• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ha ha, small pistol primers, hahaha

JustBC

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
When was the last time someone saw them in stock? I know we are seeing shortages because of current events. I see people paying $.18 each on Gunbroker for WSP or CCI. That is more than loaded ammo (if you could get it, which you can at Targetsports) Has anyone seen SP primers recently at your LGS? They are out of stock on all the usual places, Graf's, PV, Mod South etc..

I bought 2 boxes and 14 loose packs (3400 total) for a friend who reloads pistols as he was outta town. Other than that I haven’t really looked. I did have to switch from CCI BR4’s to federal 205M since the CCI’s are outta stock literally everywhere

Yeah, I was able to find BR2s, 215Ms but no BR4 or SPP. There ARE some SPP is in stock at Scheels but they will not ship em. I'm thinking that is why they are in stock.

I found a 1k box of Federal small pistol magnums hidden behind some shotshell primers at my LGS. Pretty good score.

Other than that, no lol. Gone everywhere. If I was hurting more for them, I'd drive to Indiana Scheels and pick up a big order.

It seems it’s just the small primers too. I never went through a primer shortage before, how long does it take for them to come back around? On a side note I’ve learned to buy rifle powder in 16lb increments. Maybe I should buy primers by the 10k from now on.

Reactions: avastcosmicarena
When was the last time someone saw them in stock? I know we are seeing shortages because of current events. I see people paying $.18 each on Gunbroker for WSP or CCI. That is more than loaded ammo (if you could get it, which you can at Targetsports) Has anyone seen SP primers recently at your LGS? They are out of stock on all the usual places, Graf's, PV, Mod South etc..
I walked into the Cabelas in Boise last week and just for giggles went to the knife/powder counter and asked id they had any small pistol primers. much to my surprise, she said they had just got some in and pulled out two boxes. I said I'll take em and was told that I could only get one. I chuckled and said, ok, he'll have one too.
Walked out with 2k. Very good day.

Reactions: JustBC
It seems it’s just the small primers too. I never went through a primer shortage before, how long does it take for them to come back around? On a side note I’ve learned to buy rifle powder in 16lb increments. Maybe I should buy primers by the 10k from now on.
This is certainly nothing compared to 2013. That was a bad time for components. It took a long time to recover. With that said... No one knows. Even manufacturers are having a hard time getting primers.

Lesson learned, buy a lot and buy with consistency. I have primers, bullets, and powder since 2008 that will easily weather a long component drought. I shoot approximately 40-50k year in pistol, for example.

I have some, but it never feels like enough in a drought.

I need some S&B srp, rumor is the plant exploded.

one would think after the last drought, that the manufacturers made a killing, and would have beefed up their ability, or at least came up with a plan for when bidness started to BOOM. one would think they’d do really well finacially.

I found a 1k box of Federal small pistol magnums hidden behind some shotshell primers at my LGS. Pretty good score.

Other than that, no lol. Gone everywhere. If I was hurting more for them, I'd drive to Indiana Scheels and pick up a big order.
There’s a Scheels in Indiana? What city? Thanks

one would think after the last drought, that the manufacturers made a killing, and would have beefed up their ability, or at least came up with a plan for when bidness started to BOOM. one would think they’d do really well finacially.

Sounds like a good way to go bankrupt during lul after everyone hoarded a million primers they didn't need.

Good thing I have about 13 - 14K of them squirreled away

LOL would you front them the capital on your risk?

That beefed up ability resulted in 170.00 per case 9mm ammo, and 250.00 45 acp. 223 ammo was pretty reasonable also. I am not privy to any wholesale pricing, but I think you are assuming it is the manufacturer who does the best in times like this. I myself feel the middlemen are the ones raising prices.

Not sure if this thread is really about small pistol primers or small rifle primers. Appears to be both.

In any case, I had not been loading anything requiring small rifle primers and as such do not have a stock in hand. I had an opportunity to turn a spare receiver into a 6BR and thought it would be fun to see what all the fuss was about. Well, as you know now, no bueno finding SRP anywhere.

Just this week a friend and fellow shooter from here did me a solid and bestowed a couple K on me so that this rifle, that has been setting here unused, could speak.

What I think has contributed to this particular shortage is the general movement away from LRP cartridges to all of the mouse fart cartridges like the .224V, the myriad 6mm cartridges now being favored in competitions over 6.5, and others of that ilk.

I remember when it was hard to find LRP because everyone was shooting .308 and 6.5 based rounds. Now I can get LRP just about anywhere, but they won’t fit into that tiny primer pocket.

Shit...my bad. I meant Illinois. Springfield, IL has about every type of primer in stock. Might be worth a drive.
No problem. I was just wondering what rock I’d been living under to not realize we had a Scheels here somewhere, lol.

Reactions: Gustav7
Not sure if this thread is really about small pistol primers or small rifle primers. Appears to be both.

In any case, I had not been loading anything requiring small rifle primers and as such do not have a stock in hand. I had an opportunity to turn a spare receiver into a 6BR and thought it would be fun to see what all the fuss was about. Well, as you know now, no bueno finding SRP anywhere.

Just this week a friend and fellow shooter from here did me a solid and bestowed a couple K on me so that this rifle, that has been setting here unused, could speak.

What I think has contributed to this particular shortage is the general movement away from LRP cartridges to all of the mouse fart cartridges like the .224V, the myriad 6mm cartridges now being favored in competitions over 6.5, and others of that ilk.

I remember when it was hard to find LRP because everyone was shooting .308 and 6.5 based rounds. Now I can get LRP just about anywhere, but they won’t fit into that tiny primer pocket.
That might be true with some. but it seems all the 6.5 and 308 guys myself included shoot SRP in those cases too. I switched over a couple years ago for ease of having to grab only one type of primer.

Reactions: lash and Gustav7
That might be true with some. but it seems all the 6.5 and 308 guys myself included shoot SRP in those cases too. I switched over a couple years ago for ease of having to grab only one type of primer.
See? You’re all part of the problem! ;) :p

See? You’re all part of the problem! ;) :p
I’m going to argue that I only use 205m Hahahaha. And the win 6 1/2 and cci 400 ,etc hoarders ruined it for me too. They bought up all the 205’s to put in bulk 223 loads. The probably don’t even have enough projectiles To fill the primers they bought. I was talking to fellas at my lgs. They told me some old man came in and bought up 2k$ worth of small rifle/pistol. After that, they said you could only buy 1k at a time. All that was left was small pistol mag. The problem is that guy. Not to mention the gun shops knowing they can’t replenish and screwing over regular customers. Southwest ammo told me the other day he was saving bricks of primers for regular customers. Was telling people that had never been in there before to get bent. Thank god I frequent that place lol.

Reactions: Gustav7 and lash
If you dont have a stash of small pistol primers now, your SOL for a long time. All primers will go to ammo producers before they hit the shelve.

I am actually start to see some SPPs floating around. One of the big reloading resellers filled a backorder for me the other day. I have not seen BR2s yet though.

If its like the last shit storm, soon we will be reloading rim fire cases with strike anywhere match powder lol.

Break out the old big bore rimfires if you got em.

Primers are generally always the bottleneck.
Do a analysis on your components and I bet primers are your limiting factor.
Eight months ago primers were cheap and plentiful.
My guess on normalcy concerning component availability is summer 2022.
If Trumpster is in office.

In the recent on-line article Guns and Ammo sent out they explain the primer shortage. Apparently, there are only 4 companies producing primers in the US. They are working overtime to fill orders but orders are far out-pacing production. For example, Federal has to produce primers to manufacture its own ammo, fill contracts for other ammo producers, and lastly, primers for reloading. The article said there is a large shipment of primers currently in transit from overseas but that is a few weeks out from hitting our shores. Times will apparently be tight for some time. I recently found large pistol primers and small rifle primers but small pistol are no-where to be found. I'm having trouble finding bullets, anybody else finding them in short supply?

I'm having trouble finding bullets, anybody else finding them in short supply?

Which bullets? 9MM seems to be in short supply. Most others are available.

I just got some .38 bullets and a sample pack of 9mm from these guys. Coated lead bullets. They seem even nicer than what I usually use for my .38 loads. They'll handle any thing within book limits. Sized to .356 and plenty have reported they work in glocks just fine.