• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gyms Are Loud You say?

That's not really true, it is a cheap gym. Yes the atmosphere is gay but fuck it for $10 a month vs. $60 or $70....I'll deal with it. I'm not trying to lift heavy anymore anyway my joints are fucked enough.
Maybe it's different by you.

Around here the place is slammed for the first three weeks in January, then tapers off the rest of the year. The line on "Bagel Sunday" and "Pizza Monday" gives off Golden Corral vibes too.

You have three distinct groups... the geriatrics, the slobs and the poors.

If you go to planet fitness at 5:30am it's not too bad. That's when you'll find the most serious guys that are pinching pennies. Go during your lunch break and you'll run into the geriatrics. Not a bad bunch. In the evenings, the sloppy folks come out. Mostly the recently divorced and/or gastric bypass crowd.

Any hotties walking around are probably jail bait.

Trainers are a little limp wristed.

Sketchy homeless types get a membership to shower there.

IMO, not worth it.

Reactions: Dot3
Maybe it's different by you.

Around here the place is slammed for the first three weeks in January, then tapers off the rest of the year. The line on "Bagel Sunday" and "Pizza Monday" gives off Golden Corral vibes too.

You have three distinct groups... the geriatrics, the slobs and the poors.

If you go to planet fitness at 5:30am it's not too bad. That's when you'll find the most serious guys that are pinching pennies. Go during your lunch break and you'll run into the geriatrics. Not a bad bunch. In the evenings, the sloppy folks come out. Mostly the recently divorced and/or gastric bypass crowd.

Any hotties walking around are probably jail bait.

Trainers are a little limp wristed.

Sketchy homeless types get a membership to shower there.

IMO, not worth it.

I have to go early before work, once in awhile I go on lunch break but usually there are quite a bit more fit people there than unfit. The atmosphere isn't great for lifting hard, actually kind of a drag but my goals are different now (good set of ear buds helps).

Haha, definitely true on the jailbait comment. I like the showers though, always clean and good pressure/temp. YMCA is worse for geriatrics that like to prop their leg up and show the world their balls that sag to their ankles.

Yankee has it right, home gym is the way to go. I just don't have the space or I would.

There are goods and bads about having a home gym. Ours is pretty well stocked, about 750 sqft, and basically has all the normal stuff plus shit that I've needed to rehab or train around various injuries. Sounds great, and it is. The downside, of course, is that my wife is 115 lbs, and while she is strong as shit for her size, she isn't great at doing hand offs on the bench, or spotting on some lifts. So you work around it, which is fine, but you do give up something by not having other lifters similar to yourself around.

Regarding Planet F, the one I predominantly go to is fairly large. The only thing I wish it had was squat, bench racks and Olympic bars free to use. The smith machines are annoying but do have benefits. You can push to failure with out a spotter as all you have to do is twist the bar to hit a catch. You can also start deadlifts from the catch and do the negative part of the lift first. Mirrors all over so you can keep an eye on your forum.