnance for a Switchlug build with two barrels and a third barrel a year later. On the third barrel the cut the action threads too large. A quick phone call and week later the barrel was back with the correct threads. I’d use either one of them again. Like said above mistakes happen but a good smith will take care of it in a hurry.

Reactions: Changed
    If your running Impact actions, why not use Impact by stuttesville barrels?
    Maybe you have?

We have used them with good luck.

Unfortunately they do not have the reamer I need for the latest project.

I mainly shoot NRA F Class but I have used Matthew Stewart for years and he has built me 3 rifles (1 tactical and 2 F class builds) and done a great job on all of them. I have also had him chamber several barrels and I have one with him now awaiting on a new reamer in 6.5x47. Matthew is a former student of Robert Gradous and Matthew also used to work as a machinist for Surgeon Actions for many years running 3-4-5 axis CNC machines. He is a super nice man to deal with, very pleasant and knowledgeable.

Another one that I trust mostly for BAT action barrels is Tim Claunch in Memphis. Tim is the developer of the TAC40 round (named after him). He builds a lot of F Class and benchers barrels. Jeff Conover is another popular choice as is Dana English in the Benchrest world. Also I would trust Joe Walls at OTM/Exodus Rifles in Florida. Joe is a great tactical shooter and good gunsmith too for turning barrels.

It's hard for me to not use Deep South Tactical or Altus for barrels, especially prefits. Turnaround times are great, they keep blanks in stock, and their machining is top notch. Not the cheapest, but a few extra bucks to save me the hassle of ordering blanks or waiting several months is worth it to me.

Weber Customs - Rod Weber

A one man show who has OCD almost as bad as I do...LOL!!

Last edited:
    Bugholes, Area 419, Proof Research, Dave Tooley... Lots of good options out there.

If you shoot enough, a lathe pays for itself sooner than you might think, too... depending on how far you go down the rabbit hole of tooling.... :)

My go to guy is Travis Stevens, his work has always been exceptional for me, with good turn around times.

I don't do any benchrest or F-class shooting, I'm not sure how many of those guns Travis has built, but the barrels he chambers for me have been phenomenal. I know Alex Wheeler is a well thought of gunsmith for those disciplines, never had work done by him myself, but I think he's super busy.

If it was me, I would send it to TS Customs. They do a lot of work with Impacts.

Travis came highly recommend buy Impact Percision Actoin. Had him build one last December I have no complaints or regrets best rifle I have ever had . Goi g to have him do another this winter number one in my book .

Reactions: Moose
    I use Dave Tooley for all my stuff anymore. Great guy. I also like APA. they Are great to deal with also.

i Have tried many Smiths here and ones people always brag how great they are I have had issues with.
    One took three months to open up my scope base and holes on a Remington 700 and he swore two week turn around or less. He probably doesn’t remember it by now. But everytime I hear best turn around it makes me laugh. I’m sure his practices have changed . One day I may try to see if it really true how great he is now.

Reactions: Dpp
    I’m fortunate to have a good smith/builder local to me. Meredith Rifles in Athens, AL. He’s a small shop and works alone with his guard dogs. I’ve only had one barreled action done, but he came highly recommended and has built some highly competitive match rifles for multiple disciplines. At the current time he isn’t making pre-fits just yet, but just received 2 new machines to start offering them in the near future.

FWIW I went to him because all of the other local smiths/builders seem to regard him as the best around. Price seemed fair for what I had done (barrel blank chamber/thread/crown and blended muzzle brake) and the work was completed within 3 weeks (year 2020). He worked closely with me and took the time to document exactly what I wanted done. Even took the time to help me troubleshoot something that wasn’t part of the work performed. Stand up dude, excellent work, and I have no reason not to go back to him for future projects.

John Kurowicki, Amarillo, TX

He can build whatever you want. Wait time is short and cost is reasonable.

PM me and I’ll send you his phone number

There are some great smiths listed here, and many of them even take time to help out and answer questions posted here.

But finding a great smith with good communication and consistently short lead times is a bit like looking for a unicorn.

I suggest either buying several custom barrels at a time and swapping them yourself or looking at an AI, Barrett Mrad, DTA.

DMR Las Vegas is the most reliable I and a friend have used - my friend uses him exclusively. But don't think he is willing to do pre-fits yet.

Alex Wheeler, Dave Tooley

I have Alex do my full builds. I consider both to be at the top of the heap. Dave does more in the tactical/practical precision niche so that’s who I would recommend for your purpose. Alex primary does Longrange Benchrest smithing

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dpp
    My go to guy is Travis Stevens, his work has always been exceptional for me, with good turn around times.

I don't do any benchrest or F-class shooting, I'm not sure how many of those guns Travis has built, but the barrels he chambers for me have been phenomenal. I know Alex Wheeler is a well thought of gunsmith for those disciplines, never had work done by him myself, but I think he's super busy.

If it was me, I would send it to TS Customs. They do a lot of work with Impacts.
    Same here. My last 3 barrels have come from him. He picks up the phone, answers emails, charges fairly, is consistent, and does excellent work. All my work goes to him now.

Reactions: Secant and kthomas
    I have one built by William Roscoe and one built by Phoenix Custom Rifles. Both are very accurate. Fit and finish are excellent also. I wouldn't hesitate to have either build another.