• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H.O.G./ P.I.G. comparison

Triad

Old Dude
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2003
KC
www.triadtactical.com
We recently got in our first order of HOG & PIG Saddles from Shadowtech. Joshua (owner) was kind enough to come visit the shop last week and give me the rundown on the products. First take-away is that I need to upgrade my inventory of tripods, second is that the PIG is a no-brainer for me.....

https://www.triadtactical.com/PIG-Saddle.html
https://www.triadtactical.com/HOG-Saddle.html

Here are some photos:
IMG_0210.jpgIMG_0212.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0214.jpg

PIG in tan, HOG in black.

Weight on my scale:
HOG 16oz (aluminum)
PIG 21oz (steel)

The PIG has a slightly narrower footprint, but opens wider.

Jaw widths:

HOG from 1 1/2" to 2 5/8"
PIG from 1 3/8" to 3 1/4"
(note: past 2 1/2" out to 3 1/4" the jaw spring is no longer under tension)

Obvious difference between CNC aluminum and steel construction. Trade offs in weight and cost. Poly tension knob on PIG is another difference.

I tried the PIG out first. I had my Rem Mod 7 handy and was wondering about the PIG being able to clamp onto the tapered forend. The pads allowed the jaws to grip at the fattest part between the barrel and action, and still have enough friction on the tapered part of the forend to keep the rifle held in place. I tried moving the PIG forward, PIG held-SLIK tripod did not..... To get the tripod to keep up with the PIG, I had to widen the SLIK out to "medium". Not a big deal, but in the standing position the footprint gets huge and I loose a lot of available height. See previous post, I need a better tripod.
IMG_0206.jpgIMG_0204.jpg

Great pics, thanks for the comparison. I've got a PIG coming any day now, cant wait. I've shot off a HOG, a PRS, and a Spec rest at various schools and in training and in my opinion, the HOG/PIG is the most versatile platform.

The PIG I just got made me want to swap out my medium size Slik for a better tripod as well. The rifle I tried it with first weighed about 13-14 pounds, I swapped stocks and it is between 11-12 now and works better with the medium Slik but I believe whenever I can afford it I will make the switch to something a little more stout. I might try the HD large size that Danel at PRS now sells.

Last edited:
I tried out a PIG yesterday. I was in a ground blind with my crossbow lodged in the PIG. No deer, but having the PIG was an obvious addition to the hunt.

The PIG I just got made me want to swap out my medium size Slik for a better tripod as well. The rifle I tried it with first weighed about 13-14 pounds, I swapped stocks and it is between 11-12 now and works better with the medium Slik but I believe whenever I can afford it I will make the switch to something a little more stout. I might try the HD large size that Danel at PRS now sells.

I went to a beefier tripod after getting a PIG as the SLIK didn't seem up to the job. I posted a few links in other threads on getting smart on the tripods out there and picking one up on ebay for about half the price you can get them anywhere else. You can get a Boogen/Manfrotto 190/055 (3001/3221 old model numbers) tripod for about the same price as the HD large if you keep an eye out.

Im really happy to see that shadowtech was able to cost reduce this idea to be extremely more marketable. Great job.

I also find it entertaining that the never ending pig/hog joke is still very much alive. hahahaha.

Good things all around.

Bogen 190XV is the best tripod i've used for shooting. Solid even with a 338 DTA on it.

Last edited: