• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft HAM Help

bluegrasspicker

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2005
West Virginia
I'd be very grateful if some HAM-oriented people could give this a read.

My goal is to maintain communications with my mom. She's fiercely independent and tough, but you know... Gotta' look after mom!

We're rural, and the phones are not always reliable.

According to the topo she's two miles away (1.96miles) as the crow flies with less than a hundred yards of land in between that's about 20 feet higher than line-of-sight. This doesn't include trees.

I suspect that HAM radio is the solution, even if I have to mount antennas to our homes.

Before things went nuts I purchased each of us a Yaesu FT-60R. We've studied for the exam. However, when I called the local club a few weeks ago the contact told me that exams are delayed because of the virus.

So, it looks like we're grounded. Can anyone recommend a way to move forward? I certainly want to remain compliant with the HAM rules. I also want to have a way to keep track of her status in the event that things go further south.

As it stands I've figured out how to access NOAA. Are there any other cool tricks I can learn before getting my license?

To make a long post longer by summarizing:

1. My first priority is figuring out a way to establish non-phone contact with my mom two miles away.
2. Second priority is general knowledge and cool tricks. One outcome is that she would stay interested in having the radio around.

Any insight on how to move forward with these goals is very much appreciated.

I'm a nerd but very new to this, so please don't assume much knowledge on my end.

Look up how to make a dipole antenna, cut it to the freq/s you want to use an your home free. 468/the freq = the total antenna length in feet. Put the feed point dead in the middle run RG 58 coax to it an you will have no issues at all. That formula is for 18 gage wire an a 1/2 wave antenna

Reactions: Ravenworks
@Bluegrasskicker I saw some news the other day that they are doing online exams. I don't have the details? Let me see if I can find the link.

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

My plan, and please let me know if you think I should do otherwise, is as follows.

I'll learn the theory behind the dipole antenna. I can't not do that now that the surface has been scratched.

At the same time, I'll move forward and encourage my mom to move forward with the online HAM license. I love electricity and magnetism and the learning process, so I'll be excited to be a lab rat for the roll out of distance testing for HAM licenses.

Since HAM certification's a possibility now I'll not pursue the CB, but I'll look forward to applying antenna theory to HAM frequencies.

The feedback is appreciated!

Also look at MURS for a license free alternative to amateur radio. It will easily cover the distances you are working with.

I'm only gonna say this, for clarity and truth. "In the case of an emergency, ANY form of communication is not illegal".....

But have to add, that it truly does have to constitute an emergency BEFORE any leniency is granted. By receivers OR authorities. Good luck, and continue on your quest. You're doing it right.

Reactions: rockmyglock