• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunwerks New Rangefinder

So I have a BR4 that I have been playing with for a few days. I have been looking for something that has this form factor but will of course function well and quickly in all hunting conditions Which provides a quick accurate ballistic solution on screen.

More tha once have I been in a position where I could see a nice critter I wanted 300-500 years distant but because of fog, snow, rain or smoke I could only get the 30-40 yard readings from any of my 905 rf’s and would have to rely on my PLRF15 to get the range.

I liked my Sig 2400 ABS but the laser relationship to the overly large reticle and where it fit within the reticle @ 6 o’clock/the inability to cut through the snow etc/plus the round 1.3x1.3 beam being a problem in determining exactly what you are hitting; ie brush in front or berm behind etc.

I took my terrapin x to AK this last Fall and although it ranged great as per usual it would also struggle in heavy rain/fog and I had to use my Garmin watch for the solution. I was able to get it done but the complexity of multiple units to acquire range/solution was difficult.

I watched the videos of Gunwerks on the BR4 and the claims of the rf‘s ability to cut through snow, etc on the “far” setting, almost like setting a gate on the PLRF.

The flat laser configuration 0f .2x1.6 was also on my list for determining the correct range with competing surfaces.

Few things I have observed:

1) The beam seems to be perfectly aligned with the reticle in this particular unit.
2) I could distinguish between animals in close proximity as well as objects fore and aft and see that the I was hitting the correct target.
3) I ranged deer and horses between 70-1800yds off my rear deck in bright sunlight and out to 2300 in the shade.
4) 2 moa steel was easy out to 2000 plus in both bright and shady conditions.
5) Thankfully it snowed today and on the “far” target setting I easily ranged bushes, trees out to 900 yds. (the deer weren’t out at the time) - whereas on the “near” setting which I used almost exclusively in clear weather would give me a return of only 30-40 yds in the snowy conditions.
6) I have not tested the ballistic accuracy of there software, but it looks to be great so far on my 300N as compared to my Kestrel 5700AB, which has been trued and spot on. This was done with the BR4 “Base wind” @ 5mph direct crosswind and the kestrel set at 5mph for the second wind setting (pic only catches first wind at Zero. (The front cover is closed or the BR4 in the pic below)
7. If you need to get a second look at the solution after you are set for your shot, just press the firing once and the last range/ solution appears until you range again. Nice touch.

I also am waiting on the Sig 8K to come in, but at this point I believe I will keep the BR4 regardless. And oh yes , Lowlight is correct - it is lightning fast!

I like it.

5589B624-7AEF-4C71-B710-328E1E575D47.jpeg
8871E138-E796-47CA-9D68-5CB5A8CD4FFF.jpeg

@DetroitRearView Any update on this, still happy with the unit? I’m debating on the BR4 vs Kilo 8K, as it sounds like several others are too. I’ve read a concerning number of negative reports on the 8K with regards to cold temperature performance. Did you ever receive and test the 8K?

Thanks for any insight.

So I played with the sig kilo-8k abs and really was not as impressed as I thought I would be…the glass and 10x on the Revic was better.

Additionally, the Revic ranged objects both reflective and non reflective targets further and more consistently.

I sent the the Revic back last week and the sig is packaged to go back Monday.

The Vector 21 is staying with me…I don’t care if it is big or heavy and lacks an internal ballistic solution.

For me a dope card for a quick solution with the kestrel and other ballistic programs for the occasions where time is not a big issue.

The vector glass is amazing, ranging spectacular and I really like being able to range horizontal landmarks for the purposes of planning a stalk; as well as both the gating ability plus 3 distances because of atmospheric or physical barriers to the desired object to be ranged.

Reactions: DIBBS and StrayDog
So I played with the sig kilo-8k abs and really was not as impressed as I thought I would be…the glass and 10x on the Revic was better.

Additionally, the Revic ranged objects both reflective and non reflective targets further and more consistently.

The Vector 21 is staying with me…I don’t care if it is big or heavy and lacks an internal ballistic solution.

For me a dope card for a quick solution with the kestrel and other ballistic programs for the occasions where time is not a big issue.

The vector glass is amazing, ranging spectacular and I really like being able to range horizontal landmarks for the purposes of planning a stalk; as well as both the gating ability plus 3 distances because of atmospheric or physical barriers to the desired object to be ranged.
Amen. It will take something special to get me to dump my vector 23.

Reactions: DetroitRearView

What distance could you consistently range 2moa steel targets in bright day light with the BR4? I’m waiting on the kilo 10ks but after looking through a pair at a match last weekend I was disappointed in the glass so thinking about getting a refund and buy the br4.

What distance could you consistently range 2moa steel targets in bright day light with the BR4? I’m waiting on the kilo 10ks but after looking through a pair at a match last weekend I was disappointed in the glass so thinking about getting a refund and buy the br4.
1200-1500 yards, may have been able to do more but did all of this from my Deck. I had agreed to return them in new condition after trying them out and didn’t want to wander out too far with them. Impressive, but not an exhaustive test by any means.

1200-1500 yards, may have been able to do more but did all of this from my Deck. I had agreed to return them in new condition after trying them out and didn’t want to wander out too far with them. Impressive, but not an exhaustive test by any means.
With the Vectors posted in the PX, curious what LRF you're moving to @DetroitRearView?

I keep returning to the BR4 in my search to update my Leica 2700.

With the Vectors posted in the PX, curious what LRF you're moving to @DetroitRearView?

I keep returning to the BR4 in my search to update my Leica 2700.
After buying the Vector I ran into a few unexpected medical $$ all in the same 2 weeks. I don’t want to run the savings acct down too far so the fabulous Vector is for sale. Can’t really replace what it can do, phenomenal RF. I a have a Leica 2700B that will always stay in the stable Perhaps by this Fall just get another Vector when I replenish my funds. Really nothing like it.

My 2700b sometimes can't range smaller targets with berms behind them, usually @ 800-1200y.
I like the "near" option on the BR4 to get a good reading on the plate in the foreground vs the background berm/woods.
Sorry to hear about medical issues, I've been down that road with Chemo before, Godspeed!

Reactions: DetroitRearView