• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Had a long break from the site........new lathe

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
Well, I've been away for some time guys. Took a long break from the rifles and transitioned over to handgunning the last couple of years. However, I've been busy with the "regular 40" at the PD, family and tinkering on the side. I finally got lined out and the new lathe arrived a couple of weeks ago.

After lookin' around at the different lathes out there, a close friend and gunsmith, pointed me to the Grizzly G0750G. I had looked hard at the G4003G and he swayed me towards the G0750G due to the enclosed gear head. I contacted Grizzly back in March to check on the availability and when they'd be getting them in stock. After the order, Grizzly had it on the way about 8 weeks after I ordered her.

Here was the lathe after she arrived and was uncrated.......

After we got her uncrated, we swung her from a boom pole on the tractor and eased her in the basement......

Once we got her in the dry, we started getting her jockeyed into position and swung on the stands......

My old man helping out.....

And my ugly mug bolting her down.......

Finally, swung, bolted and leveled in.......

I want to thank PapaGrizz and the staff at Grizzly. Was probably one of the best experiences I have ever had with a major company. Totally painless and Grizzly went above and beyond to get the lathe out and to me. I see great things coming here in the near future!!

Cool lathe! I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

I have a Precision Matthews PM1236 that seems to have the same quick change gear transmission.
PM 1236 Metal Working Lathe

LathePM1236configurationfor12TPIMauserthreads.jpg

LathePM1236with48teethonspindlegearcase117toothidlerand24teethonleadscrewgearboxforM98.jpg

PM1236threadgearbox1.jpg

PM1236withanextra4-40screwinthethreadinggearbox.jpg

Do you have to manually change a gear with a wrench to go from 12TPI Mauser threads to 16TPI Remington 700 threads?
I do.

And I repaired that transmission once. It was under warranty, but it was easier for me to fix it myself.

I have a Precision Matthews PM1236 that seems to have the same quick change gear transmission.
PM 1236 Metal Working Lathe

Do you have to manually change a gear with a wrench to go from 12TPI Mauser threads to 16TPI Remington 700 threads?
I do.

Clark, that's pretty much the same as my lathe. Like your's, I have to switch the gears between thread pitches. Only difference is paint and name. I'm well pleased with it thus far, I put together a review video here of it........

Grizzly G0750G Lathe Review - YouTube

I turned the stock at the end of the video and was running .020-.025" cuts per pass without any issues. I turned another piece identical and took cuts as deep as .050". I wanted to see how the Grizz would handle a heavy cut, was smooth as butta.

I have had my PM1236 lathe for 5 years. It took 6 months to get here from China. It is my 5th lathe. I am very happy with it.

It is all that I need for gunsmithing and building gunsmithing tooling.

What you are not going to like is the break in. You have to run for x hours, and then take the oil out, that still looks good, and put gallons of new non detergent machine oil in.

What you are not going to like is the break in. You have to run for x hours, and then take the oil out, that still looks good, and put gallons of new non detergent machine oil in.

I hear ya my man, took a solid two hours to run the lathe thru the break-in. Had to put another 3.5 qts in the headstock and another 1.5 qts in the gearbox. All in all, I'm not complaining, aside from not being able to find ISO 32 equivalent for the headstock.......thank God for Amazon!

Great lathe and review, thanks for posting that! Is there a coolant option with that machine?