• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H&K M110a1 Clone or Semi Clonish Build Question

BiggBeans

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Kansas
Has anyone here tried building a clone or semi clone of the H&K m110a1? I dont think the handguards are available to the civilian market. But has anyone come up with anything else that is similair? Post pics if you have one.

You have asked one of the hardest questions, both to answer and to build. I used to think the SR25 based M110 was the hardest rifle to clone or build a military correct rifle. But, when you cross to HK, you are in an alternative universe.

HK does not export much, and what they do, the German government restricts. The US does not allow much in terms of imports, and what they do, they restrict. HOW IS THAT FOR A START ?

No, add to the fact that HK cloners are extremely picky. Most military clone enthusiasts would be happy with an MR556 as a host, and adapt the look. Most HK cloners want to replace the BCG to an HK 416. The cost to make each incremental change is large. VERY LARGE, and very hard to find.

Now, add in Regulation 922(r), which basically tells you that a semi-automatic rifle has to be made of greater than 50% US made parts (I am paraphrasing).

Once you embark upon this journey, you will spend dozens of hours learning, then making connections, then finding that one special part, and most HK416/417 M110A and CAG rifle builders find a network of people with various small parts and take two years in building, and might end up hiring a barrel smith to make a barrel, and will have spent six figures and will have a rifle they will hand down to their grandchildren.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
I am in the process of a 416D Clone.
I have the upper, HK Rail and barrel with an HK Charging Handle and Colt modified BCG.
A new genuine HK BCG in the mail, trade for one of my kidneys’.
I have a properly marked BRN Lower that I traded my other kidney for coming from an HK Pro member.
Now I am taking inventory of all the HK lower parts I have purchased over the last year or so and will assemble with a Geissele HK trigger.
I do own an HK MR556.
Would I do it again?
Do i really need a M110A1?
Biggest problem would be the lower I think.
As other have said it’s journey.
For now I will stick with my SR25 ordered at the start of the Afghan War with a space for the Military designation(Vero Beach).
Except for the MK12 MOD II markings it’s identical with the correct 3-9 Leupold and KAC rings and mags.
AS others have said, head over to HK Pro!
Good luck in your quest!
-Richard