• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handguard/Bipod Recommendations

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
I've done a search, but didn't find any such reviews/recommendations on handguards.

Think F-Class AR. Still piecing it together, but what I have so far:

Krieger 24" 223 Wylde SS Barrel Heavy VarMatch
PRS Stock
Geiselle Hi-Speed national Match trigger
Legions Billet Lower
(Whenever they get the damn things back in stock) Legions Billet Upper Receiver (Nickel Boron coated)
Nickel Boron BCG
(Yet to buy) Vortex Viper PST 6-24x MIL/MIL w/ Seekins Rings

And no idea as to what bipod or handguard to go with. This is my first precision-focused rifle.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments/recommendations pertaining to any aspect of my rifle. Also, if there are links I've missed that would be helpful, some course-correction would be great.

Upper: You want something super stiff. I'd recommend against the Legion upper and instead suggest something where they deliberately went for a thick, stiff receiver with no regard to weight.
Options are:
Mega Heavy Duty Billet Upper (The octagonal shaped one)
SunDevil Billet Upper
Rainier Ultramatch (Doesn't seem to be as stiff as the above two though)

Personally I'd go for Mega if for no other reason than I like their other stuff. You can get it coated with Nickel Boron over at WMDGuns.com

You can also go for a monolithic upper, since having the integrated handguard should increase stiffness too.

Handguard: I *think* you want something super long so you can get the bipod out as far as possible? If so AP Custom USA may be able to make you a custom length handguard that's very light:
AP Custom USA

Their handguards use mechanical instead of adhesive means to secure the handguard so no need to worry about that.

If not that, then I would get a Noveske NSR, though those top out at 13.5" long?

Bipod: I hear *very* good things about the Atlas Bipod, that it's better than the Harris, though that's mostly from a real world tactical type usage. Not sure if there's a different go to bipod for competitions.

Other stuff- Trigger looks great. Krieger is great too. I would suggest getting a *clamp on* gas block; places ive read have said that pinning the gas block can cause deformation in the bore and decrease accuracy.

Thanks for the info. MEGA oem's legions stuff. Is the heavy duty a specific model? Pretty sure it's the same.

I would say the handguard would be rifle length (as in comparison to carbine , mid length tubes), and would have atleast a railed top for shits and giggles... just in case you wanted to mount something for some stupid reason.... never hurts to have a railed top....

as for the bipod, if you can afford it.. atlas all the way... next step down would be a swivel harris 6-9" bipod.

Thanks for the info. MEGA oem's legions stuff. Is the heavy duty a specific model? Pretty sure it's the same.

I'd opt for a VLTOR MUR upper receiver and a Noveske NSR fore-end/handguard. The MUR is super rigid, while the NSR will save a ton of weight and allow you a bottom mounting point for your bipod. The NSR has a continuous RIS on top, but no rails on the sides or bottom - it does mounting points to attach extra rails where you want them. I just got a Noveske N4 MUR+NSR upper this past Christmas and I'm very impressed at the weight savings without an apparent loss of integrity.

Any hand guards with no rail? I won't need to mount anything other than a bipod. I do appreciate the help.

Any hand guards with no rail? I won't need to mount anything other than a bipod. I do appreciate the help.

There's several handguards without rails, but they usually don't come with mountable rail sections. How are you planning to mount the bipod to the rail? Drill holes and bolt a picatinny section on?

I'd seriously suggest the NSR rail for your purposes. It has a top rail only, but it allows attachment of rail sections and other accessories optionally anywhere else. This would allow you to mount a small picatinny rail on the forward end of the underside of the handguard for your bipod, with room for other attachments later if you wanted. It is VERY light.

617355.jpg

Not bipod.guard related but I would think that a SFP scope would fit you better for Fclass. I would recomend the NF BR if dedicated bullseye target gun.

Good luck, great componets so far. I bet it will be a shooter.

Not bipod.guard related but I would think that a SFP scope would fit you better for Fclass. I would recomend the NF BR if dedicated bullseye target gun.

Good luck, great componets so far. I bet it will be a shooter.

Why SFP? Everything I've read so far was making me think I wanted to go with FFP for simplicity's sake.

Because you will be shooting targets of known size at known range, and shooting for score as opposed to shooting for hits. Known distance means that you won't need to "mil" anything and the SFP scope will likely give you a finer cross hair at high mag to make those precision shots in the "x ring." Also, you can generally get more scope for less money with an SFP model.

I have the JP modular rail. I have no rail sections attached, though there are lots of lengths you can get. I attach the bipod to a stud that screws into one of the mounting holes. I like the JP tube -- more grippable than a quad rail.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I like the look of the jp rail. And the longer rail sections. The others look good as well.

Sugarbug, we have an outstanding F-Class forum here on the Hide, lots of great information being shared by some if the nations top F-class shooters. So you have decided to shoot F/TR, top quality upper and lower with some meat on it is a prerequisite as already mentioned, a quality bcg, Kreiger barrel, 1-7 twist as long as possible 24 to 26 inches, check out Frank White at CLE. A quality trigger, Geissele is simply outstanding, as for buttstock, PRS provides a wide range of adjustment, but it doesn't work for everyone. Scope, second focal plane, 1/8 moa adjustments for elevation works best, more magnification than you think you will need 40-50x, pick a reticle that works for you, you might need a riser with built in moa if you plan for 1000. I use a Centershot sled type bipod as far as out as possible, if you know anyone that has machine skills to make you an extra long forearm rail 20+, to push that bipod out there. YHM makes a semi smooth which isn't bad. For advice research, read, ask questions, you are on the right track, but keep researching before you buy.

Because you will be shooting targets of known size at known range, and shooting for score as opposed to shooting for hits. Known distance means that you won't need to "mil" anything and the SFP scope will likely give you a finer cross hair at high mag to make those precision shots in the "x ring." Also, you can generally get more scope for less money with an SFP model.

Yes, you can get a Nightforce Benchrest Model 12x42 with the double dot or a fine crosshair for the same money as many of the "budget" FFP scopes and it will be basically as good of a scope as you will ever need. In fact, the only one I have is the actual one that set the world record 1000 yd IBS benchrest so I would say its good enough.

Yep, the Heavy Duty is a specific model.
http://megaarms.com/ar-15/upper-receivers/billet-uppers/sbu-billet-upper-wo-ch-slot/

As you can see, it weighs 13.4oz, vs Mega's standard billet upper which weighs only 9.4oz
http://megaarms.com/ar-15/upper-receivers/billet-uppers/standard-billet-upper/

which means it's got an entire quarter pound of extra material.

The Vltor MUR is about 9.6oz complete, with FA and dust cover (I believe). This means Mega's heavy duty upper's got a big advantage over the well regarded MUR as well, since the already large weight advantage isn't including a forward assist or dust cover.

In RE to your handguard, the NSR is a wonderful choice as everyone's been recommending. A lighter alternative is APcustomusa.com's carbon fiber handguards
AP Custom USA (Add 2.0oz to the weights listed to account for the mil-spec barrel nut used)
You'll have to specify a custom build with rail mount slots at 3,6,9,12 o'clock (no charge, last I checked). It mounts mechanically like most other handguards. I'd ask for matte carbon fiber so it's not all shiny and stuff.

Talking on rigidity... Do you think it is as critical in an 223 build? We're not talking nearly the force as a 308 rifle.

Another for the NSR. Rogtac has the 16.7" rail and midwayusa has the 13.5"

Noveske NSR-16.7 Handguard - Upper Parts

Noveske NSR Keymod Customizable Free Float Handguard AR-15 Aluminum

Good luck!

I may be going with this one. Thank you for the link!

Sugarbug, we have an outstanding F-Class forum here on the Hide, lots of great information being shared by some if the nations top F-class shooters. So you have decided to shoot F/TR, top quality upper and lower with some meat on it is a prerequisite as already mentioned, a quality bcg, Kreiger barrel, 1-7 twist as long as possible 24 to 26 inches, check out Frank White at CLE. A quality trigger, Geissele is simply outstanding, as for buttstock, PRS provides a wide range of adjustment, but it doesn't work for everyone. Scope, second focal plane, 1/8 moa adjustments for elevation works best, more magnification than you think you will need 40-50x, pick a reticle that works for you, you might need a riser with built in moa if you plan for 1000. I use a Centershot sled type bipod as far as out as possible, if you know anyone that has machine skills to make you an extra long forearm rail 20+, to push that bipod out there. YHM makes a semi smooth which isn't bad. For advice research, read, ask questions, you are on the right track, but keep researching before you buy.

Been looking for the YHM 20" you mentioned, but I can't even find it on their website. Can you help point me in the right direction?

Sugarbug, my suggestion was if you knew anyone with some machine skills to make one 20 or longer, i think it makes a more stable platform when the bipod is pushed further out.YHM rifle semi smooth is about 13 inches.

Yes, you can get a Nightforce Benchrest Model 12x42 with the double dot or a fine crosshair for the same money as many of the "budget" FFP scopes and it will be basically as good of a scope as you will ever need. In fact, the only one I have is the actual one that set the world record 1000 yd IBS benchrest so I would say its good enough.

Went to an FPR match at 600y today. Lots of the NF 12-42x42 in attendance. Definitely going to be going with it when I can pull the money together. Thank you for the recommendation.

I had a YHM customizable free float rifle length tube on my last AR15 build and didn't care for it. the thing would come loose occasionally and I had one of the holes in the barrel nut break out on me while trying to torque it down properly. YMMV but on a target rifle I wanted to be competitive with, I would look for something better quality.