• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hand held spotting scope.

gunhappy_ie

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2010
Ireland
Hey guys, im looking for ideas on a small hand held observation monocular.

Waterproof is a must. Something like the Vortex Solo... if it had a MOLLE case to accach to a chest rig then all the better.

Cheers.

GH

Re: Hand held spotting scope.

As far as I know Vortex is the best option. Although I would go for the Recon R/T just for the extra power and ranging reticle. I would have gotten one by now if they would only option an MOA reticle.

I have found handheld spotting scopes are REALLY tough to hold still enough to be useful

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I know Vortex is the best option. Although I would go for the Recon R/T just for the extra power and ranging reticle. I would have gotten one by now if they would only option an MOA reticle. </div></div>

Thanks for the fast reply.

I was looking at reviews of the R/T alright, they look good and have an attractive price. Just wanted to see if theres anything else out thing though

GH

if a recticle is not a requirement

nikon 13-30 x50 ED 16.6 oz

i would say that everything with a magnification of more than 10x is challenging to hold steady enough with 'hand-held' only to be of any use.

I have the Vortex monocular and for what it is and the price it is excellent, I've completely beat the hell out of mine and it's still in great shape. I've used it for about everything you can imagine, locating targets at matches, watching deer/turkeys/yotes, it never leaves my truck it's just that handy. You can't ask for more performance for $100 bucks.

One thing you will NOT do with it is range accurately while holding it. You have a chance if you can put it on the hood or window seal of your truck or the rack of your 4-wheeler but even then your results will be suspect.

I keep wanting to buy one of the Vortex but always talk myself out of it. Its the best bang for the buck though.

i use the vortex solo r/t for spotting long shots on the pistol range or when shooting rimfire. i feel its only drawback is the small mil scale reticle which is difficult to use for shot adjustment.