• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Halo XRF Issues. Best replacement for long range?

Ksracer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I bought a Halo XRF without doing much research to replace a Trail 2 XQ50 LRF for 400+ yd shots on coyotes. I have no problems ringing steel at 1k plus with my match rig, so I'd like a thermal scope that will at least let me engage shots in the 500yd range.
My issues with the Trail were a LRF that wouldn't reliably range much past 300yds and a reticle that was only graduated in full Mil marks. Realistic chances of hitting a coyote isn't much beyond 300yds, although I have dropped some farther than that. Overall I was satisfied with it for what I paid.
Enter the Halo. From day 1, the LRF was almost 100% inop. It usually gets stuck on 8-10yds and won't pickup whatever object it's aimed at. I sent it off for warranty 6 days after receiving it and the latest update is that they are waiting on parts so I'm probably looking at a 30 day total turnaround in the middle of coyote season. I'm sure they'll get it fixed, but the real issue is the reticle.
My dope at 400yds is 1.1 mils. The adaptive reticle switches from white to black unless there is a hot object in the center. So as soon as you elevate the reticle more than .5 mil, it switches to black on black and you can't aim.
The major issue is that with the adaptive reticle turned off, the default reticle color for black hot is a ..... Black reticle..... There is no option to select anything else. Again, it's impossible to precisely aim at a black hot object with a black reticle. How that made it's way into the programming of a $10,000 rifle scope is beyond me.
So, what are my options? I need.
1. A quality image with a reticle graduated in .5 mil increments or less and the ability to select colors.
2. A LRF capable of ranging @ past 600yds. Either incorporated into the display or side mounted like a Radius.
3. Combined cost of 10k or so
4. Something available immediately.
5. Somebody with an extra $9.5k to buy the XRF....

Can't you go into the reticle settings and turn off the adaptive reticle? I don't have the XRF, but you can on the Halo 25 so I assume you can on the XRF also.

Can't you go into the reticle settings and turn off the adaptive reticle?
Yes. But it defaults to a black reticle for black hot, and a white reticle for white hot. No option to select a different color.

Reactions: SDBguy95
That is not how it is. it defaults to the opposite of the heat signature color. my halo lr doesnt do that. you have something wrong if thats the case.
Negative Ghost Rider. I've been in touch with their customer service multiple times. Black hot locks you into a black reticle on the XRF.

Reactions: BigSkyRF
That is not how it is. it defaults to the opposite of the heat signature color. my halo lr doesnt do that. you have something wrong if thats the case.
Incorrect. My halo was the same way my XRF is. When in black hot you can lock the reticle in Black. When in white hot you can lock it in white. When adaptive is turned off it is matched to the same Hot color setting as the scope is set in.

As soon as you try to hold enough where the center of the reticle isnt on the "hot" object anymore it goes back to the setting color.

Incorrect. My halo was the same way my XRF is. When in black hot you can lock the reticle in Black. When in white hot you can lock it in white. When adaptive is turned off it is matched to the same Hot color setting as the scope is set in.

As soon as you try to hold enough where the center of the reticle isnt on the "hot" object anymore it goes back to the setting color.
I need to go smash my thumb with a hammer while trying to cut a stick of butter with a screwdriver.
Maybe that would give me some insight as to their decision making because I can't currently wrap my mind around it.

Update.
An hour after they told me they didn't have parts, they sent a tracking number. They wouldn't go into details as to what was done to fix the LRF in a follow up call, so I'm crossing my fingers it works, but it sounds like this issue was already addressed in earlier scopes and now it's back.
As far as the black on black reticle, they said they might fix it in a future update, but it's not a priority.
Just to be clear, I'm irritated about the LRF, but I understand shit happens and they were prompt about addressing it.
I'm fucking pissed about the reticle though. There's no excuse for it.
I'll update again once I find out if the LRF works this time, but I'm still looking for a better option.

Reactions: deersniper
Hopefully your Halo is working 100% when you get it back and the reticle issue can be modified with a firmware update in the future.
While your patiently waiting for your Halo, I would look into a 640 res thermal without the LRF feature that will have no issues acquiring a target at your desired range and a 640 res monocular with LRF to do your spotting and range finding.
I've found that the LRF's work better in monocular's, than scopes.

Reactions: DIBBS and Ksracer
I’ve only killed 300+ coyotes with the halo lr so far. Plenty utilizing the type7 reticle and holds with kills to 500yd. I guess I have it in adaptive mode and not sure why you wouldn’t but I’ve never had an issue. I’ve also ran it many times on heated steel to 800yd.
910A6AE9-2549-4F9F-8F17-636B69FD5E5B.jpeg

I’ve only killed 300+ coyotes with the halo lr so far. Plenty utilizing the type7 reticle and holds with kills to 500yd. I guess I have it in adaptive mode and not sure why you wouldn’t but I’ve never had an issue. I’ve also ran it many times on heated steel to 800yd. View attachment 7759287
What happens to your reticle when you aim 1.5mils over that coyotes head? Mine changes to white and isn't visible within the animals body outline.
I tried to do a dope check on steel at 400yds and no matter what settings I used, I couldn't get a reticle that was visible on the steel for the same reason.

Reactions: BigSkyRF
I’ll double check it. I thought it stayed in that color when any part as on target. Maybe I’m simply adapting to it and don’t realize it. I’ll report back.

Reactions: Ksracer
I’ll double check it. I thought it stayed in that color when any part as on target. Maybe I’m simply adapting to it and don’t realize it. I’ll report back.
Maybe I need to make a video to better illustrate what I'm talking about, because it seems like some other scopes work different or have settings my XRF doesn't.
Another member suggested lowering the contrast so that the animal was more grey and then the black reticle might show up, so I'm going to try that when I get it back.

I'm up to 503 critters killed since I started counting ... and I think I recall have "reticle blindness" on 5 of those 503 times ... but I'm usually using UTC 320 or UTC-x.
I have used mk3 60mm and left it on adaptive.

Reactions: DIBBS
I'm having some buyers remorse also, especially now that you point out this achilles's heel. The coyote market dropping out has actually taken some of the sting off for me!

I haven't been very impressed with the image but don't have a lot of time behind mine yet. So far I feel like my Halo LR had a better image. My XRF broke the 2nd time I used it after sitting on a waiting list for 6 months and paying to get it shipped overnight for season. NVision was great and fixed it quickly but my lrf is crap also. I initially believed the lrf wasn't working because of slightly foggy conditions. Otherwise I could have got both issues repaired in the first return.. This will teach me what happens when I don't buy Chinese!

Whoever did the reticle must have also come up with the idea of creating the zoom lockout in the menu.

I think Shoots is right on with the best option. I don't know what reticles Iray has but they may have a lrf available at some point you could add on to one of their scopes. After so many disappointments with numerous thermals (Pulsar) I'm getting over it entirely. I'm feeling like climbing out of the rabbit hole! Maybe ten years from now the market will be where we want it.

I'm having some buyers remorse also, especially now that you point out this achilles's heel. The coyote market dropping out has actually taken some of the sting off for me!

I haven't been very impressed with the image but don't have a lot of time behind mine yet. So far I feel like my Halo LR had a better image. My XRF broke the 2nd time I used it after sitting on a waiting list for 6 months and paying to get it shipped overnight for season. NVision was great and fixed it quickly but my lrf is crap also. I initially believed the lrf wasn't working because of slightly foggy conditions. Otherwise I could have got both issues repaired in the first return.. This will teach me what happens when I don't buy Chinese!

Whoever did the reticle must have also come up with the idea of creating the zoom lockout in the menu.

I think Shoots is right on with the best option. I don't know what reticles Iray has but they may have a lrf available at some point you could add on to one of their scopes. After so many disappointments with numerous thermals (Pulsar) I'm getting over it entirely. I'm feeling like climbing out of the rabbit hole! Maybe ten years from now the market will be where we want it.
Wait until I post an update and video on the "repaired" LRF... Let's just say the reticle has moved down the list of my concerns...

Reactions: P&Y
First of all, thank you all for your good comments. Let me address a couple of points:

1. Image quality of the HALO-LR vs. HALO-X50 vs. HALO-XRF. The current production units have the same optics and sensors. The perceived variance in optical quality between units could be due to production tolerances or display tint, but they are all the same. Older HALO-LRs had a different objective lens that was updated with the release of the HALO-X line.

2. Reticle color. The current behavior is such that if the Adaptive Color is Off and the polarity is White Hot, the reticle color is white. On the other hand, if the polarity is Black Hot, the reticle color is black. Until now, we did not hear any good or bad comments about this scenario. However, it is clear that there are strong opinions (thank you @Ksracer and @P&Y) that this has to change, and the reticle should be black in case of White Hot and white in case of the Black Hot.

We will be glad to change the reticle color as requested by @Ksracer and @P&Y. It's very easy (two lines of code). However, I'd appreciate it if others could comment if they see it as a desirable improvement or not. If there is strong opposition to changing the current reticle behavior, we will talk more about it. Otherwise, we'll roll out a new software release that will make the reticle black in White Hot mode and white in Black Hot mode.

Again, thanks a lot! Your feedback really helps to make our products better.

NVision's customer support is top notch no doubt! The jury is still out on my image opinion. At any rate Thank you Max

Reactions: Max_R
First of all, thank you all for your good comments. Let me address a couple of points:

1. Image quality of the HALO-LR vs. HALO-X50 vs. HALO-XRF. The current production units have the same optics and sensors. The perceived variance in optical quality between units could be due to production tolerances or display tint, but they are all the same. Older HALO-LRs had a different objective lens that was updated with the release of the HALO-X line.

2. Reticle color. The current behavior is such that if the Adaptive Color is Off and the polarity is White Hot, the reticle color is white. On the other hand, if the polarity is Black Hot, the reticle color is black. Until now, we did not hear any good or bad comments about this scenario. However, it is clear that there are strong opinions (thank you @Ksracer and @P&Y) that this has to change, and the reticle should be black in case of White Hot and white in case of the Black Hot.

We will be glad to change the reticle color as requested by @Ksracer and @P&Y. It's very easy (two lines of code). However, I'd appreciate it if others could comment if they see it as a desirable improvement or not. If there is strong opposition to changing the current reticle behavior, we will talk more about it. Otherwise, we'll roll out a new software release that will make the reticle black in White Hot mode and white in Black Hot mode.

Thankyou for addressing this.
For the record, is it possible to offer a choice of reticle colors to keep everyone happy?
Either the same or inverse of the of the heat signature?
I'd appreciate some more details on the LRF problems also.
I personally think the image is the best I've seen, as do several others in my group.
I'm sorry this post happened, but sometimes polite requests slide through the cracks.

As I read this patiently waiting for my xrf to arrive that was order when they were first announced. The reason for even wanting this set up is over my pvs 30, tig ir, reap 60 ,lwts lr. Is the rangefinder and mil reticle in 1 unit(maybe add apllied ballistics) using the mil ret to hold over to make shots is a must as far as I'm concerned the ret must be a different color than the heat signature even a color ret as red easy to pick up.just my 2 cents.

Ksracer,

I sure hope it all works out for you on the LRF.

I have had my unit since early summer 2021 and so far with roughly 60 plus nights of hunting pigs for 4-8 hrs a night my unit is still working perfect.

If there is anything I can do to help answer questions I will try my best. I will be using it tonight on another pig hunt ;-)

Robert

Ksracer,

I sure hope it all works out for you on the LRF.

I have had my unit since early summer 2021 and so far with roughly 60 plus nights of hunting pigs for 4-8 hrs a night my unit is still working perfect.

If there is anything I can do to help answer questions I will try my best. I will be using it tonight on another pig hunt ;-)

Robert
Want to trade scopes with me??

For the record, is it possible to offer a choice of reticle colors to keep everyone happy?
Either the same or inverse of the of the heat signature?

It is possible to offer a choice of reticle color vs. image polarity. Still, implementing this functionality will take slightly longer because it will require a change of the user interface and underlying logic to accommodate. However, it appears that your original idea of the reticle color being opposite to image polarity is appealing to many people, and I did not hear a single comment against it. So, for the time being, we'll focus on it. Then, if we see sufficient demand for more flexibility over time, we'll implement it too.

I'd appreciate some more details on the LRF problems also.

At the moment, I believe that all reported LRF problems, no matter the way they appear, have essentially the same cause. Some of our LRF modules are more sensitive than the majority, and they perform wonderfully well in the most challenging conditions, such as bright sunlight and hot temperatures. You can try it for yourself. I'm pretty sure that you'll never have a problem with your LRF during the daytime. Cooler and darker conditions, in general, are a blessing for LRFs. Any LRF works better at night and in the cold because there is much lower "interference" from the sunlight and the thermal noise is lower. However, for those ultrasensitive LRF modules, those conditions are "too good," and they (LRF modules) start reporting all sorts of unreliable results in the best possible conditions. We've been running testing non-stop for a while, and I'm pretty comfortable saying that we now have an LRF firmware update that solves mentioned above problems for those extra-sensitive modules.

It is possible to offer a choice of reticle color vs. image polarity. Still, implementing this functionality will take slightly longer because it will require a change of the user interface and underlying logic to accommodate. However, it appears that your original idea of the reticle color being opposite to image polarity is appealing to many people, and I did not hear a single comment against it. So, for the time being, we'll focus on it. Then, if we see sufficient demand for more flexibility over time, we'll implement it too.

At the moment, I believe that all reported LRF problems, no matter the way they appear, have essentially the same cause. Some of our LRF modules are more sensitive than the majority, and they perform wonderfully well in the most challenging conditions, such as bright sunlight and hot temperatures. You can try it for yourself. I'm pretty sure that you'll never have a problem with your LRF during the daytime. Cooler and darker conditions, in general, are a blessing for LRFs. Any LRF works better at night and in the cold because there is much lower "interference" from the sunlight and the thermal noise is lower. However, for those ultrasensitive LRF modules, those conditions are "too good," and they (LRF modules) start reporting all sorts of unreliable results in the best possible conditions. We've been running testing non-stop for a while, and I'm pretty comfortable saying that we now have an LRF firmware update that solves mentioned above problems for those extra-sensitive modules.
Simple and quick is good. I can't imagine anybody complaining about an inverse color, but like in my reply to Killswitch, everybody's situation is different. I don't want you to fix it for me, but screw somebody else in the process.
As far as the LRF, I'm going to send you a PM.
Thanks.

I add my vote for "inverse color". And understand I think we're saying this is only when you turn off adaptive and lock in a color.

... I can't imagine anybody complaining about an inverse color, but like in my reply to Killswitch, everybody's situation is different. I don't want you to fix it for me, but screw somebody else in the process...
I can see both the pro and con arguments but it appears that the majority of people voicing their opinion support your point of view. It is entirely possible that people who are happy with the current arrangement are not calling us and not looking at this thread. We'll give it till Monday for people to chime in. Current users will have an option to update or not to update no matter which way we are going.

Reactions: stefan73

I wish you had more of the X-35 units available when I needed a scope.
I liked the Halo I had, but couldn't afford to feed it 123's and the better suited 18650 power supply of the new X models was enough to overlook the manual nuking.
I would've liked to support a business that gives great customer service, support and also takes customer input seriously.
This post has brought me back to looking at the X-35 again.

SJC

We have a Nox-35 but haven't had a Halo-35X since last Q2.

Since you went radio silent in the PM chat, I'm back to airing my grievances in public.
Just like with the reticle the first several times I mentioned it, you're not listening to what I'm telling you.
My LRF does not act in the manner you describe. The video I'm going to post was taken on a 60*F night, no snow, no mist or rain, 58% humidity an hour after I got home from picking it up at FedEx from "repair". The deer are 1-200 yds away, the tree line to the right is 4-500.
30 minutes later with no perceptible change in weather it worked perfect. It never missed a "ping" no matter how fast I panned or moved it around. It ranged the cattle in the upper part of the screen @ 1k+ repeatedly.
I drove 3 hrs to hunt last night and it never worked. Period. The same as the first time I hunted with it. Same as the first time I opened the box after purchasing it. I just walked outside in bright sunlight, and it's still only 50/50 inside of a couple hundred yds. In the 5 weeks I've owned it, it's been completely inop 4.8 of the 5hrs it's been turned on.
As far as releasing your second "fix" last week, with just a little bit of candor I would have waited to send it in or told you to keep it a few extra days if that's what was needed, instead of missing 2 weekends for nothing.
As far as using software to patch a component problem, Pulsar tried that with the zero shift issue and it didn't work for them. I'm seriously hoping for the best, but my confidence is exceptionally low.

Edit: I need to format the video before it will post. The guys at N-Vision have already seen it and offered no open or candid feedback.

Man this really sucks. I was really pumped about buying one of these. I'll be waiting a bit for now. On paper it fits my needs perfectly, coyotes, and since I'm a poor, 10k is a lot of money for me to spend.

I hope this works out for you man.

Reactions: DIBBS and Ksracer

Edit: I need to format the video before it will post. The guys at N-Vision have already seen it and offered no open or candid feedback.

What kind of feedback do you want from N-Vision? I have already given you the best explanation that we have and I don't have another one. Your assumption that we are trying to fix a component problem with the software does not correspond to reality. There is a chance that your XRF has a hardware problem. If this is the case, it is not going to be solved with the latest software.

Man this really sucks. I was really pumped about buying one of these. I'll be waiting a bit for now. On paper it fits my needs perfectly, coyotes, and since I'm a poor, 10k is a lot of money for me to spend.

I hope this works out for you man.
Thanks for the moral encouragement.
I'm going to buy the first Radius I find for sale and then toss my Manners in the Bridgeport for a side rail. I want to have something working before New Years.

Reactions: silentwoods
Thanks for the moral encouragement.
I'm going to buy the first Radius I find for sale and then toss my Manners in the Bridgeport for a side rail. I want to have something working before New Years.
Pm sent

What kind of feedback do you want from N-Vision? I have already given you the best explanation that we have and I don't have another one. Your assumption that we are trying to fix a component problem with the software does not correspond to reality. There is a chance that your XRF has a hardware problem. If this is the case, it is not going to be solved with the latest software.
I want to know the truth about the $10k scope I just bought when I call, instead of having to drag this out into public to get an answer. I specifically asked what was done to address my scope while it was back, and the answer I got ranged from software, to parts, to both, then back to software.

1 of 2 things are happening. Possibly both.

A. My scope is truly an outlier and needs major parts or complete replacement.

B. This problem is far more widespread than you're being candid about or possibly realize yet. The fact that my group bought 4 of them, two of which have already been sent back in and the third just started acting up leads me to believe this. Mine is inversely worse than the other two. They work fine 80 or 95% of the time. The jury is still out on the 4th one. It hasn't been used much.

@Ksracer it is the weekend before Christmas. If you want to blast someone for not responding over a weekend then go ahead but NVision didn’t get the reputation they have by peddling crap. By the way, he’s responded above so hopefully this gets resolved well.

I’ve got no dog in this fight (watching closely as I’m hoping to spend $ again soon) but complaining in public because you didn’t get a response over the weekend from the head of the company who has voluntarily made himself accessible might not be the best approach

Reactions: Ksracer
@Ksracer it is the weekend before Christmas. If you want to blast someone for not responding over a weekend then go ahead but NVision didn’t get the reputation they have by peddling crap. By the way, he’s responded above so hopefully this gets resolved well.

I’ve got no dog in this fight (watching closely as I’m hoping to spend $ again soon) but complaining in public because you didn’t get a response over the weekend from the head of the company who has voluntarily made himself accessible might not be the best approach
Fair points, but it wasn't over the weekend that Max went silent. He was back online multiple times yesterday, and my last question was a very simple one to answer. I had no idea who he was either. I just want some straight answers when I ask, so if he's volunteering, then I'm holding his feet to the fire.
I've initiated multiple phone calls that just went in circles also.
I would have loved to deal with this during the week, but I was busy working 16hr days trying to recover from a massive windstorm. I've lost track of how many Holidays I've worked straight through.

Last edited:
Fair points, but it wasn't over the weekend that Max went silent. He was back online multiple times yesterday, and my last question was a very simple one to answer.
I've initiated multiple phone calls that just went in circles also.
I would have loved to deal with this during the week, but I was busy working 16hr days trying to recover from a massive windstorm. I've lost track of how many Holidays I've worked straight through.
Totally hear you on the hectic schedule, seems like everyone I talk to (regardless of industry) has been that way. The squeaky wheel does get the grease, or gets replaced.

Sounds like Max likely is the best resource rather than a customer support line and I'm sure he's focused on this and many other things. Sucks for sure the LRF doesn't work because that's a pretty real upcharge and legit feature that is needed.

Hope it all gets resolved quickly for you! *back to the sideline for me

I want to know the truth about the $10k scope I just bought when I call, instead of having to drag this out into public to get an answer. I specifically asked what was done to address my scope while it was back, and the answer I got ranged from software, to parts, to both, then back to software.

1 of 2 things are happening. Possibly both.

A. My scope is truly an outlier and needs major parts or complete replacement.

B. This problem is far more widespread than you're being candid about or possibly realize yet. The fact that my group bought 4 of them, two of which have already been sent back in and the third just started acting up leads me to believe this. Mine is inversely worse than the other two. They work fine 80 or 95% of the time. The jury is still out on the 4th one. It hasn't been used much.
Based on the description that you provided, it appears that your scope's LRF problem is very unusual due to its daytime misbehavior.

You were given an honest answer about the work that has been done on your scope. The LRF firmware was updated to the latest as the moment of repair (I'm sure you are not getting 6 to 8 yards readings anymore), and one of the electronic components was replaced even though it was not strictly necessary.

Based on the description that you provided, it appears that your scope's LRF problem is very unusual due to its daytime misbehavior.

You were given an honest answer about the work that has been done on your scope. The LRF firmware was updated to the latest as the moment of repair (I'm sure you are not getting 6 to 8 yards readings anymore), and one of the electronic components was replaced even though it was not strictly necessary.
Hey Max,

I'm just watching because I want one too. Is this a rare situation or just growing pains?

I think most folks understand that it happens occasionally and are okay as long as it's rectified.

Fwiw, I'm learning a lot about these scopes, never knew this weird stuff happened.

The 10-12 readings still existed just a few hrs ago in daylight if the scope was aimed at a small 300yd hill that was behind and over an even smaller hill. It's just not as frequent as it was, but I repeated it several times. Since the update, it mostly just reads ---.

I'm calling a truce for the weekend. I got my point across and you know to get ahold of me next week if you have more questions or a resolution.

Last edited: