• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Haboob

pteranadon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2014
I'm curious if anyone knows of any wind conversion charts out there in case there is a haboob in my area. My area won't a difference, just mostly if there is a haboob. A conversion in mil will help me. thanks.

It won't do you any good. The wind switches directions a couple times a second and that much debris in the air has an effect on the bullet. Also, how are you going to see far enough to compensate for wind when visibility is 2 inches? Did you just learn the word?

Last edited:
Well actually I knew the word. Funny as the word is, I had to use it. It's happening down in palm springs now. But it makes a civi like myself wonder.. pull the trigger and hope for the best? i'm serious here now. In situations that I myself don't know if others have been trained for, it does make one wonder when people are in harms way and they have to deal with what is thrown at them when their life is in danger. As a civi I have the most respect to those who defend what I have. I'm sure there are haboobs in other countries where our troops are.

It is a pretty funny word! Honestly, you won't be shooting anything in a real hayboob. Literally you cannot see your hand in front of your face.

Ehw7FJ7.jpg

GaO0Ord.jpg

These were light ones, everything is pretty much shut down. I'm sure there were some EFP's planted on the route I was watching in the second pic while this was going on.

Gunfighter- yeah I wouldn't or couldn't shoot one of those down.
Victory- That is one hellofahaboob.

Whatever you call them, they suck. Here in the first world we go inside and turn off our air conditioners, maybe run a line of masking tape around the door seals just to keep the dust out.

not to mention what it does to lenses, both goggles, eyeglasses and scopes.....Think sandblaster.

That's when you wish you hadn't turned up your nose at a set of cheap Butler Creek Blizzard Scope Caps. You can't see through them any better but at least you can see and he lenses don't get sandblasted.

If you've ever been in one of these so-called Dust Storms it's easy to figure out why Arabs wear the head cover they do.

Those were the days, at least we had little signs up that gave us what row of tents we were on so all we had to do is remember one number. I also attached a photo of what the GP looked like before and during a storm. The sand reflects off the flash.

Attachments

• P1150002.JPG
    P1150002.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1260007.JPG
    P1260007.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P1020001.JPG
    P1020001.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 20
ha ha, no doubt about that. We had AF at the far end of our first camp (Marines/Army/AF) and I swear every E-2 there had their own Suburban. I use to go by the PJ's "dorm room" and they would invite us in for some cold drinks and the A/C but I just could not force myself to go in as I would be even more pissed for the reminder of the deployment. Damn AF was even paid a bonus for having to live in "sub-standard" living conditions. On my way to the chow line at night to eat salad and MRE casserole, I would walk past the AF chow hall and see the locals serving Ice Cream and real soda. Our HQ comes out and tells us that no Marines can eat there but we see all the heavies from HQ in there and they say that they need to eat there because their compound is right there and it saves them time instead of walking all the way down to our side for chow.

ha ha, no doubt about that. We had AF at the far end of our first camp (Marines/Army/AF) and I swear every E-2 there had their own Suburban. I use to go by the PJ's "dorm room" and they would invite us in for some cold drinks and the A/C but I just could not force myself to go in as I would be even more pissed for the reminder of the deployment. Damn AF was even paid a bonus for having to live in "sub-standard" living conditions. On my way to the chow line at night to eat salad and MRE casserole, I would walk past the AF chow hall and see the locals serving Ice Cream and real soda. Our HQ comes out and tells us that no Marines can eat there but we see all the heavies from HQ in there and they say that they need to eat there because their compound is right there and it saves them time instead of walking all the way down to our side for chow.

Ah come on now, a Navy guy can't really complain about living conditions! I was on an 18 man team that lived in an abandoned hotel in Sadr City for 15 months. 1 click to the nearest fob, no electricity, running water, air conditioning, or hot chow. Here is the view.
(by the way, I'm just flicking your nuggets!)
aJUt9Bw.jpg

While I am digging through pictures...I always thought this was funny. A mobile clinic with flat tires! lol, third world countries suck!
zZPUWYH.jpg

If I can get some of you guys to post up, I'll start a deployment picture thread. That should be fun.

"Ah come on now, a Navy guy can't really complain about living conditions! I was on an 18 man team that lived in an abandoned hotel in Sadr City for 15 months. 1 click to the nearest fob, no electricity, running water, air conditioning, or hot chow."

While I may be Navy, I was an FMF Corpsman so we lived all the same. They did give us a light bulb in the GP medium even though we had no electricity....or A/C. We did have a field shower and luckily I was on the burly side so I could always spread the back muscles and "flair up" in the shower to keep the other guys from trying to squeeze in and use the other shower head:)

I wanted to claim this old hanger and set up a BAS in here but the roof had a few holes in it.....the kind of holes that a few ponchos and duct tape can't fix. I had my HM1 stand under a hole to give the Group Surgeon an idea of what I was talking about when I said it had a leaky roof.

Attachments

• P1120037.JPG
    P1120037.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 12
  • P1120038.JPG
    P1120038.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P1120039.JPG
    P1120039.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 11
I wanted to claim this old hanger and set up a BAS in here but the roof had a few holes in it.....the kind of holes that a few ponchos and duct tape can't fix. I had my HM1 stand under a hole to give the Group Surgeon an idea of what I was talking about when I said it had a leaky roof.

You ungrateful bastards. We gave you skylights and you still bitch.