• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Handgun that handles like a glock

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I'm looking for a a new handgun that handles as closely as possible to a glock. I love the feel of the glocks, but everyone I know has one, and I'm trying to be different.

I currently own an XD and XDM, which are similar to the feel but for whatever reason, I'm incredibly inaccurate with the both of them. I should note I'm not very good with the glocks either. I've tried a Sig 226, and while I shot considerably more accurately with it, it just didn't feel right in my hands. I also tried a 92fs with similar results. I'm thinking I should get something with a hammer. I'm looking for suggestions for a handgun in the sub-$1000 range with the high grip angle and feel of the glock. Metal frame with a hammer is prefered.

Is it odd that the guns that point most naturally for me and are most confortable for me are the ones I shoot the worst?

Re: Handgun that handles like a glock

Everyone has a Glock for a reason. Get a Glock.
wink.gif

I'm not a huge fan of the Glock pistols, but because of the feel in my hand and the asthetics. Not because of anything faulty with the pistol.

If I had the money, I'd get a Sig P226 Elite in .40. Blued metal and deep crimson wood grips. My dream pistol.

The best handgun that feels like a Glock is a Glock, so if you want that feeling get one, as for the HS2000(200 dollar pistol renamed XD) if you can't shoot one of those well you need to change something in your pistol routine, Glocks HKs Sigs XDs M&Ps all shoot about the same, to say one is more accurite than the others is a misconception, but some people can just shoot XXX better than the rest.

The grip angle on the glock is a bit differant that alot of other pistols. If i shoot a couple hundred rounds though my Glock then instantly transition to a 1911 , HK or Sig i have to make sure to use both sites or i will shoot way high.
The only pistol that i can transition to and not have a huge adjustment to make is my Ruger MK-II

you may be able to adjust nanother pistols grip angle in your hand with a backstrap addition

Glock is the best answer, get one of the OD or EXO coated guns if you want to be different from your friends.

Otherwise take a look at the FN FNX-9 or a Browning Hi-Power.

Just bolt a short chunk of 2X4 on any pistol's grip frame and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">voila</span></span>...instant glock ergonomics.
grin.gif

M&P is a good choice. I have a G27 but I like the ergonomics of my M&P 40c. I have been carrying it more lately. For some reason I shoot a compact model in either brand better than a fullsize version. I think you would like the M&P line.

If try a 1911 in 9mm you may like it. The S&W M&P with a tuned trigger is a joy to shoot as well.

A Kahr very similar to the smaller glocks, I have had 3 Kahrs all shot exceptionally well. Then lend themselves IMHO better for cancealled carry they are a little bit thinner all though they do not carry as many rounds. The actual firing of one feels very similar to a glock. I have had the smaller .357 sig. and the 10 mm glocks.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the hi-power a shot. A buddy of mine has one that I can try out. I've tried the M&Ps and 1911s and didn't like the angle as much as the glock or XD.

Can't help you on the "is like a glock but with an exposed hammer and metal frame part"

But everything else you described screams Smith and Wesson M&P to me. You get one in 9mm and throw the appropriate sized backstrap grip piece in place, and provided you are doing the rest of your fundamentals of marksmanship correctly, you will be rock n' roll brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice, I'll give the hi-power a shot. A buddy of mine has one that I can try out. I've tried the M&Ps and 1911s and didn't like the angle as much as the glock or XD. </div></div>

Oh and then I went back and read this. Oops. Kindly disregard my last.

I'll give the M&P another shot tomorrow since I'll be at the range with him. I'm considering just doing a trigger job on the XDM though.

The only people I know that try to "be different" are the knuckleheads that dye their hair green, put 36" SuperSwampers on their poser commuter trucks, or think that their Mosin Nagant with 24X scope makes them a sniper ninja. If the Glock works well for you than why would you even look for anything else? If you really want to be different, be able to run that Glock better than anyone else you know. There is no lack of gear queer equipment for the "different" folk out there, but there is a definite lack of finely tuned marksmanship among the shooting population.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a a new handgun that handles as closely as possible to a glock. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I love the feel of the glo</span>cks</span>, but everyone I know has one, and I'm trying to be different.

I currently own an XD and XDM, which are similar to the feel but for whatever reason, I'm incredibly inaccurate with the both of them. I should note I'm not very good with the glocks either. I've tried a Sig 226, and while I shot considerably more accurately with it, it just didn't feel right in my hands. I also tried a 92fs with similar results. I'm thinking I should get something with a hammer. I'm looking for suggestions for a handgun in the sub-$1000 range with the high grip angle and feel of the glock. Metal frame with a hammer is prefered.

Is it odd that the guns that point most naturally for me and are most confortable for me are the ones I shoot the worst? </div></div>

There is a reason that a lot of people have one. You love the feel of them, Get a Glock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvedrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">find a good "smith" and have a custom built......

start by ditching that plastic frame and go for solid metal...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24303/Product/ALL_METAL_FRAMES_for_GLOCK_reg_ </div></div>

I have one of these stainless steel CCF Race Frames and it works great. The added weight makes the Glock 35 slide recoil like a 9mm and a Glock 34 slide recoils like a .22LR. Due to recent economics though, I may need to sell it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only people I know that try to "be different" are the knuckleheads that dye their hair green, put 36" SuperSwampers on their poser commuter trucks, or think that their Mosin Nagant with 24X scope makes them a sniper ninja. If the Glock works well for you than why would you even look for anything else? If you really want to be different, be able to run that Glock better than anyone else you know. There is no lack of gear queer equipment for the "different" folk out there, but there is a definite lack of finely tuned marksmanship among the shooting population.</div></div>

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't perform well with a glock? Did much better with other pistols despite feeling unnatural.

Shot the M&P today along with a Glock 17, Sig 226, and my own XDs. Didn't like the ergonomics of the M&P. When I held it up, it pointed into the ground, making me take that extra bit of time to adjust and even then didn't feel comfortable. Didn't shoot well with it either. The Glock and XD both felt the same and shot the same: terrible. Something with me just doesn't get along with them despite the feeling natural in my hands.

I shot considerably more accurately with the Sig, but hated the ergonomics of it.

I may give a USP a try, I've never shot one, but handled one in a store and it felt nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot the M&P today along with a Glock 17, Sig 226, and my own XDs. Didn't like the ergonomics of the M&P. When I held it up, it pointed into the ground, making me take that extra bit of time to adjust and even then didn't feel comfortable. Didn't shoot well with it either. The Glock and XD both felt the same and shot the same: terrible. Something with me just doesn't get along with them despite the feeling natural in my hands.

I shot considerably more accurately with the Sig, but hated the ergonomics of it. </div></div>

I'm thinking that the problem is not with the equipment, it's with the shooter.
Get some instruction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't like the ergonomics of the M&P. When I held it up, it pointed into the ground, </div></div>

Not quite sure how that phenomenon occurs…

In all seriousness though, perhaps seeking some instruction and hands-on shooting time under close mentorship is going to be the most economic route to take.

You’ve put the kibosh on a bunch of handguns that are known to work fine for lots of folks. With some training, and maybe some altering of the grip of a polymer frame pistol, you might find yourself more successful with far less trial and error purchases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bolt a short chunk of 2X4 on any pistol's grip frame and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">voila</span></span>...instant glock ergonomics.
grin.gif
</div></div>

THIS! ^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot the M&P today along with a Glock 17, Sig 226, and my own XDs. Didn't like the ergonomics of the M&P. When I held it up, it pointed into the ground, making me take that extra bit of time to adjust and even then didn't feel comfortable. Didn't shoot well with it either. The Glock and XD both felt the same and shot the same: terrible. Something with me just doesn't get along with them despite the feeling natural in my hands.

I shot considerably more accurately with the Sig, but hated the ergonomics of it. </div></div>

I'm thinking that the problem is not with the equipment, it's with the shooter.
Get some instruction.
</div></div>

I agree I could use more instruction (I always welcome more instruction). I'm not really a handgun shooter so I figured if I were only going to have one (or two) it might as well be one I feel is confortable with and accurate with. Right now I've shot ones that are either one, but not the other.

Being adept at multiple types is obviously much better. But I'd rather be good with one handgun and spend the rest of my money on rifle ammo =).

Maybe you'd be happy with a single stack 1911.

That would satisfy the "metal frame and visible hammer" requirement, and just making a rough judgment call based on off the guns whose grips you disagree with, I think you want a real slim grip with a shorter "reach" to the trigger - hence a single action only pistol.

Now as for that being a handgun that "handles like a glock" - yeah probably not ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breachers Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would satisfy the "metal frame and visible hammer" requirement, and just making a rough judgment call based on off the guns whose grips you disagree with, I think you want a real slim grip with a shorter "reach" to the trigger - hence a single action only pistol.
</div></div>

Good call, I didn't think about before but that basically sums it up. I've shot 1911s before, but I'll give it another try.

Buy whatever feels best in your hand and learn how to shoot it well. Can't go wrong. For me, I HATE Glocks, and the typical 9mm offerings make me want to vomit that they are so over done. We had one in 10mm a while ago and I shot as well with that as every other pistol i've ever shot. But I hated every second of it. Switched back to XD's and 1911's and shooting became fun again. They just feel right for me, so that's why I shoot them. And even if they shot like crap for me, I'd just learn how to shoot them instead of going on a quest to find something that magically shoots well for me. Your XD feels right in your hand, learn how to drive it properly. JMHO