• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hacked my V3 Magnetospeed today

357Max

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 11, 2019
    Marylandistan
    I was at the range Sat. to try out a new to me V3 magneto speed. Bought in the PX here. Battery was dead, put in spare 9v and it lasted 10 min. F%$k!!
    Now the spare may not have been that fresh, but still 9v's suck and CR123 are expensive.
    Disassembled it and milled it with a ball mill .025 per side, .025 deeper, & .025 out of lid.

18650 rechargeable Li-ion is the way to go. It'd be great if Magnetospeed would rethink their choice of batteries for these. It makes no sense to stack 2 x CR123's. If you have that much room, then go single 18650.

I'll never have a dead battery again. If it does die I can just plug it in my car. Plus I run the same in my flashlights.

These rechargeable 18650's are great and like $23 with free shipping from Fenix or Nitecore.

IMG_5403-1.jpg

IMG_5404-1.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5401-1.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

I was at the range Sat. to try out a new to me V3 magneto speed. Bought in the PX here. Battery was dead, put in spare 9v and it lasted 10 min. F%$k!!
    Now the spare may not have been that fresh, but still 9v's suck and CR123 are expensive.
    Disassembled it and milled it with a ball mill .025 per side, .025 deeper, & .025 out of lid.

18650 rechargeable Li-ion is the way to go. It'd be great if Magnetospeed would rethink their choice of batteries for these. It makes no sense to stack 2 x CR123's. If you have that much room, then go single 18650.

I'll never have a dead battery again. If it does die I can just plug it in my car. Plus I run the same in my flashlights.

These rechargeable 18650's are great and like $23 with free shipping from Fenix or Nitecore.

View attachment 7310667
    View attachment 7310668
    View attachment 7310669
    View attachment 7310671
    View attachment 7310672
    They actually don't need to rethink it at all you just had a dud battery. Mine has been going for years on the same 9v battery and I use it a lot

Que all the fly by night, self YouTube taught, Dremel gunsmiths modding their V3s. I can only imagine the excuses the Magneto warranty department will be getting when a guy sends theirs in for an issue.

All kidding aside, cool mod and if it works for ya, that’s sweet.

It says right in the manual that 9v batteries will work but aren't recommended, especially in cold weather. I switched to CR123 batteries and go through about 1 set per year. Same with my LRF binoculars.

Reactions: TACC
    My sporter eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake.

Magnetospeed should get with the times and connect to your phone and ditch the little display module altogether. There's so much more you could do with an ap.
    My original sporter battery lasted for two years and I use it quite a bit.
    I finally changed it just because it had. dipped into the 6’s

I do agree they could do some innovations.

What is the voltage cutoff of the Magnetospeed? You do realize an 18650 is 3.6v and two CR123's are 7.2v.
    Given the flat voltage curve of Lion batteries, it may be ok....or not. YMMV JMHO

Reactions: MotorOilMcCall
    What is the voltage cutoff of the Magnetospeed? You do realize an 18650 is 3.6v and two CR123's are 7.2v.
    Given the flat voltage curve of Lion batteries, it may be ok....or not. YMMV JMHO

Good point and I didn't fully explain my thought process on this hack. I will disagree on one thing though. CR123 are 3.0V so 6.0V for the series.

Per the Magneto manual, it will operate normally down to 3.4V, Doesn't say what cut off is.

The 3500mah Fenix and all my other 18650's charge to 4.2V, I charge them when they get down below 3.6 & that is about 60% charge.
    Since mah does not double with cr 123 in series you've got 1400mah available on a fresh set. 40% of 3500 is still 1400 with room to go before reaching 3.4V.

I like having the option to plug a single battery into my car for a couple minutes to get back up and running.

I thought about running 2 x Fenix mini USB rechargeable 16340's in series. They will fit without modification.........but = 7.2V vs 6V for the CR 123's. Didn't want to risk over voltage on the Magnetospeed when set for CR 123's
    It would be an easier drop in option but we'd need Magnetospeed to confirm 7.2V is GTG for the CR123 setting????
    1588288201274.png

Last edited:
    So just as a follow up I ran one of these 18650's from a full charge 4.215V down to 20% in another device that has good battery monitoring info. At 20% charge it still had 3.1V popped it in Magnetospeed and it still worked albeit with a low batt warning.

3500mah x 60% (should still be above 3.4V) = 2100mah available or 50% more then a good set of CR123's @ 1400mah.

Reactions: TACC and Nebulous
    My sporter eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake.

Magnetospeed should get with the times and connect to your phone and ditch the little display module altogether. There's so much more you could do with an ap.

I'm the opposite. I dont like running my phone on the range. I prefer the display box. Just wish it could show SD and ES at the same time.

I'm the opposite. I dont like running my phone on the range. I prefer the display box. Just wish it could show SD and ES at the same time.

Lol, thats cool. You have a miniature super computer in your pocket but would rather use a watch calculator that doesn't do what you want.

Lol, thats cool. You have a miniature super computer in your pocket but would rather use a watch calculator that doesn't do what you want.
    Yeah every time that little super computer even sees sunlight it gets hot and over heats.

Every time I take said super computer to the range it somehow finds itself face down in the Gravel with a shattered screen protector.

Can't buy Harbor Freight batteries and expect them to last like Duracell. Always check the dates on the package. My wife bought some batteries on sale from Safeway without checking the date, they were ten years old. You get what you pay for!

Definitely like the unauthorized upgrade

Thanks for this info, the second I saw that it took 2x CR123 I looked up whether it would take an 18650. Huge oversight by MS to not accommodate the most popular flashlight battery. I'll be modding mine in the exact same way.