• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns hammer vs striker ( need input )

Francqua

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Portland, OR
I'm looking to pick up a handgun(my first). Need input from the wise and learned here on SH. Looking for make/model info..
Spec's I'm interested in:
1) 9mm
2) external safety...in <span style="font-weight: bold">addition</span> to a tigger(glock style)safety
3) minimum 10 rds...more is ok
4) hammer configuration(unless my info is off)...I would like be able to de-cock an unspent round. Understand that that is not possible with a "striker" type handgun. (is that correct or not?)
5)mid-size / compact..would like to CC..but want to be able to wrap pinky finger.

Re: hammer vs striker ( need input )

Glock 19 would be my first & second choice. It's about the perfect size. Going to buy my second one today & I used to always bash Glocks till I actually tried a Gen4.
If you absolute must have a manual safety you can actually put one on the Glock, It's the Cominolli manual safety kit: http://cominolli.com/product_info.php?cP...hovpdvvs74tqpb6
Its easy to install, works great & you can remove it once you figure out you don't need it.

My 3rd choice would be a Walther PPQ.

Taurus offers a model that is striker fired with decock and safety. I think it's part of the 24/7 line.

In the original line of xd's I believe you could get the option of a thumb safety on the 45. Maybe on 9 too?

My advise would be to go and handle several models of hammer & striker fired weapons and see which one you like best. I started with a list very similar to yours and ended up with an XDM because of the fit and ergo's of the way the gun was set up. My 2nd choice was going to be a SIG 229 elite (did not like DA/SA) and my 3rd a Glock (did not like the mag release or the way it pointed).

I found it very beneficial to handle (and fire) several different weapons. Try the de-cocker, the mag release, the fit. Does it point for you or not...learn the weapon system well enough to make your own decision.

Walther P99s have decockers. There are other striker fired pistols with them as well. I don't really see a point in external safeties on DA or trigger safety equipped pistols, but that's just me, however I'd venture the industry doesn't see much either, wanting both in one gun will severely limit your options.

Good luck, interested to see what you find.

beretta 92 it has:

9mm

decocker

safety

15+1

hammer fired DA/SA

it wont coneal very well though.

I believe the Beretta PX4 Storm has the same specs as the 92 as well. They make a compact and subcompact model as well. Just holds a tad less rounds.

I'll be looking hard at the Storm come next gun show, between that and a Sig P938, college budget nags though....

drew, if you want a dedicated carry gun, get the sig 938. my wife and i both have one. it is nice and small.

You need to either forget the manual thumb safety (advised), or put an aftermarket thumb safety on a Glock 19.

Small enough to CC, large enough its not a "little" gun.

Striker-fired, but automatically decocks when you take your finger off the trigger. You'll never forget to decock.

15+1 standard capacity

Awesome all around pistol....a no brainer

I do suggest you rethink the manual safety though.

m&p 9mm. they make a model with a thumb safety. forget about s/a d/a. striker fired is the way to go if you can only have one. but with that said, this is just your first pistol, not your ONLY pistol
wink.gif

Oh i've had my eye on it for awhile, love the thing, just not the price. The PX4 Compact is about as similiar as I'm gonna get in my price range ($500). Sure not 1911 style but i can save up for a real one further down the road.

Why do you feel the need for a trigger safety?

My wife wants to get a handgun as well (God bless her...she is finally coming around!). She works evenings in downtown Portland (it is well past time for some protection..we have been lucky so far) She has zero, zip, nada knowledge of ANY style of firearm. I felt that an extra layer of protection is worth it, while she learns the basics.

It's a better case for buying and using a quality holster.

The author even admitted he had been aware of the holsters "crease" wear the leather had gotten mushy.

A manual safety may have saved the day, or perhaps his worn out holster would have twisted just right and knocked the safety off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a better case for buying and using a quality holster.</div></div>

+ 1 frickin' billion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a better case for buying and using a quality holster.</div></div>

+ 1 frickin' billion. </div></div>

I saw a post last week from a guy whos buddy shot himself in the leg with his glock during a 3 gun match. He reholster his glock and some shirt got into his holster, when he went to shoot his rifle his shirt tightened and discharged his glock. Bullet ripped all the way down his hamstring.

All guns are inherently dangerous, certain care and respect are needed when handling them. But I think some are inherently more dangerous due to their design.

Im not the guy that thinks you have to have a safety on all your handguns. I think da/sa guns like sigs, or revolvers are safer to carry than a striker fired gun with no safety.

Its all about trigger weight to me, a stock glock is somewhere around 6lbs. A stock sig has a DA pull of around 10lbs. I doubt that a crappy holster can pull a 10lb trigger and cause a ND, or a shirt getting caught in the holster can pull a 10lb trigger.

I really dont see, nor have I ever heard of a da /sa gun with no safety involved in a ND that didnt involve the owner putting his booger hook on the go button, or he/she carrying SA. Same thing for wheel guns.

I like striker fired guns ruger sr, xds, glocks, m&ps, but I will only carry one that has a thumb safety. If you train for it and have a consistent battery of arms with other handguns you own sweeping a thumb safety off on a draw isnt a problem.

Seeing this makes me remember something my grandfather used to tell me as a kid. PAY ATTENTION!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a better case for buying and using a quality holster.</div></div>

+ 1 frickin' billion. </div></div>

What they said.
In my opinion, the more safeties, buttons and whistles you have on your gun the more chances you have to fuck up under stress. Specially when drawing from concealment.

If you think a 10lb trigger will save you from the folly of a shit holster, you are kidding yourself. 10lbs is nothing. You spent several hundred bucks on a quality firearm, spend 75 on a quality holster.

Your finger is the safety 100% of the time.. NEVER rely on any mechanical device as a safety. The example of the guy shooting himself is b/c he was not paying attention. Safeties can give you an inherent false sense of security allowing you to let your guard down. If you start relying on mechanical safeties, you are training yourself for an AD down the road. Think of a guy on a sportbike riding it at over 100mph w/ a helmet on.. just b/c you have the helmet on you tend to take more chances b/c you have a false sense of security.

If you pay attention to detail and don't have a crappy holster, you won't have problems with shooting yourself holstering a striker fired, no manual safety gun.

If you train with any reasonable frequency and round count, you won't have an issue drawing and flicking the safety off as part of presentation.

In the last couple of years I have gone from a stance of "revolvers are essentially worthless" to believing that they perhaps have a place. This place is with people who won't train with frequency but want to carry a gun. Quality semi-autos are extremely reliable these days. They can go thousands of rounds without cleaning or malfunction as has been demonstrated with a variety of brands. What happens when one does occur though? An untrained shooter will probably lock up and lose valuable time in a life-or-death encounter.

Thats a long way of saying you should consider adding revolvers to your list of consideration. If you are dead set on a semi-auto I'd probably consider an M&P with manual safety and drop the hammer requirement from the list.

I have narrowed the field down to Taurus and S&W. The Sig's and Springfield's (really like)are way out of my budget. No go on Beretta, Walther, or Glock.
Looking hard at the Taurus 809C and 24/7 G2 compact in 9mm.
The S&W M&P 9c is outside of budget...not as far out as those listed above...but more than I want to spend. I would rather get a kit (mags, cleaner, speed loader, etc) and/or some training.
Your thoughts on my short list??
Only problem now..is to find somebody that Actually has one in stock. Suggestions?

I have no first hand experience with Taurus, but I don't have much faith in the brand. M&Ps have repeatedly demonstrated reliability in a variety of hands including my own. I haven't seen the same performance out of Taurus. Between an M&P and any Taurus, I'd choose an M&P every time.

Well...it's done now. I went hog wild and got two Taurus. One of the 809c's for myself; and a 24/7 G2 compact for my wife. Both are 9mm. Ever since that nut job went and shot 3 people at a nearby mall (2 folks are in a Much better place, God rest their souls); handguns and ammo and anything AR are flying off the shelf. Ammo for 9mm is getting as hard to find as chicken teeth! Wife likes her new 24/7..yes
Wife asked if her 24/7 could be pink! Crap, I just bought hers in all black! Do they even make pink Taurus 24/7? Did a bit of target practice this afternoon with the 809c..she points real good. More to follow later.

took the new Taurus 809c out to for a bit of practice (first time out with new gun); found an unsuspecting frying pan sitting in some trash. Only second time to ever fire a handgun; honestly thought I did ok.
Pic in photo section : First practice with new handgun.

Got to learn how to post pic inside of thread.

A manual safety and trigger safety both is a pretty tough sell, i dont know of any.

In my opinion, the trigger safety is irrelevant, it does nothing. If you pull the trigger, then the gun fires trigger safety or not. If you don't pull the trigger, then the gun doesn't fire, trigger safety or not. So what does the trigger safety do?