• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone found cheap .338" bullets?

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
I just ordered a 50% off Wilson Combat 16" 338 Federal AR barrel and some reloading dies.

Now I was looking for .338 bullets and wow, those are expensive!

I understand the big 250+ grain bullets made for .338 Lapua but due to the short barrel and limited powder charge of 338 Federal, I probably need 180 or 200 grain bullets and it seems like the Speer Hot Core is the cheapest thing out there but still $0.28 each and it doesn't even have a boat tail.

I'm not looking for anything too exotic but I would like to have a bullet consistent enough that MOA sized groups are possible and hopefully the construction is durable enough that the bullet will stay together if it hits meat.

If anyone knows where I can find a good affordable .338 bullet, let me know.

Might try this:
I guess it depends on what "affordable" means. Berger's 300 OTMs are affordable compared to some other vendors (e.g. cutting edge bullets or Warner Tool monolithics)

29¢ per:

26¢ per:
https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/spee...caliber-338-200-gr-spitzer-soft-point-50-box/ (their website sucks for me)

Midway had a sale on seconds.

I got three flavors of 200 grain bullet: I think 300 SSTs, 100 FTX and 50 Accubonds. The bullets that I think are SST and FTX were about $0.24 each, the bonded bullets were about $0.40 each. I have a jug of H335 which I think is appropriate for 200 grain 338 Federal. That's probably the first thing I'm going to try any way.

I'll use LC brass and CCI #34 primers probably.

I got my barrel and Midway bullet order.

The .338 bullets I thought were FTX seem to look exactly like the bullets I think are SST.

The bonded bullets with white plastic tips look really nice.

My reloading dies and Hornady .308 modified case are coming soon. I'll have to resize the modified case but that should be easy.

The barrel looks nice. It's a pretty thin profile and nicely finished. It's almost entirely covered by my 15" Quantum M-lok handguard. I might look for a 12" blem or something.

Yep, I got 300 of those and 100 that seem identical for a few cents more. I was hoping one was the FTX but I think they are both SST.

Not really, that's $0.65 each and 250 grains is heavier than I want.