• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunwerks New Action

Leatherlunger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
Was looking at Gunwerks site today and they have an interesting new action. Its called the NXT and is in their new Nexus rifles. Looks like its a proprietary footprint, but very interesting design.

I am not affiliated with Gunwerks but took a two day class from them about 11 years ago and have always enjoyed their commitment to innovation.

Reactions: Ledzep
Hard to tell but it looks like it may be a 60 degree 6 lug? The slip fit barrel extension and clamp design is pretty slick👍Id love to see @lowlight be able to check one out. Do the DTA, Sig Cross and Q Fix slip fit/clamp the extension the same way? Never seen one in person.

Proprietary foot print limits options for any “customizing”. I would wait for accuracy and range reports with that “slip fit” barrel to receiver design. Seems like a it could be prone to movement under stresses of recoil, temperature changes, torque variation, etc.

Cool idea for “prefit” barrel capability for the end user. Not sure about the design effectiveness for bolt gun accuracy expectations. Time will tell.

Id say the Gunwerks boys probably spent some time figuring this one out as different as it is. Looking forward to some in depth reviews on the accuracy and design!

Another interesting note from the video was Aaron was talking about the nexus rifle being made totally in house. I dont remember which podcast he mentioned it in, but Aaron was talking about how he acquired an employee who use to rifle barrels at an un named big name barrel shop. It was probably on the GW podcast. This may be the beginning of GW rifled barrels as well😳

Looks interesting. The full length ARCA rail looks well integrated, but I would love to see it in person. I will be interested to see if a non-gunwerks manufacture starts making pre-fits for them. Proof doesn’t offer prefits for the other GW actions, so I don’t think they would jump on this action either.

New ideas, potentially pushing whats possible/normal forward a little bit is always cool.

Joseph VonBenedict just did a episode about this on his Backcountry Hunting podcast. It sounds very promising, exceptional accuracy as one would expect. Worth a listen.

Reactions: Leatherlunger
Very cool. Always excellent to see so much innovation going into bolt action rifles. I'd never be able to afford a GW rifle, but they sure do look pretty.

Lots of Blaser influence with the inlays on the stock. Def geared toward the high end hunter. I bet the rifles are 7-8k. Will prob never sell enough to cover the R&D costs. Gunwerks makes some cool stuff, but F me, it's out of the price leage for 99% of shooters.

Reactions: Bender
Lots of Blaser influence with the inlays on the stock. Def geared toward the high end hunter. I bet the rifles are 7-8k. Will prob never sell enough to cover the R&D costs. Gunwerks makes some cool stuff, but F me, it's out of the price leage for 99% of shooters.

$5,400 for just the rifle, expensive but in the realm of a light weight hunting rifle using premium parts and built by a reputable smith.

Just look at it this way based on the below parts

$1,755 - Defiance with 3 position safety and trigger tech trigger
$315 - Hawkins Hunter Bottom Metal and mag
$1,100 - CF Barrel Threaded and chambered
$1,100 - Manners LRH

That’s $4,270 without any extra cost for the smith which would probably be 20% or more and puts you at a minimum of $5,124.

It is in fact the most affordable rifle GW has produced. Pair that with their customer support that comes with each rifle and it is actually a great deal IMHO... that being said I don't forsee one in my immediate future, too far down the priority list.
Still not sure how I feel about the leather inlays, kind of cool. I guess GW even said they knew it would be a feature that made people either love or hate the rifle and would deffinitley decrease sales a bit, and they are already seeing it.

Reactions: APH
Another interesting note from the video was Aaron was talking about the nexus rifle being made totally in house. I dont remember which podcast he mentioned it in, but Aaron was talking about how he acquired an employee who use to rifle barrels at an un named big name barrel shop. It was probably on the GW podcast. This may be the beginning of GW rifled barrels as well😳

Looks like they’ll be making “cut” carbon fiber barrels in house. New action seems like an anorexic Desert Tech, I like it.

^^^
Anyone know which other barrel manufacturers hone, their barrels? I thought honing was in place of, not in addition to-lapping but he mentioned both processes.
Above my pay grade, but from what I've gleaned online honing is capable of much more precision/consistency, to a few millionths on a barrel.

GW rifles or stocks have never appealed to me, regardless of their price but especially with their price. THIS rifle changes that, again, regardless of its price and but especially with its price. Looks really slick, well thought out and executed, and functional. Color me a fan. Well done, GW.

I have attended several of their classes.. have now shot literally hundreds of rounds through their rifles. I has my doubts for along time. Like many on here, I questioned spending that kind of money for their rifles. Have since purchased others and built several of my own.. Their price is NOT that out of line especially when considering the M&R put into their product. Its one hell of a system that truly works..

Reactions: mrmarklin
The class I took was in 2011. 4 of my buddies bought GW systems at the same time and i got to tag along and shoot training guns they brought. Super positive expieriance and Aaron and Mike were the instructors in those days. Cant say enough positive things about those boys and the passion they have for what they do.

Idk if I'll end up buying one but this action really intrigues me. I'd love to feel one at some point.

Never thought id want anything more than my AI. This would be a bitchin hunting rig. Looking forward to seeing somebody review one.

Im not seeing anything "new", however the order of them putting them into one package is good.

Purely a hunting setup, which is nice.

I think they have done well. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the future products.

Im not seeing anything "new", however the order of them putting them into one package is good.
Agreed, this is actually old technology. But I think if done correctly an aluminum action with a split collar style clamp for the barrel extension is a great way to go about a quick change barrel / caliber, while creating a very precise yet light weight system. After owing several Sig SSG3000, Sauer STR, and DTA rifles I have no doubt this action will be as good as anything out there.

Something new I see is GW manufacturing EVERYTHING (barrels too) in house. To me, that seems like a pretty bold endeavor. Its been fun to watch them keep pushing their business forward over the years.

Something new I see is GW manufacturing EVERYTHING (barrels too) in house. To me, that seems like a pretty bold endeavor. Its been fun to watch them keep pushing their business forward over the years.
Big financial backing on extra machinery, keeping all production in house, way less overhead on components, less wait time, more guns out the door at higher profit %. Dont surprise me at all. Gunwerks pretty set on thay profit thing.

with a "2 piece" action lug (clamp for extension) i wonder if both sides sit against the stock/chassis exactly the same every time

we bed the action and lug for a perfect 100% contact fit, once you start tightening things especially with 2 screws, parts start to wonder

its hunting not a BR action so it might not matter

does seem pretty cool though

like the color as well

Listening to their podcast talking about the design, they talked pretty extensively about the extension/receiver interface, but i cant remember the details. They made it sound like they went through a lot of prototypes just to get that one area the way they wanted

with a "2 piece" action lug (clamp for extension) i wonder if both sides sit against the stock/chassis exactly the same every time

we bed the action and lug for a perfect 100% contact fit, once you start tightening things especially with 2 screws, parts start to wonder

its hunting not a BR action so it might not matter

does seem pretty cool though

like the color as well
That is a good point, the Sig and Sauer actions have the bottom of the action floating in the stock…

Listening to their podcast talking about the design, they talked pretty extensively about the extension/receiver interface, but i cant remember the details. They made it sound like they went through a lot of prototypes just to get that one area the way they wanted
ill try and check it out