• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Harris vs. Ckye Pod...

Ryan7839

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
So, I'm in the market for a new bi-pod for a strictly comp gun.

I know that historically the fully-tricked out Harris has been the go-to, but the Ckye Pod is a pretty good runner-up.

They are both about the same price once outfitted properly.

So who has real-world experience with both and could recommenced one or the other?

A harris decked out with the RRS clamp, podlock, all of the PASS goodies (both sets of adapters, leg extensions), and hawk hill talons is around $450.

That's within about $50 of a Ckyepod.

Dang. I guess I've never thought about putting that much into a Harris. Now I know

Yeah, that’s why I haven’t upgraded mine beyond an ADM QD mount (and it’s excellent as is).

Any additional money I invest into a bipod will be going towards a Ckyepod.

I plan to upgrade from a Harris/Atlas to a Ckye or Elite Iron or ??? bipod when I have the funds available.

Last edited:
I’m gonna be the guy who comes along and suggests an option you didn’t ask about.

TBAC bipod.

I don’t care for all the sloppy play in the Ckye pod.

Reactions: drn1234
Wow, anyone that pumps $450 into a stamped metal bipod needs to give their head a shake.

The Ckye-pod is awesome, I love it. Great quality, and a ton of adjustments - I don't know any other bipod as versatile as the Ckye-pod. It really shines in field matches. However, if you only shoot at PRS matches on square ranges where ~95% of the stages involve shooting off of contrived props, you're probably not going to utilize most of the adjustment and features of the bipod.

An Atlas CAL and TBAC bipods are also worth consideration. If you shoot a lot of field matches, then the Ckye-pod has no peers. Otherwise, the Atlas CAL and TBAC are other worthy bipods to consider.

On a side note, any issues with the recommended bipods on heavy recoiling rifles such as a 338 Lapua etc.?

On a side note, any issues with the recommended bipods on heavy recoiling rifles such as a 338 Lapua etc.?

They got a new .50 cal Ckye pod. Everything is 20% beefier but the same adjustments as the regular Ckye. I liked the 5-H a little bit, but no my favorite.

Why not both?

I prefer the Harris over most everything, but the ckye pod has some use occasionally. It's worth noting that I shot the entire season with a Harris and didn't feel at a disadvantage.

Jon Pynch did the same I believe.

I know that historically the fully-tricked out Harris has been the go-to, but the Ckye Pod is a pretty good runner-up.

tenor.gif

They're not even close. In any measurable way.

Get the Ckyepod. The Harris is stamped metal, zero improvements since it's inception, and other vendors have had to provide upgrades for stuff it should have from the word go.

Or you could get a Ckyepod and it'll do everything you need and some stuff you don't.

If you don't want to spend Ckyepod money, get an Atlas Cal.

Harris doesn't even make it through the lobby. Nevermind what some pro shooter (among hundreds) uses, you ain't him.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/02/10/rifle-bipod-tripod/

Now, granted this article over a year old, but it still highlights some pros/cons of each. This is what I'm basing my "Harris has been the go-to" comment on.

I understand the whole "Harris is stamped, and hasn't been redesigned with all of the updates to accommodate the recoil of a tank" talk.

I currently run CALs, but I need/want to buy a RRS clamp for it anyway, so should I just go Harris at that time? I'm mainly looking for quicker deployment than I can get with the CAL. (Practice more, I know)

Also gonna suggest one you didn’t ask for lol

TRIPLE LEG CKYE FTW!!

I’m going to limit bipods to 18” or so in local cof’s I make from now on.

Most of the time I don’t buy into “it’s a gear race” but a $1k bipod people are using to get over props and such that others can’t is definitely a gear race.

Who cares? How's a 24" bipod any different than dowels cut off to fit Atlas legs? Or a tripod?

If you want to strap a kitchen sink to your pack because you like shooting off a faucet, have at it.

The answer to gear you don't like or agree with is a course of fire that negates it's use, if you can't think of a COF that accomplishes that, it should tell you something.

CKYE.

The ability to flip the legs out to the side is the one thing the harris doesn't do. Our match director likes to toss in a random sloped surface and the ckye is able to compensate. I used my gamechanger on the front and was left without a back bag (I only carry one) guy behind me stepped up with a CKYE and flipped the legs out, dropped his gamechanger in the back and was 100% stable.

I still primarily use a Harris, but the CKYE is worth it over a harris if you're going to spend that money. I like my Harris's for hunting, bench, prone, etc. I also don't do anything to my Harris's, as I've never managed to break one and they're so light I don't bother taking them on/off per stage.

I've shot for years with a Harris. I've never needed anything else. Never needed any wonky leg shapes etc.

I made my own arca adapter for about $13. That's the only upgrade it's ever needed.

Reactions: tydex21
If you’re shooting a lot of forked matches then the CKYE-Pod is a great option. But for your normal PRS match that’s on a square range it’s not really needed.

I like the Cryepod but I'm hesitant to get one because of cost and also based on experience running an Atlas gen 2 PSR. I've found myself in multiple situations running the Atlas wishing I had my Harris but yet to be running my Harris wishing I had any other bipod.

Another vote for the Ckyepod although Atlas has some nice options.
I also wish the Ckyepod was a bit tighter, I dislike the slop but love the versatility. I wonder if the new beefy version is tighter?
Others to consider might be Cadex, Accutac or Tier One. I believe LRA are no longer made.

Another vote for the Ckyepod although Atlas has some nice options.
I also wish the Ckyepod was a bit tighter, I dislike the slop but love the versatility. I wonder if the new beefy version is tighter?
Others to consider might be Cadex, Accutac or Tier One. I believe LRA are no longer made.

I have one of the early ckye-pods, I think one from the second batch ever made.

Can't say I get the complaints of the bipod not being tight enough, mine doesn't have much slop in it. Perhaps the newer versions are being built with more "slop" in it?

Mines tighter then the two Atlas's that I have.

I really started to lust after the Ckye-pod for a while, then MDT bought it up and increased the price by $100 without making the bipod $100 better which really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Now I'd rather just get the new Super-CAL for $190 less.

A shooter on a tight budget can make the Harris work, lots of folks do, but the criticisms hold water. I haven't touched mine since I bought an atlas CAL.

If you think both a Harris and a Ckye-Pod are about the same price, the Ckye-Pod will be much better bang for your buck on a competition-only rifle.

I have one of the early ckye-pods, I think one from the second batch ever made.

Can't say I get the complaints of the bipod not being tight enough, mine doesn't have much slop in it. Perhaps the newer versions are being built with more "slop" in it?

Mines tighter then the two Atlas's that I have.
I have one of the first MDT batches and mine is pretty loose. My only complaint really.
There is like an inch of play at the end of the legs, without extending. Every Atlas I have used was tighter.
Maybe I'll give them a call.

I have one of the first MDT batches and mine is pretty loose. My only complaint really.
There is like an inch of play at the end of the legs, without extending. Every Atlas I have used was tighter.
Maybe I'll give them a call.

Mine was manufactured before MDT came into the picture. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

An inch of play is an awful lot, and would probably bug me as well.

Bipods and PRS Events are not for Prone positions,

you barely shoot any prone and under the clock, does it matter... you are sliding in fast, dropping on top of the rifle, getting the shot off and moving a bipod on these targets under these conditions barely matter in the big picture from a prone standpoint, it's not a accuracy thing but touch the steel one. Most of the targets are well inside the accuracy capabilities of the rifle system being used. The weight on top of that renders most bipods in the prone irrelevant. If you stack a 20LBS+ 6mm on top of anything it will work. You can use a Magpul bipod and the rifle will barely notice in a PRS Event.

but alternate position, where the cyke pod can bridge positions and expand the flexibility of the rifle will set itself apart. You are trying to create stability in a compromised position. The wider stance matters.

A lot of you people have no idea what CONTEXT Means and want to point at two conflicting points of view that have nothing to do with each other. False equivalency reigns supreme in a lot of these comments.

You are either completely ignorant of the facts, or just working off of 3-year-old examples of how things worked then, trying to overlay them to today. It's a silly discussion if you are gonna play a game you use the best tools for that game, why on earth would you compromise the tool because it has worked in limited situations in the past.

I can shoot an entire PRS without a bipod, just bring a game-changer and tripod and I bet you'd barely notice. It's a game, the tools designed to play that game are there for a reason.

Mine was manufactured before MDT came into the picture. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

An inch of play is an awful lot, and would probably bug me as well.

I would hazard to guess.
MDT said to send them a video and they'd look after me if I wasn't happy with it, so we'll see.
It drives me crazy how much slop and banging around the legs do when moving with the rifle.
I have been using an Accutac or Tier One bipod for load development as I was not confident in the stability of the Ckyepod. Obviously for PRS, getting into position quickly and banging steel it doesn't really matter but it still plays in the back of my head.

I would hazard to guess.
MDT said to send them a video and they'd look after me if I wasn't happy with it, so we'll see.
It drives me crazy how much slop and banging around the legs do when moving with the rifle.
I have been using an Accutac or Tier One bipod for load development as I was not confident in the stability of the Ckyepod. Obviously for PRS, getting into position quickly and banging steel it doesn't really matter but it still plays in the back of my head.

The problem with talking about it over the internet is that we can't quantify how much "slop" or slack there is in the bipod, and what I may consider fairly tight may be really loose for someone else. For all we know, both our bipods may have the exact same amount of slop and we just happen to have different preferences.

Mine seems to have the perfect amount of slack for my needs. As Lowlight above says, these bipods are designed with slack in the system. I do not want my Ckye-pod to be as tight as my LRA F-class bipod. Different bipods with different features that are designed to excel at different purposes.

I've found mine to work perfectly in the field, I don't think the Ckye-pod has any peers for shooting in the field. I have no problems either shooting prone with it, in fact some of the best groups I've ever shot (5 shot ~0.10 MOA) have been with the Ckye-pod shooting off concrete.

If it does bug you, then talking with MDT to get a resolution is probably your best bet. They seem to be pretty awesome people to work with.

Reactions: adam1972
For sure, I agree. There is nothing as versatile, I was just hoping that mine would be at least as tight as an Atlas.
I have already spoken to and emailed MDT so we will see what happens from there. They suggested I send them a video, so I did alongside a tape measure. I have always had really good experiences with them.
In some situations it will just stay in the bag when I'm using certain rifles, where I'll use the Tier One FTR for different purposes.
Slop or not, it's by far the best all around I have found.

A quick update for those curious about service levels at MDT.

After a quick email and video showing my concerns of excess play, asking if it was normal, Ryan quickly replied and offered to send a replacement.
Really impressed with MDT and their commitment to their products. Wasn't my first purchase from them and definitely won't be my last.

Scourge, is your replacement significantly better? I just got a Ckyepod and am less than impressed in the amount of play...

Bipods and PRS Events are not for Prone positions,

you barely shoot any prone and under the clock, does it matter... you are sliding in fast, dropping on top of the rifle, getting the shot off and moving a bipod on these targets under these conditions barely matter in the big picture from a prone standpoint, it's not a accuracy thing but touch the steel one. Most of the targets are well inside the accuracy capabilities of the rifle system being used. The weight on top of that renders most bipods in the prone irrelevant. If you stack a 20LBS+ 6mm on top of anything it will work. You can use a Magpul bipod and the rifle will barely notice in a PRS Event.

but alternate position, where the cyke pod can bridge positions and expand the flexibility of the rifle will set itself apart. You are trying to create stability in a compromised position. The wider stance matters.

A lot of you people have no idea what CONTEXT Means and want to point at two conflicting points of view that have nothing to do with each other. False equivalency reigns supreme in a lot of these comments.

You are either completely ignorant of the facts, or just working off of 3-year-old examples of how things worked then, trying to overlay them to today. It's a silly discussion if you are gonna play a game you use the best tools for that game, why on earth would you compromise the tool because it has worked in limited situations in the past.

I can shoot an entire PRS without a bipod, just bring a game-changer and tripod and I bet you'd barely notice. It's a game, the tools designed to play that game are there for a reason.

this is by far the best response to this whole thread. To be honest I think the MDT Cyke-pod is the best bipod period. whether you are shooting games or shooting people, the ability for the bipod to adapt to many weird positions to aid you in stability is what matters the most to me.

A shooter local to me once said that the Atlus bipod is the most stable bipod out there. If you want to have tight groups you need to get the Atlus. I guess he thought the Ckye pod was causing him to shoot like a turd.
Another vote for the Ckye pod. The Ckye pod is the best bipod right now IMO. So much adjustment and versatility. It really is the best bipod.
I do have to say that mine also has a ton of slop and I need to get it looked at because everyone who has one local to me says its not "normal."