• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gw Zf4 Optic

mgrs

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
VA
Picked up a new scope but do not know much about these. Final price was not much higher than a reproduction scope mount set, so I thought it might be worth the chance.

It is DDX marked with s/n and would have to be pretty cleverly aged if a fake. Looking at the macro photo, the markings almost appear to be engraved vice stamped, which is interesting.

Optics are a just a bit warm or "washed" but clear and not foggy. About like the couple PUs I have had. Reticle is typical german style with a blunt post. Slightly grayed/faded in appearance. Turret clicks are nice and tight, but I have no idea if adjustments work.

99% chance I think that the mount is a reproduction, along with the bands. It won't slide more than 1/2 way on to my G43's scope rail.

IMG_1361.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG

Reactions: Guthwine
Very clean looking scope and mount. The "ddx" is for Voighlander, which was the primary scope maker of the ZF 4.
The mount is most likely a repro, as the metal should look more porous (the Germans were recycling any metal they could get their hands on) and not so smoothly machined. The "214" is stamped in the correct spot. Sometimes a electropencil serial number is written on the other end.
As to not fitting, that sometimes occurs. I have a K43 that would not take a repro nor an original mount. I can only assume that at the end of the war (which is when these rifles came out) did not have the high quality standards as earlier German production.

Thanks; I am almost certain the mount is a reproduction. I suppose the silver lining is that I will not feel bad fitting it to the rail.

I found this web site about the Zf4 scopes that has some decent information. It also mentioned the engraved markings that Voighlander used.

Next step will be getting the G43 up and running. It was a neglected gun that cleaned up nicely with little to no 'shooting damage' but did have a cracked flapper lug that needs to be repaired. I will also pull the varnish off the stock at some point.

IMG_1359.JPG

• Love
Reactions: aam
As far as I know scopes of the time they did not have moving erector systems and instead moved the reticle. So you should clearly see the reticle moving inside the picture to check the function of the adjustments.

See here:

From this source:

I can't see it moving; not like a PU or something else from the era anyway. Will have to pull the turret caps and see what is going on without getting too aggressive. Clicks feel great and markings line up, but that does not mean much.

EDIT: removing the caps and moving the zero screws did it. They were bottomed out and ‘stuck’ so that the clicks did not move anything. Resetting the reticle to more or less the right part of the adjustment range using the zero screw allowed the clicks to move it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guthwine