• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone seen this before

79_z28

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
url]
h[/img] This is a brand new Remington Sps varmint. 243 has never had a round threw it just wondering if anyone has seen this before

Re: Has anyone seen this before

Due to recent political correctness measures it's the new double rifling process that allows the bullet to choose which way to spin instead of putting pressure on it to go one way or the other.

Thanks for the fix

Well, looks interesting to say the least.

so wouldnt that make it hard to compensate for spin drift if u dont know which way its going to drift?

I know Remington has a "historical" series of rifles (can't remember what they call it) but trying to merge the smoothbore musket and the Model 700 does seem a bit odd...

Looks like Remington figured out how to cancel out the spin drift....

Should shoot straight as a laser now!

Kudos to the Engineers and Quality Control at Remington.

Lmfao I call it Remington's new hot rod lol. 9 1/8 twist with a 3/16 reverse twist reduce the copper fouling.

So... Seriously... WTF?! All sarcasm aside, why does that look that way? Is that the tool marks left from whatever drills the bore?

Sure looks like they cut the rifling twice, once from each end haha. Hard to tell in the picture but is it just scratches or is it actually grooves? If so call Remington and get a new rifle.

It sure looks like grooves to me, but I am wondering why would Remington have a left hand twist rifling machine?

Have they ever cut left twist rifling?

its possible that someone rifled it from the other end of the barrel as well. that would put a left hand twist. so basically they did it once from the right end and once from the wrong end. Not sure just a possibility. Just call remington and let them know.

This is from Remington's new line called Mall Ninja Gear. The rifling is designed that way so that forensics can not link a bullet fired to a particular rifle. Did it by chance come equipped with a CounterSniper brand scope? The CS scope would be a sure sign that the intended market is the Mall Ninja.

The motto for the new line is "For those OPs that are Blacker than Black"

Enjoy,

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its possible that someone rifled it from the other end of the barrel as well. that would put a left hand twist. so basically they did it once from the right end and once from the wrong end. Not sure just a possibility. Just call remington and let them know. </div></div>

No. Going from either end will produce the same twist direction.
Several years ago I got a barrel on a PSS not quite as bad from Remmy. I sent it back and they returned it to me saying it looked fine. I sent it back a second time and ask them to have a second look. This time they shot it and said it met their 2" group at 100 yard standard and sent it back to me with a bill for the test firing. And that was what Remmy considered a rifle fit for a police department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its possible that someone rifled it from the other end of the barrel as well. that would put a left hand twist. so basically they did it once from the right end and once from the wrong end. Not sure just a possibility. Just call remington and let them know. </div></div>

Not possible from just flipping the barrel. A RH twist is RH from either end of the barrel.

I really can't think of what they could have done to cause this without deliberately trying to make that LH cut after the RH cut. Does anyone know of any barrel inspection equipment, lapping equipment, etc. that could have been out of whack and run down the barrel scratching the LH grooves? It boggles my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its possible that someone rifled it from the other end of the barrel as well. that would put a left hand twist. so basically they did it once from the right end and once from the wrong end. Not sure just a possibility. Just call remington and let them know. </div></div>

Not possible from just flipping the barrel. A RH twist is RH from either end of the barrel.

I really can't think of what they could have done to cause this without deliberately trying to make that LH cut after the RH cut. Does anyone know of any barrel inspection equipment, lapping equipment, etc. that could have been out of whack and run down the barrel scratching the LH grooves? It boggles my mind. </div></div>

Yeah your right. Thanks brain fart I guess haha.

relatively simple to figure out. If you run a button or cut rifler down a smooth barrel blank, then upon reversing the machine, the direction of rotation for the cutter needs to reverse as well. If for some reason that direction doesn't reverse...then you have rifling crossing in "X"s.

My guess is that something went wildly wrong with the rifling machine causing it to pull the cut or button rifling tool out without changing the rotation direction of the rod itself.

--Wintermute

I think it's an optical illusion caused by the angle of your light reflecting off the rifling. However, I'd slug the barrel and and see what the slug looks like or find someone with a borescope to check it out. I probably wouldn't shoot it without some more inspection but then I'm kind of attached to all my body parts.
cool.gif

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charger442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This would have never happened if you would have bought an FN.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Best response in this thread so far
smile.gif

I'd tweak it though: This never would have happened if you'd bought an FN, Tikka, or Sako
laugh.gif

--Wintermute

Nothing fabricated fellas. Pic is good to go. Have never had anything quite like this show up to date (barrel rifling wise).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This would have never happened if you would have bought an FN. smile</div></div>
If I spend the time and locate a couple photo's, your smile may head south.

With that said, I could probably pull pics for all makes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing fabricated fellas. Pic is good to go. Have never had anything quite like this show up to date (barrel rifling wise). </div></div>

Do I understand correctly that you have seen this rifle in person and it looks like the picture?

Yeah, I ordered this rifle in for an employee (79Z28) and we set the action up in a stock, bedded, etc. Next day I cleaned the rifle up and noticed the very unique cuts in the bore.

Also, this bore front to back was looked at through a bore scope by myself and another.

I still have the rifle in my office if anyone is interested. Maybe we should start taking bids....lol

I don't know if it would be safe, but I'm curious as hell to see how it shoots. I wonder if it would just shred the bullet jacket on the way down the barrel. Either way this is just another check in the shitty remington QA column.

Can you take a few more pics? I agree with the other poster that mentioned it looks like threads stretched tight...

Replace it with another barrel and keep that one, maybe cut it lengthways as a display piece.

It is not threads stretched tight. That would be tough to do I would think.

If I get some time I may grab my camera and snap a few.

This barrel has been a pretty discussed item around here for the simple fact that it is odd, and we were curious how it came to be this way. Not familiar enough with how Rem rifles.

This in no way was to bash Remington. I ordered a replacement and it looks fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not threads stretched tight. That would be tough to do I would think.

If I get some time I may grab my camera and snap a few.

This barrel has been a pretty discussed item around here for the simple fact that it is odd, and we were curious how it came to be this way. Not familiar enough with how Rem rifles.

This in no way was to bash Remington. I ordered a replacement and it looks fine. </div></div>

How could it not be a knock on remington? They sent that shit to you as a finished product you paid money for. Did it have a guarantee on the box? All that means is its a guaranteed peice of shit

It would probably throw a knuckle ball down range that Phil Niekro would be proud of.....Knucklebullet.

It is not a thumbs up item out of Remington, but it wasn't posted to knock Remington. It was simply posted to see if any out there have run across something like it. We certainly have not and we see a lot of rifles from all manufactures.

A bit of photographic genius to create the appearance of a bore defect. What were you projecting down the bore to lead your Hide brethren on this interesting ruse?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit of photographic genius to create the appearance of a bore defect.</div></div>

Shaking my head

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uncontrolled Copy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit of photographic genius to create the appearance of a bore defect. What were you projecting down the bore to lead your Hide brethren on this interesting ruse? </div></div>

Sure doesnt look like a genius had his hands on that barrel :p

It looks like there is a different number of right and left twist cuts though, anyone knowledgeable of rifling tooling know how that could happen?

Im curious as to what remington says as well.

It does not look to me like there is a left and right twist, only a right twist. the other marks look to be straight but beacuse of the right twist apear to be twisting left.

Ok, all I have on hand is a Canon Powershot. This is what I came up with. BTW, not sure if Remington test fires every rifle, but this one doesn't appear to have been as the bolt face has a small amount of grease on it. The replacement rifle has copper on the bolt face from firing at least a round or two.

Curious of what went wrong or how this happened. Any barrel makers wanna guess, know, etc?

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

looks like a a left hand twist at one rate, then a right hand twist at another rate. could have been a rifle that was made didnt get put together and a barrel went back through the machine to cut the rifling again?

Another vote to test fire it! From behind a protective shield of some sort, lest the entire thing explode.

I figured it out. Remington got a pissed off gunsmith who decided he would leave with a bang. You just happened to buy the "Bang"