• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

H-S Precision M24 Stock

Skeld1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Maine
What is the general opinion of this stock? I was looking at the B & C M40 but those seem to be really hard to find in stock anywhere. This stock appears to be available in a few different finishes. I'm mostly looking for something that will ensure the barrel is free-floated on the bipod unlike the Hogue that came on my rifle. Will this stock do that? Does this stock need to be bedded or would it still be an improvement over the Hogue without being bedded?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-374/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-2000/Detail

Re: H-S Precision M24 Stock

I think the stock in your link is not particularly the actual M24 stock, but the stock that comes with the 700P. It is a good stock, not too heavy and pretty sturdy, and most certainly will not bend like the flimsy Houge stock. Some people, myself included, do not like the palm swell on them because they seem a little too fat or wide. They do have a aluminum bedding block in them that fits to the action when it is tightened down, but I suggest you get it skim bedded anyways for best accuracy. If you have some extra money that you can put into a quality stock, then I suggest either a AICS or a Manners with a mini chassis. Both are very nice stocks, have aluminum bedding blocks and will most likely not need to be upgraded for a long while, they can be pricey though. Just about anything is better than the stock Houge really. Good luck.

IMO it is a definite upgrade to the Hogue. I have both and the HS will not flex when using a bipod. Mine are not bedded in the traditional sense, HS comes with aluminum bedding blocks. HS has been gtg on my rifles, just torque it down good.

Bump for what YN*Dotte said too.

Without being bedded, the HS will be an improvement in rigidity over the Hogue. Bedded, it should make an improvement in rigidity and consistency over the Hogue.

The barrel profile is factory, yes? If so, then it should have ample clearance. With large amounts of forend pressure I have had HS stocks flex and contact the barrel on some very heavy profiles, but that was partially due to a shoddy bedding job from another "smith" I was fixing.

I'm a big fan of HS stocks. Both of my custom builds use the stock you're looking at (one SA and one LA).

The M24 stock has an adjustable length of pull, but other than that they are the same as the LA version.

I'd strongly recommend handling one first. The grip on the HS is a bit thicker than the B&C medalist stocks with a traditional stock contour (not vertical).

I have used a few hs stocks and the M24 stock is the one that i prefered. They are great stocks. It will benifit you to bed it.
I would try and find a store near you that sells a rem 700 pss or a 5r milspec and handle it or find some one close by. But it will save you time through trial and error. It took me 4 stocks to find the one that fit me best. You can find some good deals in the acessories section. The only thing i dont like about them is sometimes the action sits canted in the stock. Hs has been known to drill the action screw holes off center. That is the only complaint i have with hs stocks.
good luck

Thanks guys. So the M24 one is technically the one that has the adjustable length of pull, but the stock I have linked is the same other than that correct?

As far as going up to an AICS or Manners etc, I'm definitely also interested in an XLR but I just spent a lot of money (for me) starting from scratch to build this gun and I don't think the boss is going to go along with buying that for $700 or $800 right now! Maybe next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeld1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. So the M24 one is technically the one that has the adjustable length of pull, but the stock I have linked is the same other than that correct?

As far as going up to an AICS or Manners etc, I'm definitely also interested in an XLR but I just spent a lot of money (for me) starting from scratch to build this gun and I don't think the boss is going to go along with buying that for $700 or $800 right now! Maybe next year. </div></div>

Aside from the Adj. LOP, they are the same. The XLR chassis's are awesome BTW, very adjustable and ergonomic.