• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hardwork Small Mountain Buck

hillbillybear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Western North Carolina
Hope everyone had a good day on the Hill. Dad and I had a great time even with the hard work.

The wind this morning was rough blowing first one way then another. I was afraid it was going to ruin the whole hunt. Several deer winded me and took off without offering a shot.

About 8:30 this morning I had made it almost to my favorite sitting log when I heard a buck grunt twice ahead and to the left. I froze and stood as still as I could. About 2-3 minutes later this fat little spike with a small fork at the top of his antlers came up out of the hollow and stopped next to an old snag of a log.

I had about 10 seconds or so to get the rifle up and get set for an offhand shot. As soon as the crosshairs settled behind the shoulder I squeezed the trigger.

He staggered forward about three steps then fell over the side of what we call the "HOLE" and proceeded to slide on the wet leaves all the way to the bottom of the nastiest place on the farm we hunt. Its straight down a Holler about 100 yards on a near 20% grade.

We slipped and slid and cussed our way down to him. The shot had been just right. It clipped the on side shoulder and exited square in the middle of the off side shoulder. All the deer plumbing in between was wrecked. The exit wound was about 1.5 inches in diameter.

We lost about a handful of meat. Gotta love that 120 NBT. :cool: :cool:

Oh, as an aside, the shot was right at 150yards. Not too bad for a fat, bald, half blind man like me shooting offhand. :)

Rifle Info: .280AI built by Mickey Coleman. 700 action, ADL factory stock, Shilen #3 barrel @ 23 inches. Leupold VX3 3.5-10. 120 grain Nosler BT H4350 @ 3,323 fps.

We whacked and got him packed and I started out. It was too steep and too wet to make it out that way with about 85 lbs( I'd say around 150 ish on the hoof) of deer on my back. After I properly busted my ass twice, I went all the way around the back side, up the facing ridge and down over the top back to the spot where I shot him.

We finally got back to the truck about 12:00.

This one is one the hardest jobs getting a deer out I have ever had.

[/quote]

Nice deer, I feel ya'. I had to drag mine over a mile up and down inclines, bout puked when I got back to my Jeep. All part of the adventure, lol.

Post up a pic of the rifle when you have a chance, I have a 7x57 and 7mm mag and have a crazy idea that I need a 280, 280AI, or 7x64.

I do like those 120NBT, even when they are going at reduced load speeds. My kids use them out of a 7x57 and they drop antelope with authority (when we can get close enough)

Not sure if you heard of SPS but they carry Nosler blems and overruns, sometimes more than half price. I just picked up some 168 AB long range for a steal.

Stock changes everyday so you have to check often.

Bullets (BLEM) - Factory Blemished (2nds) - Nosler Products

Post up a pic of the rifle when you have a chance, I have a 7x57 and 7mm mag and have a crazy idea that I need a 280, 280AI, or 7x64.

I do like those 120NBT, even when they are going at reduced load speeds. My kids use them out of a 7x57 and they drop antelope with authority (when we can get close enough)

Not sure if you heard of SPS but they carry Nosler blems and overruns, sometimes more than half price. I just picked up some 168 AB long range for a steal.

Stock changes everyday so you have to check often.

Bullets (BLEM) - Factory Blemished (2nds) - Nosler Products

I have ordered a bunch of bullets from PSP. I Nosler never stops making the 120 BT for the 7MM. It just plain works. I'll see if I have some pictures of the rifle. If not I will have to take some.

Here are a few pictures of the .280AI I took a few years ago ( Most Assuredly I suck as a camera operator :mad: ). In the photos its topped with a 3-12 Nikon Monarch instead of the Leupold VX 3 3.5-10 it currently wears.

The rifle is nothing fancy nor tactical in any degree. Its just a really good hunting rifle. Its a 1982 vintage 700 ADL action that has been trued up and fitted with a 1 in 9 twist #3 Shilen Stainless Steel Matchgrade barrel finished at 23 inches and glass bedded back into the factory wood ADL stock. The scope mounts are Leupold/ Redfield style Burris Signature Steel. It weighs 10 pounds 6 ounces field ready.

The gunsmithing work was done by Mickey Coleman in Greenville, Alabama. Uncle Mickey builds rifles that just plain shoot and he is the easiest fellow to deal with you will ever meet.

The rifle:

Here is a 4 round zero verification target ( I had 4 rounds left on the bench after the initial zeroing of the scope) I shot after putting the VX3 on it (the zero has never bobbled at all since this was shot but I am not a turret cranker). The load is 61.0 grains of H4350 Federal 215 Primer 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in Fireformed Remington cases. The velocity is 3,323 fps.

This load prints around 1 inch at 300 yards and I can easily bust softball sized rocks with it at the 500 yard line from the prone position.

It will also shoot this well or slightly better with the 162 AMAX and IMR 7828 powder.

Last edited: