• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone any Stories about firing a Barrett ?

MilDot1960

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2013
Past week or so I have been watching the Boys out in the Gulf on YT, Those Guys made me laugh til the tears came, Funny as f**K, In one video the Guys were mixing it up and one of the Guys comes out with " Oh Great Right Next To the F**king Barrett" and some of the other Guys started laughing, It makes me smile every time I think of it, Just his Chilled out disapproval appealed to my sense of humour,

What Say You ? and what are they like to shoot, I see the Barrel appears to slide back so how bad is the recoil when compared to a 308 or 30-06 etc,

Thanks in advance.

John.

I have the image somewhere, but I was at Fort Campell doing classes for the 101st, and they had the Barrett

I was taking pictures with my big old Nikon D2 and as the sun was going down so the muzzle blast was a cool purple-blue, I moved up to take pictures of it. The recoil shockwave broke the camera. it would still take a picture but no settings worked anymore.

When I sent it to Nikon for repair they were like, WTF happened inside this camera. No, no, no, you are paying for this repair, LOL so I got charged to fix it because the Barrett killed the internals of the camera. I never told them what broke it, and they were pretty animated about it.

I've only fired one twice and the recoil was totally manageable. I would have to fire it side by side with another rifle to compare, but I'd say it was more than my .308 semi and maybe about like my braked.338.

Really, being next to one is much worse than being behind one. The tank brake is brutal concussion.

Reactions: MilDot1960
Which one? I have a few rounds through an 82A1 a few years back. I liken it to a stout 12ga (maybe a 3 1/2 mag or 1oz slug). The recoil impulse wasn't sharp like a rifle usually feels, more more of a mellow shove like a shotgun. You definitely know you've touched one off, but it's not bad.

Try one if you get the chance!

LOL, Geeze Frank that turned out to be and expensive Photo, D2 is part of there Pro range if I remember correctly. I have never heard of any pro Cameras needing life support even in a War zone,

John.

I have the image somewhere, but I was at Fort Campell doing classes for the 101st, and they had the Barrett

I was taking pictures with my big old Nikon D2 and as the sun was going down so the muzzle blast was a cool purple-blue, I moved up to take pictures of it. The recoil shockwave broke the camera. it would still take a picture but no settings worked anymore.

When I sent it to Nikon for repair they were like, WTF happened inside this camera. No, no, no, you are paying for this repair, LOL so I got charged to fix it because the Barrett killed the internals of the camera. I never told them what broke it, and they were pretty animated about it.

A few years back, we had a machine gun shoot up in northern AZ. Some guy who goes (went? Don't know if he's still around.) by the handle "DangerousBob" brought an old 90mm howitzer along. The concussion from that thing killed my little Sony point and shoot for a few hours. :ROFLMAO: It eventually worked again, but it had a rattle in it from then onward. That thing was freakin' amazing! We cracked a few van-sized boulders into pieces that weekend! :p

I shoot one one from time to time. the shooter is actually in the best position. directly behind is not bad, but to the side of the brake it will thump your chest pretty damn good.

You know when your at the range and the guy next to you has the really loud/obnoxious muzzle brake, take that and times by about 1000. That is why the guy said "oh great the barrett". If you are not shooting it, your not going to enjoy it.

I wouldn't mind giving one a squeeze, but being such a huge cartridge I always thought that they would beat you to death yet the Guys in the Video don't even flinch, while the rest of their crew are cussing about the over pressure. some using ear buds and cans and the Guy firing the thing only has ear buds in, It seems that either model is a great source of entertainment.

Thanks Guys,

John.

Recoil is nothing. Muzzle blast/concussion after a magazine or two makes me feel like I've been in a low speed car wreck. It feels like my internal organs have been jostled around.

If you want the full experience shoot one under a roof or surrounded by walls.

Recoil is nothing. Muzzle blast/concussion after a magazine or two makes me feel like I've been in a low speed car wreck. It feels like my internal organs have been jostled around.

Lol, That's funny, I can just picture that, I think the blast under a Tin Roof would peal back the sheets.

John.

I had a M82-1. I took it out to a buddy's the first time I shot it. I was prone behink it. the recoil was manageable but when I looked around at him he was covered with dirt and leaves from the blast coming out the brake. They are amazing. After shooting we walked down to the woods behind the target and could see that one shot had gone through three 16" or so trees so tight you could pull a string line. I had a piece of 3/4 palte stell it pieced with no trouble.

I dcided to talke the Barret Armourer's course out at the NRA Whittington center. First day was all classroom then on the second day we went to the firing line. The cloass was split with 1/2 int he pits pulling target. Yuo could hear the crack as at 1000 yds the rounds were still super sonic. Shot 70 or so rounds that day and though managable, my shoulder was sore as fuck.

Then I was shoting down in Texas with a friend who used to teach the Seals LR. First shot I forgot to put on my hearing protection. For two days all I could hear was the action cycling then it tamed down to this continual high pitched whine called Tinnitus. Shot a few API's and one of them set the grass on fire so that was the end of that day.

Wuite a piece of machinery. If yu get the chance, do it.

On the Barrett semi-autos, For the shooter, if you are outdoors in the wide open and have double hearing protection, they are not bad at all to shoot, very similar to any other higher powered rifle, but any bystanders need to be in a line directly behind the shooter or you are going to not be happy.

Also it's not something that you want to be shooting if there are other people close to you on the line. Kind of an anti-social gun to shoot.

Now if you want something that you will remember.... shoot a .50 bmg with no muzzle break and a nice big suppressor from the prone position.....

I had a M82-1. I took it out to a buddy's the first time I shot it. I was prone behink it. the recoil was manageable but when I looked around at him he was covered with dirt and leaves from the blast coming out the brake. They are amazing. After shooting we walked down to the woods behind the target and could see that one shot had gone through three 16" or so trees so tight you could pull a string line. I had a piece of 3/4 palte stell it pieced with no trouble.

I dcided to talke the Barret Armourer's course out at the NRA Whittington center. First day was all classroom then on the second day we went to the firing line. The cloass was split with 1/2 int he pits pulling target. Yuo could hear the crack as at 1000 yds the rounds were still super sonic. Shot 70 or so rounds that day and though managable, my shoulder was sore as fuck.

Then I was shoting down in Texas with a friend who used to teach the Seals LR. First shot I forgot to put on my hearing protection. For two days all I could hear was the action cycling then it tamed down to this continual high pitched whine called Tinnitus. Shot a few API's and one of them set the grass on fire so that was the end of that day.

Wuite a piece of machinery. If yu get the chance, do it.
Lol, That made me laugh til I cried, I can just see the look on his face after you covered him in crap, Poor Bugga damn that's funny.

John.

On the Barrett semi-autos, For the shooter, if you are outdoors in the wide open and have double hearing protection, they are not bad at all to shoot, very similar to any other higher powered rifle, but any bystanders need to be in a line directly behind the shooter or you are going to not be happy.

Also it's not something that you want to be shooting if there are other people close to you on the line. Kind of an anti-social gun to shoot.

Now if you want something that you will remember.... shoot a .50 bmg with no muzzle break and a nice big suppressor from the prone position.....
Does the suppressor lower the recoil will I end up spitting out teeth lol.

John.

Lol, That's funny, I can just picture that, I think the blast under a Tin Roof would peal back the sheets.

John.
The one that I shot was under a sheet metal roof. It blew all kinds of crap out of the seams in the roof and just may have loosened the roof a bit.

Does the suppressor lower the recoil will I end up spitting out teeth lol.

John.

A standard suppressor on a .50 bmg doesn't do anything for recoil that I could tell. It makes it much quieter and easy to shoot with just single hearing protection and there is no big muzzle blast, so it's nicer for everyone else.
But just picture everytime you touch off the trigger a donkey kicks you in the shoulder and cheekbone as hard as it can. (And this is with a 27 pound rifle).

The one that I shot was under a sheet metal roof. It blew all kinds of crap out of the seams in the roof and just may have loosened the roof a bit.
Ouch that would of made you popular, the closest I have come to something like that was when I was setting up a scope on a .22 and my mate decided to let rip with his 450 Nitro and never told any one, made my ears ring for a week. Someone kept pestering him to have ago needless to say the scope gave em a Love Bite. Lol.

John.

I used to work security at a site here in the US and we had several 50 cal Barretts that were used in case we needed to stop a vehicle. Our training tower was covered in sheet metal and steel plates. We wore ear plugs under our ear muffs and that shit would still rattle your teeth every shot. And god forbid some asshat didn't get the muzzle out of the firing port... only happened once or twice that I saw. (Keep in mind this was part of a pretty stressful course of fire involving 4/5 weapon systems depending on your quals so people make mistakes) fun system but now that I'm a cop I don't miss carrying all that gear. Funny to hear people complaining about what we carry and I'm like try running up a staircase with a 40lb rifle, another rifle and all that duty crap.

A standard suppressor on a .50 bmg doesn't do anything for recoil that I could tell. It makes it much quieter and easy to shoot with just single hearing protection and there is no big muzzle blast, so it's nicer for everyone else.
But just picture everytime you touch off the trigger a donkey kicks you in the shoulder and cheekbone as hard as it can. (And this is with a 27 pound rifle).
That would knock me in to the next county, No Thanks, lol.

Back when I was a youngster I only weighed 147 pounds and I bought a 30-06 with hand loads @ 3000fps, by the time I have fired about 10 shots it had slid me back about a foot from the firing line, after 27 shots I could not move my shoulders for about a week. I was ok that day but the next morning I couldn't move.

I fired a Barrett 50 and I swear the recoil wasn't much more than my un braked 308. Very comfortable recoil. It wasn't accurate worth a shit but I think that was the surplus ammo.

Shooting position was prone on grass. *edit shot a full mag which I think was 5 rnds
huj9ky.jpg

Last edited:

John.

The last time I shot my 50 was on a PD range where they'd built a Sims shoot-house/ Elevated shooting platform out of shipping containers behind the firing line. I let one of the RO's shoot a magazine while I stood directly behind him. The muzzle blast was bouncing off of those steel walls and kicking my ass.

I've also learned to clear my back-blast area because spectators would walk up behind and to the side of me to watch and my first indication they were there was a lot of cursing and screaming.

On the old Hide there was a member who had a 20mm (?) anti-tank gun who used to shoot a LOT of rounds through it as well as a 50 on his range outings and said the muzzle blast didn't bother him. I happily surrendered my man card and really regret not taking him up on his generous offer to come shoot.

I used to work security at a site here in the US and we had several 50 cal Barretts that were used in case we needed to stop a vehicle. Our training tower was covered in sheet metal and steel plates. We wore ear plugs under our ear muffs and that shit would still rattle your teeth every shot. And god forbid some asshat didn't get the muzzle out of the firing port... only happened once or twice that I saw. (Keep in mind this was part of a pretty stressful course of fire involving 4/5 weapon systems depending on your quals so people make mistakes) fun system but now that I'm a cop I don't miss carrying all that gear. Funny to hear people complaining about what we carry and I'm like try running up a staircase with a 40lb rifle, another rifle and all that duty crap.
It's good to have a place where you can go and use a Barrett, I think the general public would have a fit if you had to fire one in a public place,

I hate recoil but got a chance to shoot an m82a1 last summer. I would compare the recoil to a 308, the 98b in 338 had a lot worse recoil than the 50 in a semi auto. Later that day, the guy that brought it caught the berm on fire with the tracer rounds and it wasn't even that dry out. Speaking of shooting one surrounded by walls would be a no go for me lol. I shot my 16" 308 with a brake with plywood dividers between stalls at the 200 meter range since the 600 yard was closed. I didn't think it was bad but when I left I thought I had a concussion. My head hurt and I felt foggy headed the rest of the day, we laid in front of it the next time we went there.

The last time I shot my 50 was on a PD range where they'd built a Sims shoot-house/ Elevated shooting platform out of shipping containers behind the firing line. I let one of the RO's shoot a magazine while I stood directly behind him. The muzzle blast was bouncing off of those steel walls and kicking my ass.

I've also learned to clear my back-blast area because spectators would walk up behind and to the side of me to watch and my first indication they were there was a lot of cursing and screaming.

On the old Hide there was a member who had a 20mm (?) anti-tank gun who used to shoot a LOT of rounds through it as well as a 50 on his range outings and said the muzzle blast didn't bother him. I happily surrendered my man card and really regret not taking him up on his generous offer to come shoot.
If the blast didn't bother him he must of been in Artillery, those boys like any thing loud,

Struth he must of bought his powder by the 44 gallon drum, that 20mm is not cheap to feed.

John.

Reactions: Bender
Had a B99 and that I shot a bit. The recoil wasn't very bad at all, however the concussion from the brake was amazing. As you shot it the pulse would travel thru your sinuses and would make snot come flying out if you were congested. I miss it and will eventually get another 50.

Lol, Lets hope the next one comes with a free box of Kleenex,

I wonder how it compares to the CheyTac 408/375.

I've shot the 82 and agree the recoil is about like a 12ga slug, but still a bit different.

A buddy bought one a while later and brought it with him on duty with hopes of a slow day so he could drive to the range to shoot it.
Later that day he asked me to meet him there. He had it set up on the trunk of his patrol car.
I told him that probably wasn't a good idea, but he knew better so I just backed up and watched.

When he fired, the concussion blew the chrome trim completely off his back windshield.
I about pissed myself laughing at the look of terror on his face when he realized he'd have to explain to the sheriff what he'd done.

It's good to have a place where you can go and use a Barrett, I think the general public would have a fit if you had to fire one in a public place,
We were shooting the M 82 at my buddy's place well up into the mountains of central Virginia. We shot forabout 1/2 hour then stopped for a beer. Wehn we started up again a state police helicopter very carefully came up over the ridge, watched for a couple minutes, then left. I guess they were checking to see who was setting off dynamite and when they saw we were shooting into a mountain and being careful, they were satisfied. The suckers are LOUD.

I like the video on youtube of the guy knocking out the tail light of a Ford Ranger with the brake just inches away from it since they were shooting off the tailgate.

I can't believe how lucky that Guy is shooting at a quarry/range where it ricochets back past his head.

I am pretty sure that has been proven to be fake. I could be mistaken, just saying.
Yeah come to think of it you might be right, I have seen what the Barrett can do to a person and the fact that once fired it normally goes straight through what it hits first time so there is little chance of a ricochet,

John.

^^^ This.

Recoil is no worse than a 3" 12 gauge. The concussion is, well, significant.

Big pussy cat of a rifle.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I load for .50. And I buy powder by the 100 lb load.... It goes pretty fast!

^^^ This.

Recoil is no worse than a 3" 12 gauge. The concussion is, well, significant.

Big pussy cat of a rifle.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I load for .50. And I buy powder by the 100 lb load.... It goes pretty fast!
So how much powder does it take/hold to get it dialled In ?

John.

So how much powder does it take/hold to get it dialled In ?

John.

I started loading with H50 BMG and that load with pulled military bullets is anywhere between 210 grains (for solids) and up to about 225 grains for APIT or tracer. I'd have to look in my loading books to confirm. But you get about 31 - 35 rounds per pound of powder.

About 3 years ago, I switched to recycled military powder. Costs about 1/2 or 1/3rd as much depending on quantity and supplier. It's got an oddball designation and I've have to look at the jugs to remember it. Uses about the same amount, grain-wise. But for a belt-fed, it's much more economical.

1521152324455.png

Cheers,

Sirhr

I started loading with H50 BMG and that load with pulled military bullets is anywhere between 210 grains (for solids) and up to about 225 grains for APIT or tracer. I'd have to look in my loading books to confirm. But you get about 31 - 35 rounds per pound of powder.

About 3 years ago, I switched to recycled military powder. Costs about 1/2 or 1/3rd as much depending on quantity and supplier. It's got an oddball designation and I've have to look at the jugs to remember it. Uses about the same amount, grain-wise. But for a belt-fed, it's much more economical.

View attachment 6884289

Cheers,

Sirhr
SOB, I should have figured you had a rig like this.
Rat Patrol...

R

Dunno about a Barrett, but I fired 10 rounds through a friend's EDM Windrunner years ago. I was really surprised at the mild recoil. It wasn't much different from a .308; as some have described, it's more of a push than a sharp recoil. The range was set up with shooting bays: cinder block walls on each side to separate shooters and a tin roof. Man, what a report and muzzle blast.

I was shooting my .308 Rem 700 at an uncovered range once (no cover, no separation between shooters) Some guy chose the table on my left to set up his Barrett. I had my empty cases (in 5-shot groups) standing on the right of my rifle; I'm right-handed. (Once I finished the 5-shot group, I'd stick 'em in the MTM reloading case.) When his 50BMG round went off, the vacuum would knock the standing cases down by sucking them across the table to the left under my rifle, then the muzzle blast would speedily roll them back towards where then were standing originally. Loud as hell, even in the open.

I used it as a training tool, and still kept .3-.5 MOA groups, but it was tough, and a good lesson on discipline and relaxation. I was pleased as shit to keep .5 MOA with that 50 next to me.

Firing it is great. Observing for it sucks donkey dick....although it's very easy to see impacts from a Raufoss round. Fun stuff

Had a B99 and that I shot a bit. The recoil wasn't very bad at all, however the concussion from the brake was amazing. As you shot it the pulse would travel thru your sinuses and would make snot come flying out if you were congested. I miss it and will eventually get another 50.
Lmaoooooooo!!!!! ????

Yeah, there ain’t anything to it as long as you are shooting correctly! As others have said the concussion after a long shooting session with a brake will make you feel like you have been through a series of small explosions for a day. Hard to describe unless you’ve experienced it. Ringing in the ears and a headache is probably guaranteed to unless you are used to it. Then again, I can get the same problems after shooting next to someone else with a braked .308Win to, just not quite as bad.