• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hard rifle case

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
I have been looking at Pelican, Storm Case, Plano, and several other brands for a good solid hard case. What dose everyone thing of these brands or others? Please let me know what you have and why you like it and why you would recomend it.

Thanks for the advise,
Sean

Re: hard rifle case

What would be a good price for a Storm with a inside length of 50"?

Pelican 1750.

Why? It was the first rifle travel vault case that had wheels and it has been great so far. I got 2 of them. No complaints.

We've been selling the Boyt Tactical 51"x15"x6" hard case for $199 - same features as the Storm, but with draw latches and a lower price.

The 44" model below is almost identical in appearance:

H44_Angle.jpg

Also look at the skb cases. I got one of the Mill Standard double case and love it. I have Pelican and Starlight cases as well, but the skb is the only one I can put my really long guns in.
Picture224Small.jpg

I have several different hard cases including Pelican, Storm, Starlight and others. They are all excellent products...just find one for the best price that meets your needs the closest and buy it.

I looked at one of the Boyt Tactical cases earlier this month and they appear to be another excellent contender in the hard case/travel vault lineup. I didn't buy one because I didn't need one at the time I got to inspect them, but I wouldn't hesitate to try one out.

If you can, I'd try to find one locally depending on your location. S&H on a 20lb+ rifle-length case can get expensive quickly.

I looked at the byot also and like the price, but I have never used or known anyone that has one, I'm just scared of wasting a bunch of money. I love the pelican cases but they are very proud of them and the shipping is crazy. Byot and another brand are sold here locally. I guess I will just have to take the chance and buy one.

At least I can give it a review afterwards

I have been using the same Starlight case for about 5 years. Has held up very well to many airline flights around the country and shipping. It has protected the rifle inside very well. It has taken quite a bit of abuse on the outside. Some pics
P1010067.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

I have a couple of Doskisil cases I use for light duty moving. Like taking a rifle to the range. But Starlight and Pelican are much heavier made. I have 1 each of them. I really like them both. But the cases alone are VERY heavy. If weight is a problem, just at least consider it.

Find a good deal and get one you like, they're all good cases but like VNT said, they're all heavy. They'll make a slightly heavy gun down right irritateing, they're big, bulky and hard to handle. If it weren't for thier need in shipping and travel, I wouldn't own one. I'd much rather spend my money on a good quality drag bag. JMO.

okie

I'm not concerned about the wieght, I just want to have a damn good case to protect my investment. Something that can ride in the back of my truck and I won't have to worry to much about.

If you intend to transport it in the back of an open truck bed, get either a Starlight or Pelican case. Both of these have "O" ring seals and will keep moisture at bay. Or the ones I have do.

If you are using these cases in the field be aware that the foam will pick up moisture.

The one that rides around in my truck has no foam. I throw my rifle into a drag bag and throw the drag bag into the Storm/Pelican case.

The Starlight and Pelican cases I have are lined with closed cell foam. Water just wipes off.

Ok, cool nice tip about checking the foam. I saw a case that had the o ring so that became one of my requirements a few days ago.

Thanks

Pelican or Storm brother, I love my pelican but storm is a close second for a few bucks less. IMHO

Here's a much better deal on a Pelican 1750:

http://www.thenerds.net/PELICAN_ACCESSORIES.Pelican_1750_Shipping_Box.1750000110.html

They have $9.99 flat rate ground shipping, plus enter in coupon code TWITTER10 for a $10 discount, and basically you can get a Pelican 1750 with foam for $182 total. That's a deal!

Hurry though, as they only have two left in stock as of...now! I ordered mine on Sunday and just received it today, only three days later. The only small quirk I had with them is that trying to check up on the order and shipping online resulted in a generic "try again later" message, and they only sent the delivery information earlier today, the same day the package was delivered. But that's a minor thing, and really nothing to complain about, considering the price and fast service.

Hopefully this will prompt others to buy these before I convince myself I need another 1750 case at this great price...
laugh.gif

I need to know where I can get new bottom foam for my Hardigg
im3300 as I am changing rifles to put in it.

Anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to know where I can get new bottom foam for my Hardigg

Anyone? </div></div>

You can find pre-cut foam sets specifically for the IM3300 pretty much anywhere online. But they go for about $70 to $80 plus shipping per set.

Here's a link to an online foam store:
http://www.foambymail.com/packaging.html

You can get any variety, thickness, type, etc., for a lot less, but you will have to cut it yourself to fit the case. But if you're going to cut it anyway, it's the way to go for cost efficiency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kft101</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to know where I can get new bottom foam for my Hardigg

Anyone? </div></div>

You can find pre-cut foam sets specifically for the IM3300 pretty much anywhere online. But they go for about $70 to $80 plus shipping per set.

Here's a link to an online foam store:
http://www.foambymail.com/packaging.html

You can get any variety, thickness, type, etc., for a lot less, but you will have to cut it yourself to fit the case. But if you're going to cut it anyway, it's the way to go for cost efficiency. </div></div>

Here are two distributors that carry Storm:

[email protected]
(585) 271-7860 ask for Keith

RP Luce (800) 445-0002

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kft101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a much better deal on a Pelican 1750:

http://www.thenerds.net/PELICAN_ACCESSORIES.Pelican_1750_Shipping_Box.1750000110.html

They have $9.99 flat rate ground shipping, plus enter in coupon code TWITTER10 for a $10 discount, and basically you can get a Pelican 1750 with foam for $182 total. That's a deal!

Hurry though, as they only have two left in stock as of...now! I ordered mine on Sunday and just received it today, only three days later. The only small quirk I had with them is that trying to check up on the order and shipping online resulted in a generic "try again later" message, and they only sent the delivery information earlier today, the same day the package was delivered. But that's a minor thing, and really nothing to complain about, considering the price and fast service.

Hopefully this will prompt others to buy these before I convince myself I need another 1750 case at this great price...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Thanks!