• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H-S Precision stocks - to bed or not???

jd138

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I searched high and low for some educated opinions and have yet to find any so I humbly throw this to the group.

I recently ordered a H-S Precision PST081 and I am going over in my head if I will need to eventually have it skim bedded. They come with aluminium bedding blocks thus the question. Obviously I will need to see how it shoots before any final decision will be made; however, out of curiosity, how many here have bedded theirs? I know it is pretty much split on AI chassis, but this has me stumped.

The stock is going on a SPS tactical (20" barrel) with a factory trigger. I shoot handloads in 150, 155, and 168 grains. I primarily shoot from 100, 200, and 300 meters but eventually want to try my hand at F T/R with this rifle. The F T/R matches in my area are 600 and 1000 yard prone, slow fire.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom,
Jim

Re: H-S Precision stocks - to bed or not???

HS Precision will tell you not to bed it, but what do they know. My HTR and issued M24 both seem to shoot very well without the benefit of skim bedding. I don't think you will hurt anything by skim bedding it though. You should do a before and after and see if there is a noticable difference. I would be interested to see the results.

Thanks guys.
Driftwood - If I do go with a skim bed, I will definitely follow up with before/after results.

I had a 700 "Sendero" in 300WM skim bedded a few years back. I didn't see any noticable difference. It shot great before and it shot great after. I haven't bothered to skim bed any of the other rifles I have owned with HSP stocks. I know several well respected gunsmiths that say it does make a difference. I look forward to reading about your experience.

Shoot it, and if it puts them in the same hole, leave it alone... If it has issues:

Put a dial gauge on it, if it deflects under 0.002" I would not bed it. You can also take a dremel and clean out the extra 'bed liner' material if it is present on the AL contact points. You can also paint brush a light coat of thin oil under the receiver and torque, then remove and make sure the contact points are correct. If the stock is 'off', you could take 0.040" or so off the blocks and then bed it.

mine is skim bedded. worked out good for me.

Skim bedding for me has made a big difference, I just did two pads (recoil lug area and rear tang), didn't bed in between down the sides. Noticeable increase in accuracy and consistency, not a big job either.

Skim bed it. I'm with Driftwood I'd like to see the results between the two.

I bedded mine and especially the rather large hole that the recoil lug sits in. That needed attention and I went for the rear tang and the first 1.5 inches of the barrel channel in front of the recoil lug. I don't know if it shoots better since i did it prior to ever shooting, but the barreled action fits very solid now and snugs down with precision in stead of slop and relying on screws to hold solid.

I have had several HS Precision stocks. I had the recoil lug bedded in one, I had one skim bedded and one without any bedding. These were all Remington short action receivers. There was not any noticeable difference in the first two rifles before or after bedding so I did not bed the third.

I have a BC medalist with an aluminum block. I did not Bed it. It shoots .4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds and the duracoat on the bottom of the action shows even wear on both sides. I do not see the need to bed mine, but like others have said, i would guess it wouldnt hurt if you did it correctly.

Many different points of view here, thank you for all of your thoughts. Great article link as well.

I had the nasty privilege of shooting with the Hogue rubber stock today (sold my medalist, waiting on the H-S Precision). I was drilling them at 100 yards but then went to 600 and couldn't find the paper.

Anyway, like mentioned, I will give it a shot first with no bedding and then do some checking on the contact points.

Thanks SH