• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H1000 vs IMR4831 powder

Fellix

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2013
Just some quick background info I'm shooting a 300 win mag out of a Remington 700 with a 26 inch barrel in an aics chassis with a trijicon tr 23 scope.

So I've reloaded ammo for awhile and I've just started getting into long range shooting and I wanted to start working with the best ammo that I could and so I picked a bullet that I wanted to work with (originally chose the 210 grain accubond long range but it's been out of stock for at least 4 months) so I chose the 180 grain accubond and had another problem the H1000 powder seems to be out of stock everywhere as well.

So I was wondering if the IMR 4831 would be better or just as good (it's in stock), it says in the book data that it's full load has about fps faster muzzle velocity but the book also says that the H1000 was more accurate.

I'm not sure whether I should wait for H1000 to come back in Stock or whether I should go ahead and pick up the IMR 4831 since I could be waiting awhile and it might be better since it's faster.

I would say that there are a few more powders that you could consider that are very close to the burn rate of H1000:

- Retumbo
- N170
- Reloader 19 (this is a preferred powder for 7 mag and 300 win mag)

Personally I get the best results with H1000 and Retumbo out of my 7 rem mag, but as a disclaimer I have never tried 4831 in anything other than my 260 Rem.

Also I take it you are pretty set on the Accubonds? When I shot 300 WM I always used the Hornady 208s and there Berger 200 Match Hybrid and 210 Match LR BT Target loads. At first I didn't think I needed over 180 gr, but started to see better performance out of the heavier loads when I stepped beyond 700-800 yards.

Last edited:
Well I was just set on them because of the versatility in that they could be used as a hunting round and a good paper punching round, I really did want to get a 210 grain bullet but the accubond long range 210 was the only one I saw that had a high enough BC to justify the extra weight. Besides that the only real difference besides a few extra inches drop was that they both act fairly similar out to 1000 yards on paper with the exception being the 210 grain has about 4/3rds power compared to the 180 grain.
I'm not dead set on a bullet really, but I already bought about 200 180 grain accubond bullets.

But I'm going to go look into those powders now. But I'd still be interested in knowing the difference in the H1000 and IMR4831 and if the IMR4831 is a good choice for long range shots.

Hmm so you wouldn't happen to know where to buy any H1000?

IMO, H1000 performed like shit for my winmag. I have a 26in Krieger on it, and used both the Berger 210 VLDs and 208 Amax. H1000 gave me the worst grouping and velocity compared to Reloader 22 and Hodgdon 4831SC. I still have a few lbs of H1000 sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Id rock that IMR 4831 without hesitation. If you can find the H4831 or H4831SC then get it….its more temp stable and meters better.

IMR 4831 is a great powder in a 300 WM, I have used it with great results. You can really amp your loads up with this because you have about 7 grains less to produce the same velocity as the H1000.. So when you are at full case capacity with H1000, you still have 7 grains to play with with IMR4831 till you fill the case.

Yes I load past stated max load information and I make no excuses for it. I can get 3,300 fps out of 190's without excessive pressure signs.

IMR4831 is also the perfect powder in my match 30-06's shooting 230 grain hybrids. I would be absolutely crushed if I could not find this powder anymore....

Felix, if you are in SE Michigan, I'll sell you a lb of both imr4831 and H1000 to try out.

I echo the remark made prior concerning imr7828ssc, which works awesome in 300wm and has generally been super available over the last year or so.

All I have shot is 4831 in my 300 and works really well but it's a little temp sensitive I believe

Been fighting the H1000 battle myself. Check 4831, Pro 4000MR for 180 grains, they both seem to be easier to obtain. Over 180 I'd say RE22 (I'm loading 208BTHP over RE22).

Well it sounds like many of you have had good results with 4831 in 180 grains and there are some better options for higher grains. So since I can actually get IMR 4831 I think I'll go with that. But I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it's temperature sensitive, does it mean it overheats the barrel or that it might not go off etc etc

Hi Felix, it just means that temperature sensitive powder have different velocities at different temperatures. The Hodgdon "Extreme" powders are coated, making them less temperature sensitive. So, for example in the winter your velocity will be slower than the summer months. Or if you are shooting in the winter, and you have our ammo on the dash with the heater going, your velocity will be higher and your pressure will be higher at the higher temperatures.

If the IMR4831 is the only powder you can get your hands on, don't talk like its a disappointment. H1000 is a great powder, but your not loosing in anyway if your rifle/barrel combo loves the 4831. In some cases the higher the load density the more accuracy you will see. That's where the H1000 comes in. Even just slightly approaching 70gr. with this powder, you will experience a compressed load. This load density is positive for accuracy a lot of times. Just see what your gun likes when you have time and components. Right now, focus on the IMR4831. Start with 65-66gr powder, work up .4gr until you reach 73gr. The load density will be at 95% here. If still no pressure signs keep working up .4gr, if you want more velocity. You should easily get 3,150fps with 73gr. of IMR4831. In the future, if you plan to shoot this same grain bullet, as stated earlier, take a look at RL22. It's a super accurate powder with that size projectile. If you ever get your hands on the Accubond 210gr. bullet, try, 64.5 of IMR4831, and work up .3gr from there. If spelling sucks, sorry, typed this in 2min. before leaving for work. Hope it helps some.

Last edited:
Do not worry about temperature sensitivity with IMR4350. It will perform the same as H4350 Hodgdon Extreme line. Some people just feel the Extreme line is less likely to be effected by temperature, "because it was marketed that way". Only a comparison test will tell.
Well it sounds like many of you have had good results with 4831 in 180 grains and there are some better options for higher grains. So since I can actually get IMR 4831 I think I'll go with that. But I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it's temperature sensitive, does it mean it overheats the barrel or that it might not go off etc etc

I'll definitely try and experiment and I'll definitely make sure to slowly increment the loads since I could definitely push out a bit more velocity. All this information has been great

Glad I could help some. I may be a few days old here, but I've been reloading and involved in shooting for over 22yrs. After speaking to you earlier regarding the 210gr. bullet, it made me think of two loads I played with in the military. Try, Hybrid 100V and Winchester Suprm780. It will be hard to beat these within good pressure limits. Work up to 73gr. with the Suprm780 and 64gr. with the Hybrid 100V. If all pressure signs are great then increase .4-.5gr in increments from there. These two perform real similar to Power Pro 4000MR. I just have no experience with/when the Power Pro reaches max. pressure.
I'll definitely try and experiment and I'll definitely make sure to slowly increment the loads since I could definitely push out a bit more velocity. All this information has been great