• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Harris bipod in snow?

nightwalker uk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2008
Anybody have some suggestions of how to stop a bipod sinking in deep snow?

Don't want to use the "long" legged version, and at present use a length of material stretched between the two legs, which is ok to a point, but has anybody else come up with a really good solution?

Cheers

Re: Harris bipod in snow?

A backpack sunken in the snow, a shooting mat, your coat,

just about anything that will keep it a float.

Here in sweden we got a small slead issued to mount to the bipod of the Ksp 58 machinegun to keep it afloat above the snow,

god piece of gear, a bitch to stowe during transport.

In snow I tend to shoot from a pack for the very same reason that you state.

Best regards Chris

Stamp down the snow with boots to compact the snow into a hard surface, make holes / divots / a groove / a channel for bipod legs where you want to place your bipod. Pour a little water on the snow, let if freeze to create an ice shelf and holes...works like a champ.

Or, place bipod on your shooting mat, jacket, backpack, or cut a piece of closed cell foam to place bipod on. I always cut up and use sleeping pads to sit, stand, place food, drink, etc on while out in winter backcountry.

Good luck.

Snow, Mud, Water, shitsand, uneven terrain where you can't move forward (to see over the rock), or 4 foot tall grass, what's the difference, none.
There are times when a bipod is a useless piece of shit.
Those are the times you need to be able to use the rifle without the crutch of a bipod.

Train with and without it. Know both ways.

Capt. Bill; once again you bring the right weapon to the gunfight. The problem isn't what solution, the problem is the question.

A friend once introduced me to a made-up term that fits this and many other situations. The term is "Fleximum Maxibility".

Greg

Coat or other piece textile is goot to go. If you have time stamp down the snow and use water..

For most kinds of terrain outside of golf courses and wind-packed deserts, a shooting stick tripod is more useful than a stock-attached bipod.

The tripod adjusts quickly between high kneeling and prone height, and is useful on steep, uneven, slippery, soft, rocky or logged terrain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frizbee </div></div>
+1. It also works well on movers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frizbee </div></div>
+1. It also works well on movers.</div></div>

And if a pack of wolves happens upon you, throw the frisbee one way and run the other....they fall for it every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhuskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snow, Mud, Water, shitsand, uneven terrain where you can't move forward (to see over the rock), or 4 foot tall grass, what's the difference, none.
There are times when a bipod is a useless piece of shit.
Those are the times you need to be able to use the rifle without the crutch of a bipod.

Train with and without it. Know both ways. </div></div>

Well said!!

A simple piece or webbing tied to each leg, so that its tight when the legs are open and down. We attached like 1-1.5" webbing, takes the weight like a snowshoe, then comes together in a loop, when folded. Can be used over a rail/pole/log too.

The answer is simple. If there is snow on the ground it's too cold to be outside shooting.
wink.gif

I've just come back from a hunting trip to Scotland where the short bipod I had was useless in the deep snow. The shooting stick and TAB sling were working overtime then !

I dig out a shooting lane for my self. That or make a small knoll with the snow to shoot from. It works good when the animals come in to the direction my lane is dug from. But if were talking coyotes be ready to shoot free hand

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use my scope cover.......Priceless! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frizbee </div></div>
+1. It also works well on movers.</div></div>

And if a pack of wolves happens upon you, throw the frisbee one way and run the other....they fall for it every time. </div></div>

ROFL!! Jason, I need to make sure I swallow my drink before reading your post now......off to clean the table.....
smile.gif

Generally, this the moment when the lightbulb erupts and the shooter begins to consider using another position besides prone.

I had physical/medical issues periodically during the 1990's (Staging laporotomies, 1990, 1995), which would essentially rule out the prone for two years at a time. I was forced to perfect my sitting position to the stage where my sitting performance rivalled my prone's.

Point is, this is a genuine possibility with adequate commitment and practice. Another option is an odd position called 'Rice Paddy Prone'. Look it up and try it, but take some time to give it a decent chance.

During training in Parris Island, in 1966; we were taught Offhand, Sitting, and Prone. We were trained until we had good performance in each, and then directed to use the lowest position that the environment permitted. For Tactical Fire and Maneuver, Team Pairs are taught to have one provide cover fire from Offhand while the other sets up in a lower position, then reverse roles while the standing member sets up lower.

Greg

AS a MG gunner in the CND army we use our snow shoes as a platform, if in a hurry we use the #2's back , there was an earlier post that mentioned the webbing between each leg +1 on this just make it really wide.

The snowshoes is a great idea. In one of ours Norwegian manuals they recommends to use the ski poles as shooting sticks.
And the bipod of the MG got pole baskets...

Pick your favorite=)

Greetings Norway

i use one of two things. If i have my snow shoes along...i sit on one and let my bipod ride on the other.

If NOT, then i usually have two cheap clear walmart floor mats for the back seat of a car. They are about 12x15 and work great to keep your butt from getting wet and keep your bipod riding high.