• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harbor Freight Pelican Case Alternative

Colorado S14

Pushing the Limits of Spontaneous Combustion
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Denver, CO
www.youtube.com
Gents (and ladies), was at Harbor Freight over the weekend and saw they had a variety of Pelican case clones. Quality seemed to be pretty good and for the price they are certainly worth considering. It appeared they run deals on them from time to time as well, most were 20% off at the location in Aurora, CO when I was there.

Apache Cases

Wish they had a smaller size than the 50”. 35-42” would be great

Reactions: Colorado S14
I just got an ad in my email for the same case. $109 makes it at least a little tempting.

1549510920139.png

Last edited:
Have a friend who buys those Apache cases. He would openly admit to the Pelican being bett, and that hes just "cheap". There is no doubt they work, but I highly doubt they will work as well, or as long, as a Pelican

• Haha
Reactions: Genesis1984
Have a friend who buys those Apache cases. He would openly admit to the Pelican being bett, and that hes just "cheap". There is no doubt they work, but I highly doubt they will work as well, or as long, as a Pelican
A pelican should last a lifetime. I don't see these things falling apart unless exposed to some serious wear and tear. I'd go apache if I were spending my money.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I can't find it now, but I thought I saw pics in some other forum of broken wheels on that Apache case within a month or so of purchase. Agree the Pelican Vault linked above for $200 would be worth the extra cost.

Sam's wholesale also back in the fall had pelican knockoffs for like$75 they ended up clearancing them out for like $35. Its worth looking for them in the fall since they are a seasonal item or if your lucky in their clearance section I know I got about 3-4 of them back before Christmas.

Another awesome find at harbor freight is the Sonic cleaner for brass... Amazing for the price.

Reactions: HogsLife
I got the Peak case from MPA. It was 400, and not as good as my storm case. I love the interior, but 400???

Considering what's inside some of my Pelicans, as well as a lot of others here I'm sure, I'm not concerned about a $100-$200 difference, to me. Just my .02$ worth, to each their own. That is why I wear Vanson leathers and only Arai helmets when I ride motorcycles. YMMV.

You know all helmets must pass the same safety test and when they study moto gp riders they found no difference in concussions between helmets right. Do you replace your Aria if it gets dropped or every five years?

Really? Are you going to compare an Aria helmet to some DOT legal low cost helmet? It is your head, but mine is worth more to me than that. My rifle is amazing, but not the same as my mush. I happen to be a Shoei guy, but it wasn't based on cost.

Considering what's inside some of my Pelicans, as well as a lot of others here I'm sure, I'm not concerned about a $100-$200 difference, to me. Just my .02$ worth, to each their own. That is why I wear Vanson leathers and only Arai helmets when I ride motorcycles. YMMV.

Certainly if you’re carrying a $5k+ rig why skimp and try and save $100 on a case to protect the investment. Imagine getting off the plane at your hunting destination only to find a broken case and something wrong with your rifle/optic. #iwishiboughtapelican

Reactions: sabrecross
You know all helmets must pass the same safety test and when they study moto gp riders they found no difference in concussions between helmets right. Do you replace your Aria if it gets dropped or every five years?
Yes and yes. I had a relatively new Shoei helmet accidentally knocked off of my old Ducati by someone just not paying attention, on to the asphalt. Minor scratch, had to wear it home, and ordered another one that night. You also have Dot and Snell tests which have different standards, Auto and Motorcycle ratings, and different International tests as well.

I should have posted I wear an Arai because the Vector 2 fits my head better than any other, so far. Going to the Progressive bike show in DC on Sunday and am going to try on a bunch of new helmets to see if anythings' changed. As stated, I have worn Shoei, also Suomy and would wear an AGV as well. Look at what a lot of the Isle of Man TT riders wear, IMHO the most dangerous road race in the world. Those riders wear what they feel is the best for them. I see mostly Arai, Shoei and AGV. No matter what, ANY helmet is better than none. All the best to you.

Juts got two ... I don’t fly with my guns and for the price I rather buy food for my rifles vs something which doesn’t make me shoot better.

This said, I can always use them for non match grade guns.

Here is another option, met a guy at the range with one of these, unbelievable case for the price. It was a little bit softer and more flexible plastic than a Pelican but once it is locked down it is very stable.

Yes I do. In the case of the 5 year thing I actually don't have a choice because I am not allowed to race with an out of date helmet, but I have also thrown my Arai's out when they have been dropped or hit the ground. Not gonna risk it when it comes to the safety of my noggin.

Also, you do know that there are different kinds of helmet certifications and standards and not all helmets are put through the same tests. To name a few there is DOT, Snell, and ECE, and withing those certifications there are different levels. I would love to see the study you are referencing if it exists. Seriously, I would find it interesting.

• Haha

Not sure exactly how this is a helmet talk but your statement is not true. DOT does not require testing of all helmet models. It's a certification on the manufacturer and they trust that the manufacturer is doing good product development and testing. DOT does do random sampling testing so there is a chance that a DOT helmet was actually tested but not guaranteed.

Also, Arai will test your crashed or dropped helmet if you just pay shipping. They inspect it and put it through an x-ray to see if the foam has been compromised. This is what I did in my racing days, not sure if they still do this or not. If you drop a helmet it might be junk. You can do a quick visual by removing the liner and inspecting the foam for cracks or discoloration that indicates a crack under the surface. The foam is coated with something that is intended to do this. If you can't tell then don't trust it until you have it scanned. I learned this from an Arai inspector.

Reactions: shoobe01 and TACC
Yes I do. In the case of the 5 year thing I actually don't have a choice because I am not allowed to race with an out of date helmet, but I have also thrown my Arai's out when they have been dropped or hit the ground. Not gonna risk it when it comes to the safety of my noggin.

Also, you do know that there are different kinds of helmet certifications and standards and not all helmets are put through the same tests. To name a few there is DOT, Snell, and ECE, and withing those certifications there are different levels. I would love to see the study you are referencing if it exists. Seriously, I would find it interesting.

I remember reading a study years back that found that on average ECE rated helmets were better at reducing internal brain trauma. I believe that the SNELL standards at the time led to a higher force transfer but resulted in a stiffer helmet that may withstand trauma better. The updated 2015 Snell standards are closer to ECE 22.05 I believe.

Revzilla has a good breakdown:

Sharp does actual testing, but don't forget that they test European helmets which often differ from the US version:

I have also thrown my Arai's out when they have been dropped or hit the ground. Not gonna risk it when it comes to the safety of my noggin.

See my post above. If they still do this, you can have Arai inspect it for free. It's been a while but it's worth checking into.

See my post above. If they still do this, you can have Arai inspect it for free. It's been a while but it's worth checking into.

I will ask the guys at the service pavilion about this thank you. I had heard of this being done but honestly unless I just knocked it off a table or something I think I would probably just retire the helmet if it touches the ground in a crash rather than bother with sending it in just for peace of mind. Still though good to keep in mind.

Colorado S14 thanks for the article links always like to read up on this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomic41
Just a heads up if you land on a new employee this DOES work. If the case is ever on sale without a coupon you can add a 20% coupon on top of it and it WILL work. I purchase a regular case that was on sale without a coupon. Employee will always saw sicne its on sale the coupon on top of it will not work. But I asked one guy to try the 20% on top and it does take it on top of it. Just a heads up.

Two coupons stacked does not work but a sale item and coupon on top does!

I use an "Apache" 5800 case with the roller wheels for electronic equipment. Pretty robust for the price, and it does what I need.

Call Brack at Patriot Cases in NC. He can custom make you a high quality case at a very reasonable price. I had two made last year for travel to PRS/NRL matches. Top shelf experience in every way.

Dan
NC

Attachments

• 20180908_123807-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180908_123807-COLLAGE.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Haha
Had mine for around a year now. Really like it. No problems, very durable, waterproof.